Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Question About Tire Wear

Hi all, I have a question about tires. Is it a good idea to get RV TT trailer tires balanced? I realize that they usually "age out" before they "wear out."

Our 2015 TT came with Goodyear Marathons but were never balanced from the factory. We do have factory shocks on it and I rarely travel above 60mph.

Just wondering if its worth getting them balanced or not. They seem to be wearing evenly so far.

Also, our trailer is used only seasonally. We are not full-timers.

infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2017, 10:50 PM   #2

Dad always told me.......if it goes round & round at speed best that it do so 'balanced'

Imagine tires rolling smooth vs bouncing/slapping the road.
Balancing removes that bouncing/slapping effect.

Any thing that helps lessen strain/stress on trailer, axles, wheel bearings, suspension and goodies inside is worth it IMHO

And it's cheap

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:27 AM   #3

Old-Biscuit nailed the answer.
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:35 AM   #4

Just got new wheels and tires for my trailer. The tech looked at me like I was crazy when I confirmed that, yes, I want my trailer tires balanced.
Afterwards 3 of the 4 wheels needed some significant weight to balance them out. Without them they likely would have vibrated horribly which would translate into much faster bearing wear.
Nut4speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
Just got new wheels and tires for my trailer. The tech looked at me like I was crazy when I confirmed that, yes, I want my trailer tires balanced.
Afterwards 3 of the 4 wheels needed some significant weight to balance them out. Without them they likely would have vibrated horribly which would translate into much faster bearing wear.
Thanks...good point. I didn't think about bearing wear. I think for that reason alone I'll have them balanced.

BTW what brand of tires are they?
infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

Goodyear Cargo G26
Nut4speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #7

New steel or aluminum wheels are not perfectly balanced, now you put a tire on them that's out of balanced. An out of balanced wheel assemble kill's shocks, and as mentioned above shakes the hell out of the whole rig and stuff in it.

CLIFFORD.
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

I wonder how many ST tire blow outs are from an out of balanced tire? Considering that almost no RV tires are balanced from the factory, then there's probably a decent chance that some are.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #9

I was reading today about how important it is to balance tires. Now I learned something else, make sure they are in balance when brand new. I thought they were fine till now.
Pappystoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #10

I balance mine very time I put a new one on.
Most tire shops also look surprised when I want it balanced
How much heat is generated into the tire as it compresses on the way to bouncing up and then compresses on the way down from the bounce or out of balance sling. My guess the heat is a lot less from an even rotation and slight compression from weight than from all the extra compression. Also the additional flexing of the sidewall only serves to increase tread separation from heat and flexing in my book.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:49 PM   #11

I have never cared for ST tires... so I switched to LT tires when the RV was new... I ALWAYS balance and use a tire supplier who will re-balance FREE.... have this done every two years... and when the tires are worn down 60% change them out... with the RV sitting and than being towed... I just worry about the tires...

After my BIL with ST tires, and I don't know how many issues he's had... I finally bought a second "point and shoot" temperature gauge from Harbor Freight.... and talked him into checking tire, hub, and brake drum temperature each time he stops at a rest stop..... the first time he found a brake drum with no temperature rise from the stop... he looked under the trailer and found one of the electric brake wires broken...

it pays ..... TEST, DON'T GUESS..