Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #1

Question for a TT electrical guru

We are at Harpers Ferry KOA for the weekend. They celebrate Halloween every weekend in Oct. decorated RVs and all. Which brings me to my question. In walking around last night I saw a number of TTs with their running lights on. I asked a guy how he did that and he showed me where he put a wire connecting (shunting) the #1 and #7 pins on his connector. It looked really neat but are they doing any damage top their electrical system?
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #2

Just a draw on the battery. Running lights are designed to run for hours on end.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn
Just a draw on the battery. Running lights are designed to run for hours on end.
I'm hooked up to 110. Just wondering if shorting out the two terminals would cause a problem.
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NO problem at all, the two pins are "Battery" and "Tail-Light" From the viewpoint of the batteries... Less you have more lights than you do converter it's a "Nothing" operation, that is the converter takes the load not the battery so it don't matter.

From the viewpoint of the lights, AND the cord, it's the same as driving down the highway at night. That is normal operation.

So it's no problem at all.

Some folks use a fuse, slightly modified (Bend the tabs a b it) to connect those two pins,

Some use a flasher (use a 2-terminal HD type)

My suggestion is to get a socket and wire up a fuse or flasher to it,, That way you do not accidently short the WRONG two pins, I'm not sure what is on the other side of the battery lead 10 amp fuse may be big enough by the way, Not sure. (Figure 1 amp for each tail light and half an amp for each marker at least, You may need to make that 1 amp per lamp).
Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #5

The charge line on the trailer plug is going to the battery, which is going to the converter. So just jumping the charge line to any wire (brakes, LT, RT, reverse, running lights, but NOT GROUND) will just put 12V to that system and light them up.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to carmela
we have a 36 outback travel trailer 2004, we are staying at a campgroung and have been here for 2 months now. We bought our travel in May and we have had a problem with tank over flow,first the toilet ( thank goodness we were using the camp site to do our business. Tonight we had an over flow from the tub it kinda sneeked up on us,by the time we realized what was happing the bathroom floor had 2" for water,the tub was full and over flowing. The tanks had been drain just 2 days ago. We are baffled with thils problem. We were connected to city water and had an pressure adapter which I feel did not work.
carmela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmela View Post
we have a 36 outback travel trailer 2004, we are staying at a campgroung and have been here for 2 months now. We bought our travel in may and we have had a problem with tank over flow, from first the toilet ( thank goodness we were using the camp site to do our business. Tonight we had an over flow from the tub it kinda seeked up on us,by the time we realized what was happing the bathroom floor had 2" for water,the tub was full and over flowing. The tanks had been drain just 2 days ago. We are baffled with thils problem. We were connected to city water and had an pressure adapter which I feel did not work.
Might wanna start your own thread and get the right views for it.
But sounds like they just aren't getting drained or water is leaking into them.
Pressure regulator has nothing to do with your issue.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmela
we have a 36 outback travel trailer 2004, we are staying at a campgroung and have been here for 2 months now. We bought our travel in May and we have had a problem with tank over flow,first the toilet ( thank goodness we were using the camp site to do our business. Tonight we had an over flow from the tub it kinda sneeked up on us,by the time we realized what was happing the bathroom floor had 2" for water,the tub was full and over flowing. The tanks had been drain just 2 days ago. We are baffled with thils problem. We were connected to city water and had an pressure adapter which I feel did not work.
Need more details, but i'm guessing with a36' trailer, you may have multiple inhabitants? You can fill a 30gal grey tank in a day easy if your taking showers similar to home. I agree to start a new thread, with more camper and use details.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote