Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that we are fulltime I want to put our Sleep Number bed in our 5er. But I have a question or two for those who already have one.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Does your bed frame have storage underneath? You know that piece of plywood that lifts up under the mattress.<LI>If they do have underbed storage, only the bottom 2/3 of the mattress gets lifted. How does your Sleep number handle this?[/list]
Looking forward to feedback from those who actually have a Sleep Number mattress (or knows someone who does).

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now that we are fulltime I want to put our Sleep Number bed in our 5er. But I have a question or two for those who already have one.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Does your bed frame have storage underneath? You know that piece of plywood that lifts up under the mattress.<LI>If they do have underbed storage, only the bottom 2/3 of the mattress gets lifted. How does your Sleep number handle this?[/list]
Looking forward to feedback from those who actually have a Sleep Number mattress (or knows someone who does).

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
K-Star,
Have had one in two rigs now, no problem with the mattress and storage area. (Actually, a little easier to raise due to less weight to lift).

Based on the comments on this site, you will find two groups of thoughts----LOVE it, Hate it!

(We're in the LOVE it group). Good luck with yours.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There is no problem with lifting up the storage platform with the air bed on it...as Bob says, it's actually easier because there's less weight than with a "regular" mattress.

The one thing you have to watch out for with an air bed is altitude change. When you know you're going to be going up in altitude during your day's travel, be sure to let some air out of the mattress BEFORE leaving. When we had an air mattress in an earlier RV, we'd sometimes forget and arrive at our destination with the mattress hard as a rock. Fortunately, it never burst!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for your responses. DW loves the Sleep Number, I'm in the "It's OK" group.

last question.

Did your rig's come with the mattress or did either of you move from your home to the RV?

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
K-Star;

Our MH came with a sleep number bed. The beds lifts easily as others have said. Put us in the class of loving it. My DW would rather sleep in the MH than in our bed at home.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
K-Star,

1st rig, bought for

2nd rig, came with

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K-Star:
Thanks for your responses. DW loves the Sleep Number, I'm in the "It's OK" group.
last question.
Did your rig's come with the mattress or did either of you move from your home to the RV? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>K-Star..we are in the "hate it" group. Our coach came with it. We gave it a chance. I was actually all for it) until we tried it for an extended trip. We still hated it so we replaced it with one of the "Novaform mattresses" from Costco. Yes- it weighs more- but we get a great night's sleep!

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #9

Note that many RV's have a 'short' version of whatever sized mattress it has. So a 'home' sleep number may not fit in the RV. Sleep Number and similar manufacturers usually offer the 'short' version for RVs.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks again to all for your responses. the mattress in my coach is a full queen so i should be OK there.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 09-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #11

We had sleep # in the 03 Horizon and would not consider going to conventional mattress. We now have a 07 HR and put a 1.5" memory foam on top of the sleep # and it is even better.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K-Star:
Did your rig's come with the mattress or did either of you move from your home to the RV? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We had the Sleep Number bed in a previous fifth wheel (back then, it was simply called Select Comfort). That previous fifth wheel was a New Horizons...we ordered the Select Comfort air mattress and had it shipped to the NH factory for installation.

We were going to have one installed in our current fifth wheel, but decided to try a memory foam topper first. We bought a 3" memory foam topper and have found it to be very comfortable...and the less than $200 we spent on it saved us a lot of money over what we would have spent on a Sleep Number bed, particularly considering we would have had to purchase a king size Sleep Number bed!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:35 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I had a model 7000 top of the line queen sized sleep number bed - but I sold it. For one thing, with the added foam frame, it was too big for the platform and I could barely move around the bed in the bedroom. For another thing, being single, there was the foam divider and sleeping by myself, I don't stay on one side of the bed, so I woke up a lot with a sore back from the divider. I LOVED the comfort of it - especially that wonderful plush top - and I slept on it set at a 25 - so you can see how soft I like my bed. I had a hole drilled through the frame of the platform to run all the tubes through so the air compressor fit underneath the platform. I'm getting a full sized super plush pillow top from Serta - will have lots more moving around room in the bedroom and I don't need a queen. If you're going to be in humid areas, make sure you unzip it and clean the air bladders or it will get condensation and mold.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #14

We have the King version in our trailer and love it. No problem with it bending in the middle when storage platform is raised. Our trailer has a hinged portion at the head of the bed as well to access the pump and hoses for service.