Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Quick tire wear

I just finished a 1000 mile trip on my relatively new TT. I have probably put 3000 miles in total on it and bought it brand new (old stock, 2013 14 foot single axle).

The tires have already worn off the tread but only on one side. Both tires are worn heavily on the right side (ie: drivers wheel inside, passenger wheel outside). Feathered too. I know they're cheap Chinese crap tires, but they came free with the trailer. Still, 3000 miles and wear on just one side seems wrong even for those.

I'm taking it to a trailer repair place on Friday but I don't know what to expect. What is likely wrong and how much is it going to cost... Kind of worried about cost since I'm not rich and the trailer was only $6,000 brand new.

Obviously I will want new tires. Figured perhaps I somehow bent the axle?

Fwiw, based on the plate the able is 3500 lbs. it's also a leaf spring suspension with electric brakes.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
You would be surprised of how many trailers come right off the lot with poor alignment. I would take it to a shop that can do trailer alignments where they will align it to the king pin.

I know our shop runs around the $350-$375 range (depending on how far out it is.

Also remember, you get what you pay for when it comes to tires.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #3

When you jacked it up and checked for play in the spindles, what did you find?
Old 01-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #4

Quick tire wear

My new wheels were not balanced and I didn't notice it until it destroyed all of my tires.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #5

Just go to a reputable axle/spring shop and talk to them about it. They should be able to fix anything for $250-$350/axle. You might consider pricing new axle, but that will still require alignment if something is wrong with shackle mounts.
Please take it to an axle/spring shop, not just an RV repair shop.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:50 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If the trailer components are under warranty, doesn't he have to start with an authorized dealer, or get prior authorization from the warranty provider or manufacturer to go someplace not already authorized?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #7

That's a good thought--missed the newness of the trailer. Give them a chance, but bet that it ends up quicker/cleaner repair to just have it done right by pros.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #8

I took mine to an axle/trailer alignment shop recommended by camping world. The guy eyeballed it and said axle was bent and recommended a new axle.

I Bought new tires (maxxis) and had them balanced. Been fine ever since. Several years and thousands of miles ago.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Alpine Owners Club
Just to clarify, all trailer axles are manufactured with a "bow" in them, so they look "bent". They are also mass produced and do not seem to be checked in any way after being made or installed. An "old school" alignment shop with the correct equipment can correct (bend) the axle to achieve the correct toe-in and camber if the axle isn't bent or manufactured too far out of spec.The kit to "align" the axles using cam bolts at the spring hangers can only equalize the toe, it doesn't adjust total toe or camber.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #10

Thanks! I was thinking alignment too. It is a relatively new trailer but it's just out of warranty now so it's going to be out of pocket. Under $500 isn't so bad, we'll see what they say tomorrow when they work on it.

I'm taking it t to a place that builds and repairs gooseneck trailers, and builds/repairs regular trailers as well, mostly for hauling stuff, not RVs. Figured they would be best at fixing something like this. Probably not cheap, but cheap manufacturing is what got me to this point in the first place.

Going to get the best tires I can for my money, don't want blowouts!
Old 01-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
When you jacked it up and checked for play in the spindles, what did you find?
I haven't done that. Don't have the right tools for it with me. I will make sure the shop takes a good look and I plan to carry a jack with me next trip!

No this trailer has no built in stabilizers to abuse. I do have a set of screw jacks but I don't trust them to hold the weight of the trailer and they would probably tweak the frame even if I did.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #12

Figured I should post the results. The shop found the axle tube bent and replaced it. They also replaced both tires. Total cost, labour + parts was $820. A bit more than I wanted to pay but at least it's done. The replacement seems significantly larger and heavier duty, so I imagine that's a benefit. Even if it weighs more, that should not be an issue. The trailer well under the maximum weight limit.

I have now driven back home and put over 1600 miles on the trailer. It drove better than before, with a bit less sway (Though still not none, I expect that the sway that's left is because they installed radials instead of the bias tires on there originally. I'm happy with their decision as I don't plan to offroad the trailer much.). The tire wear looks perfect, no unusual wear patterns and it looks like the same fresh tread as it was before I left. In fact, it drove so well I did 65 mph all the way back (wish they made tires that were good to 70) instead of the 50 mph I had become accustomed to with the bad axle and cheap tires.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #13

Your axel has lost it's bend. The axel is not rated to carry the weight. We have a 6500 lbs camper. The axels were rated at 3000 each. Causes tires to wear . Warranty replaced with 3500 lbs axels. Most campers come with under rated axels.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #14

My bad---axle( typo)