Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Quiet portable generators?

Hi, we're looking at downsizing from a motorhome to a 22-25' TT. In doing so, we'll need a generator - I'm guessing a 4000 watt would be big enough? Anyway, my question is who makes quiet ones? Besides Honda - not interested in paying that kind of money. Generacs get good reviews, but I haven't heard one run. Dewalt? Powermate? My dad has one of those big yellow Champion generators that he got at Costco, but it's a little obnoxious in the noise department at a campground.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The different manufacturers have different ways of coming up with their "noise ratings". Some measure the noise at full load (Honda does this), some at a partial load, and others at idle (IIRC Champion does this). Someone will come along eventually to help clear this info up.

Don't forget that Yamaha makes good inverter gennies that seem to be very reliable.

You've already discovered what I tell others, that the first person that will be bothered with a loud gennie is the gennie owner if their hearing is any good. Now let me tell you a few reasons why I picked Honda despite the price:
  • Service. There are Honda Power Equipment dealers all over North America, but especially where I like to go.
  • Record. I have very rarely heard of anyone being unhappy with the Honda once they got over the price they paid for it.
  • Noise. Possibly the quietest gennies (EU2000i and the Companion model) for a total of 3600 watts continuous while still being able to lift the gennies in and out of the back of my pickup. What good is a big heavy gennie if you can't lift it by yourself?
  • Hondas have a fuel pump. A no brainer for an external extended run fuel tank. I can fill the external tank without shutting down the gennie(s) for safety, and they can run all night and part of the next day easily depending on power demands.
  • Efficiency. If my power demands aren't greater than the microwave, I can run just one and save some fuel over running one 4K watt unit.
  • Emergency preparedness. If one goes down, I have the other. (true with any dual gennie setup that can be tied together for double the power, really)

So make sure you want to write the Hondas off immediately. There are what I consider to be some very good benefits to them (the EU2000 units). I also believe in buy once, cry once. Well, I cried over the bundle of money I handed over for them, but I haven't regretted it a single time since, not even when I change the oil.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Quiet portable generators?

My Yamaha 2400 inverter/generator is super quiet, but not cheap. I've been reading and watching some You Tube videos with good things to say about Champions and Briggs and Stratton has a fairly new line out that get some good reviews. You might consider two 2000 watt units running in parallel. Unless you want to run a lot of things at the same time you can probably get by nicely with something in the 3000 watt class.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We bought a Champion Enclosed type 3100w invertor generator and use it all the time at campsites with no complaints. I either leave it in the truck bed, or set it out 20 feet with a extension cord. Best part is that it has the 30amp plug for the trailer.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
We bought a Champion Enclosed type 3100w invertor generator and use it all the time at campsites with no complaints. I either leave it in the truck bed, or set it out 20 feet with a extension cord. Best part is that it has the 30amp plug for the trailer.
Champion 3100 here as well. Powers one air conditioner ok. Good quality and works well. Their are also dual fuel and electric start models. I bought from Costco online for $599 on sale a couple years ago.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #6

2 honda eu2000i with a companion set up . You get what you pay for.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the Honda 3KW with electric start. Bought it back in 03 and have had not one issue with it. The thing is a little heavy and it did cost. But it's quiet and reliable. I see that Champion Has a a 3100 dual fuel for about a grand that would fit in the storage of the TT and only weighs a little over 100. I have had my Honda for 13 years and it will go another 13 or more. I paid about 1900 back in 03 and they are still about the same so they are a deal now.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #8

I have had a Yamaha 2000 for three years now, quite, reliable and great on fuel. I have been considering getting a companion so I can run the AC. However, it does just fine on all the other electricity demands my rig has.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:47 PM   #9

This quiet generator chat got me thinking.

We winter in Boot Key FL., with over 250 other boats on moorings or anchors.

The most popular generators I see, while going to shore, are red ( Honda ) and blue, ( Yamaha ).

I hear the rest of them.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #10

We have a 4000 wt champion with a camper plug on it. When run the 15000 btu ac for 12 hrs on 4 gallons of gas.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a pair of the Honda Eu2000i generators and no issues. Quiet, easy to carry. That is why I went with two at a bit over 50# each. I can handle them one at a time. The 3000 and 4000 Watt units are heavier and I cannot handle that much weight.

With the Honda, I can get service pretty much anywhere and parts are available. The Chinese knock-offs are a big question mark when it comes to service and parts.

The equivalent Yamahas are good machines as well.

Boyli seems to do OK, but the question is repairs and parts.

But in a Honda, repairs are not a question.

Ken
Old 08-05-2016, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Champion 3100 here as well. Powers one air conditioner ok. Good quality and works well. Their are also dual fuel and electric start models. I bought from Costco online for $599 on sale a couple years ago.
I recently purchased a remote start Champion 3100 watt generator. It powers my AC and will be nice to use when elk hunting this fall. Last year I had a tough time keeping the snow off of th solar panels and the generator is my backup.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
This is the best all around quality, price, noise level

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IW...WPL&ref=plSrch
Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnmarine View Post
I recently purchased a remote start Champion 3100 watt generator. It powers my AC and will be nice to use when elk hunting this fall. Last year I had a tough time keeping the snow off of th solar panels and the generator is my backup.
If I were buying today I would go with the remote start model. Nice to be able to shut it down without going outside after dark, bad weather, cold, etc.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator