Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #1

QWEST TSL- Where is my switch?

My buddy has a 2003 Jayco Qwest TSL with electric and gas hot water.
We have located the electric water heater switch but cannot find the Propane gas toggle for hot water.
The manual says it is “located on inside sidewall”.
We have looked everywhere for this switch and cannot find it.
It says Atwood in it and has both a light and toggle switch.
Does anyone know where to find the switch to turn off the Propane option on the water heater?
It is winter now and he needs the furnace but does not want to use all the propane on water since he has the electric option.
Anyone?
Kg4izw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I always thought the water heaters were LP and electric was an option. Maybe older ones had both. It could be the water heater was replaced at some point and does not have that switch.
NRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #3

I do not think the water heater uses a lot of propane. The furnace does but the water heater I think uses about 1/10 that the furnace uses.

Tractor Supply is the best place I know of that sells propane.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:07 AM   #4

The manual shows a picture of the switch, and the water heater is original equipment. I just need to find the on off switch.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #5

I don't have experience with your make and model TT. However, even the same make and models can vary since factory installers are free to modify when build circumstances interfere. Here are some suggestions you may have already tried:

Inside the water heater outside door.
Inside and adjacent outside access storage space. My Kodiak Cub heater is next to the front pass through and affords access to the back of heater through a screw on panel.
Inside a cabinet or utility space inside the TT.
Behind a drawer. In a closet.
Inside a screw on panel.
Under a seat.
Etc.

Please don't take offense. I am not trying to insult you. I am sharing my own now humbled experience.

I found out my TT had pass-through lights and stabilizer jack lights when some one suggested to another owner, something simple. Look on the inside of the pass-through just inside the door behind the door frame.

Yes, the salesmen pointed them out to me. Yes I was overwhelmed and forgot. No, the user manual for the TT was not helpful even though I read it end to end.

I wish happy trails too you.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #6

Are you sure the gas switch is turned on? If it is you should hear a whoosh when the heater lights off. I will assume that it is on since you are asking. It may not look like the picture you have. It will be a small switch that just looks like a 12 volt rocker switch. My switch is red and it is in the coat closet beside the entry door. It will be inside the rig. I can't imagine having to go outside to turn it on. Sorry I'm not any help but it has to be there if it is running on gas. Good luck.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

The water heater switch you are looking for should be very obvious. It will have a red light Incorporated with it or next to it. When your turn it on the red light will light up. when the heater does light the red light will go out. If the red light stays lit, the heater does not light. Usually located near the pump switch.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:31 AM   #8

The gas is definitely on. I guess it has been in the on position since he bought the rig.
I will pass these suggestions on to him.
It is an Atwood water heater with electronic ignition.
The winterizing instructions say turn off switch and then disconnect red wire inside water heater. So...
Can he just disconnect the red wire at the water heater or pull the 2 amp fuse to turn this thing off?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kg4izw View Post
The gas is definitely on. I guess it has been in the on position since he bought the rig.
I will pass these suggestions on to him.
It is an Atwood water heater with electronic ignition.
The winterizing instructions say turn off switch and then disconnect red wire inside water heater. So...
Can he just disconnect the red wire at the water heater or pull the 2 amp fuse to turn this thing off?

I would think you could just disconnect the battery and turn off the gas and be done with it.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:23 AM   #10

Winterizing water heater

Switch of AC power to water heater electric heating element. I switch off the circuit breaker on the main AC power panel. This prevents accidentally turning AC to heat element on and burning out the element when empty. Possibly removing's the "red wire" does that as well.

Drain water heater tank.

By pass valve (1, 2 or 3) on the back of the water heater if using RV anti-freeze.

The water heater control board continues to use a little 12 volt power. I disconnect the battery bank to eliminate all small parasitic loads. Possibly the "red wire" does that for the water heater.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch