Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2013, 07:49 PM   #1

Re-enforcing Bumper for Bike Rack

Am looking for information on re-enforcing bumper for bike rack or cargo tray. How was it done? If out sourced, what was the cost? Can you pot pictures?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Assuming you have a square tube bumper?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is a square tube bumper, you can pretty much forget using it. Another issue is so many of the trailers now do not have a full frame extending to the rear of the trailer. If you can get to the frame at the rear of the trailer, you can have a welder build a trailer hitch to use with a bike carrier.

But you will need to depend on a good welder to check and see if the frame is suitable. Also, some manufactures wil lvoid a frame warranty if you add a rear hitch.

Ken
Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

I thought of this as well but ended up putting a truck topper on my truck and now I stand my bikes up in the back of the truck.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If it is a square tube bumper, you can pretty much forget using it. Another issue is so many of the trailers now do not have a full frame extending to the rear of the trailer. If you can get to the frame at the rear of the trailer, you can have a welder build a trailer hitch to use with a bike carrier.

But you will need to depend on a good welder to check and see if the frame is suitable. Also, some manufactures wil lvoid a frame warranty if you add a rear hitch.

Ken
A 2' hitch tube attached to the bumper at on end and extended about 4 feet under attached to a cross member attached to the trailer frame will be very strong. The bumper will only be exposed to downward forces compared to twisting moment.
I do it all the time and use bolt on method with no weld and able to remove it.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:22 AM   #6

Sorry my questions were so vega. The camper is a 2011 Veiwfinder by Cruiser RV. The I-beam frame extend all the way to the rear of the camper. The 4" square bumper is welded to Ibeam all 4" inches of the bumper, from the top of the Ibeam to the bottom of the bumper. On both sides of the Ibeam.

Does this help in answering my question.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

You still can't use only the bumper. It's very thin. You need to have thick cross members to the frame, and only bolt/weld to the bumper as extra support, not the only support.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

I would not do it. I've read about too many horror stories from this. Bumpers have been torn right off the frame due to separated welds. Because of the effect of leverage, the additional continual added up and down force from towing can in some cases cause cracks in the frame. Cracks can and do occur in frames sometimes and adding a carrier hanging out past the bumper will only increase the risk of frame cracks and other problems.

You could install a mount that is independently fastened to the I-beams and extends out to the rear. This would add more weight and you'll still be risking frame problems.

If you go to the Forest River forum, do some searches there and you will find out what others have had happen.

I think you'd be better off just putting bikes in the back of the truck. If you have a canopy, they'll be more secure too.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

i made a carrier to mount for myself and my brother-in-law that looks like the pic im posting below. its 36"wX24"deep. these bumpers will hold a lot more than what most people here are saying. with mine i keep a box with the equalizer hitch and goodies, stabilizers, jacks, tools other odds and ends. I have also removed the box and loaded up my grandkids 4 wheeler. if you want to post or pm me with some pics underneath the camper of the frame,bumber,bumper mounts and thickness of the bumper walls i could figure out what you will need to do, can do, or what you will need to have done. Not sure of your mechanical ability or if you have to buy ready made and have it installed. i like to do it all myself. On these campers i have found its best if you can do the work yourself. the way you mount this also makes it like a weight distribution mount and doesnt concentrate the full load to one small area, it spreads out the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	77
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	48973  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
my last trailer was a wilderness 26H. I have 6 daughters and wanted to bring bikes. I found a rack for 4, and the dealer told me, "you should be ok". after looking at the bumper, I called a welder, and had the rack welded to the frame. no way the bumpers can handle anything beyond the spare tire. the bike rack still exists on the unit I just traded in, but the bumper is completely rusted out, held in place by the bike rack. lol.

if you want to add it, weld it. that's my $0.02

Ricky T's