Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Rear Axle Brakes are Catching

My brakes started catching real bad, to the point it seemed the trailer was bouncing up and down violently when brakes were applied. Took it to the dealer to have the bearing re-packed and they found the rear passenger brake needed replacing. Those were replaced with new backing plates. Just found the same thing happening again. Any insight why?

Thanks.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #2

Possible brake controller problem. Tell us if you have a factory controller or an after-market unit.

What failed on the first brake problem?
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #3

Factory brake controller. Dealer said the trailing axle, passenger side, had a bad brake shoe. Sounds suspicious too me.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #4

I see you have a Ford truck. I have a new 2017 Super Duty and one change Ford made was to eliminate the brake control having any affect at slow speeds. They use the Prodigy brand. My older Ford van was not like the new one and at low speeds the trailer brakes would activate and it was almost like chucking with a 5th wheel. The new truck is perfect and not having this issue is great.
You may want to turn down the gain to cause less initial brake effort. You may need to change your controller and I would recommend the Prodigy.
You make also want to test the new model trucks.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I see you have a Ford truck. I have a new 2017 Super Duty and one change Ford made was to eliminate the brake control having any affect at slow speeds. They use the Prodigy brand. My older Ford van was not like the new one and at low speeds the trailer brakes would activate and it was almost like chucking with a 5th wheel. The new truck is perfect and not having this issue is great.
You may want to turn down the gain to cause less initial brake effort. You may need to change your controller and I would recommend the Prodigy.
I will turn it down this week. Maybe I'll hook it to my Expedition, which has a Prodigy.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #6
RPr

My drums were badly scored by the magnets, some of the magnets were so worn they had and open circuit. I replaced them but they were always a bit grabby at slow speed.

After a nasty road hazard resulted in a new undercarriage with new drums, the TT brakes like new.

It is messy but not particularly hard to pull the drums and look for yourself. Lot of TT brake info on You Tube if you want to try it.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #7

The dealer pulled all the drums a couple of weeks ago to do a wheel pack. Also replaced brakes and turned the rear most axle

Thanks

Old 05-30-2017, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Where did you get information that Ford uses Prodigy? If they do have a Tekonsha make the unit, it is vastly different than the after-market unit and works much better.

If the OP has just one of two axles causing problems, he needs a different mechanic.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #9

>"... and turned the rear most axle"

Eh? Rotated it 90 degrees... or turned it around and re mounted or ???
What did he do that for?
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

I think you should look at the way the brakes were installed. It sounds like whoever put the brakes on, may have put them on incorrectly. Each brake assembly, (wheel position) has a primary and secondary shoe, (or leading & trailing shoe....1 larger than the other). If the shoes are installed incorrectly, it can cause that brake assembly to lock up when brakes are applied.
If the mechanic put on complete brake assemblies, (a common option anymore) I think you should check - it sounds like he may have put the right assembly on the left side and left assembly on the right. (Brake assemblies include: backing plate, wheel magnet, springs, retainers, adjuster and shoes.)
A controller sends signal, (electrical current) to all wheel positions.....it can't single out a wheel position or axle. Therefore, I don't think a brake controller will cause your condition.
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilightzone View Post
>"... and turned the rear most axle"

Eh? Rotated it 90 degrees... or turned it around and re mounted or ???
What did he do that for?
Turned the drums.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #12

The problem was the result of a loose wire connection on one of the new brake assemblies.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
The problem was the result of a loose wire connection on one of the new brake assemblies.
Loose wire connection on brake = no brake function to that/those wheel position(s).
Glad you got it fixed.
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Where did you get information that Ford uses Prodigy? If they do have a Tekonsha make the unit, it is vastly different than the after-market unit and works much better.

If the OP has just one of two axles causing problems, he needs a different mechanic.
Various reviews I have read stated that Ford uses Tekonsha. It makes sense that they would use the leader and then ask for changes to make it better. The description of how the controller works is on page 287 of the 633 page Super Duty owners manual. There are several paragraphs under " points to remember". Read all of them, pretty interesting.
No wonder Ford sells so many more trucks than anyone else.
They listen to suggestions from owners and this is apparently where this modification came from.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, cat