Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Rear kitchen concerns?

I'm picking up a rear kitchen model in a couple of days, and I'm wondering if there is anything I should particularly be aware of. A friend who is a long-time RV'er said that all the rear kitchen models he is familiar with have problems with vibration. I am not changing my selection since there are many reasons this is a good trailer for us, but if I need to be aware of some issues I would rather know now than when all my dishes break I know Outdoors RV advertises shock absorbers, and the Anderson weight distribution system also advertises less bounce, but ...

Will I need to plan on putting the little shelf bars on all the kitchen cabinets? Can I safely use my Corelle dishes without having them break? Will the refrigerator bounce itself to death? Real world advice is greatly appreciated!

UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The distance from the axles is a contributing factor in shock and bounce at the very rear of the trailer. Even if cabinets remain closed, bouncing can break dishes if not padded. We use foam sheets meant for packing to reduce clatter.

Also, if you have an iPad or iPhone you can download ($1.99) an App called, "Coaster Physics" that utilizes the built in motion sensor to graph G-forces. Take the phone for a ride in a cabinet and see the results. Very eye opening and will help you decide on packing strategies. In an ideal world, the designers of rear kitchen RVs should have to ride in one sitting on the counter. Then maybe they'd put the kitchen at the center of effort over the axles where ride is best.

The Coaster Physics App is one I used with students on school buses to see how much more 'violent' the ride was in the back seat!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:06 AM   #3

It's just simple physics, the rear will have more bounce. Keep heavy items out of cabinets and fridge. The "I never had problems" crowd didn't repeal the laws of physics.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Are you refering to the ORV Timber Ridge line?

In reference to your friend saying there are vibrations in rear kitchen models, I would have to call that shaken not stirred.

I have noticed that after traveling the microwave plate is dislodged but have not noticed things in the cabinets or refer being out of place. We went from a front kitchen to a rear kitchen and again have not noticed anything out of the ordinary.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
My TT is a rear-kitchen. We have had a problem or two related to this. I left a bottle of Dawn in the sink and we hit some really rough roads in Oklahoma. The sink cracked. I replaced the plastic sink myself with a stainless steel sink, and it cost me about $100- less than FR wanted for the replacement junky plastic sink... and the TT gained about 3 pounds...

Bubble wrap is your friend. Thin foam packing between plates is good. We usually use paper plates on short trips but for a week or longer, we'll take permanent stuff and not make so much trash. Sauce pans and boilers that stack like the thin foam stuff, too. I have yet to have cabinets or drawers open.

I will say that when we buy another TT in a couple of years, it will not be a Rear Kitchen. I want a bunk model for our growing group of grand kids, with opposing slides in the living area to open it up some. And, there's that outdoor kitchen thing I want...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #6

We have a rear kitchen Komfort. My wife has packed everything carefully from the start, but no big problems at all from us. She particularly likes this floor plan, and wouldn't really have liked anything else. One thing I've noticed is that the water and 'lectricity comes in the back on ours, not on the side like most, so you have to pay attention to where the utilities are located to make sure you have enough cable and hose. Not usually a big problem.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. I think I will put the coaster physics app on my iPad and see how it is on the way home from the dealer. The TT is the Trail Ridge, so it is good to know the Creekside of the same floor plan isn't much of a problem. Of course, it depends on your load and roads ...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was unaware that ORV is making a trailer called Trail Ridge. It must be a new line for them and its not even on their web site yet. Now the Timber Ridge is a similar floor plan, however a bit longer and heavier.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Good catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
I was unaware that ORV is making a trailer called Trail Ridge. It must be a new line for them and its not even on their web site yet. Now the Timber Ridge is a similar floor plan, however a bit longer and heavier.
LOL! Thanks Lbzya! That's what happens when I try to post from a phone with an itty bitty screen. Yes, it is a Timber Ridge.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When looking at the different models the axle location is what really pop out at me. It seems the rear kitchen models have the axles positioned to the rear a bit more vs say a trailer with the kitchen in the middle. I would have to say that would help with the bouncing in the rear of the trailer.

By the way what dealer are you going through? When you get it in the driveway you will have to sign in under our ORV roll call thread and try to make the gathering this next year.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We stack our cups and they fall over driving from point A to point B, but that's about all that moves. I have a Timber Ridge 260RLS with the Andersen Hitch and you have a great combo there.