Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

Rear Rack Kits?

Does anyone make a rear rack in kit form like the one in this link? Forest River has them on some of their TT's but I've not found anything in a kit aside from the receiver style trays. I wanted to permanently mount this and reinforce the frame as needed. Just don't have much time for fabrication. Thanks.

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try this it's a start I like the 2nd listing on that page, make sure your roof can take the weight on that end area

RV Accessory Store - RV TOY STORE - 1-800-334-5533
Old 10-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #3

Thanks, but those racks might only be good for light items as I'd have to be able to left then up there. Thinking we would put bikes, portable black, fire pit, generators, gas cans etc. back there. Not at the same time though.

I believe i can fabricate this but not sure what thickness of metal to use or how far under the trailer to run the supports? I want to avoid adding 500lbs to the trailer just in the tray assembly before any cargo.

Joe
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

I was thinking VERY much along that way too. I think, bet you have to fab it. Not too bad to do if you can weld. I talked with some people and we came up with if your going to have any real load on it you should do at least 2/3 1/2 meaning 2/3 of structure sistered on the chassis supports and 1/3 over over/have rack as my thought is do it as a bumper replacement. I was looking for a way to take my 400lb m/c with me and I was / may go 3/4 - 1/4 with that much weight. maybe over kill but better than UNDER kill...
Tractorboy924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Approach a local high school shop program. Often they are looking for projects and many will charge cost plus 10% or so. I've done it for many projects and had great luck. Most shop teachers will work with you and you'll get what you want and you'll be helping young people learn.
CoachDJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

That is a great idea on the ratio for how far under I should extend the mounts. I was also thinking of bolting to the trailer frame rather than welding. Less risk of a weld ripping loose after years of bouncing. Do you think a few reinforcements of the factory bumper will suffice to carry the partial load when the rack is down? Or were you planning on replacing that with heavier gauge steel tubing? Sorry but what is a m/w?

I will look for a high school shop in my area and see if they have a program that could help, good idea.

Joe
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can do both weld and bolt to the frame then make your platform and put tie down hooks or eye hooks for straps - but make it strong!!!!

Show us what you came up with we all like new ideas
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #8

Yes I was going to weld and BOLT.........I was going to use for a motorcycle but I dont think I want my baby out of sight back there after all. But for coolers and other gear. I was going to use rectangular tubing as its stronger and lighter than ship channell/I beams.

You will basically be rebuilding the bumper along with it was my presumption. With mine I would have to cut the bumper off as its welded and part of the frame.
Tractorboy924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your going in the right direction I would cut the bumper off too then you will have good access to the frame then attach bumper back to platform cool !!! Let's see it after you build it
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Considered just getting a hitch installed and buying a pre made hitch-a-haul ?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=hitch+a+haul

not sure how much weight you want to put back there, but anything will have a fairly large moment of inertia way out there behind the axles.....

the open range we had for a bit had one of those and I always wondered...
1) how would I know when I lost something back there
2) what kind of stress is it putting on the frame
3) will my tongue weight bee too light now ?

yes, worry wart
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #11

Again, not sure just how much weight you want to add to the tail of your TT, but you might also look into a hitch receiver for the front of your tow
vehicle. I have a 2004 Ford F350 4X4 and priced out adding the hitch
reciever at a cost of about $300 parts and labor.

I already have a storage tray that goes into a hitch receiver with a total
weight capacity of 500 lbs. I even added a hitch receiver to the other end of the storage tray and the bike rack slides into that, so you can carry
the generators, fire wood and two bikes on the front of the vehicle.
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #12

JohnBoy,

I'm concerned about the moment as well but I think if we design it right from the start it should be ok. I was planning to run an H or X brace between the rails of the trailer in the back as well as bolt and weld the framing to the existing trailer frame. I also planned to inspect the welds from the factory and add more if it wasn't continuous. I have a friend that builds Roll cages that will help me with the design. Once I'm done, I will publish for you guys to see. It might take awhile though. I also planned to cut off the bumper and reattach when I'm done, I might go with a thicker gauge bumper if the design needs it. I'm going to go get pictures of the back and underside of my TT this weekend. It has a sealed belly so I might have to dig in there a little.

I thought about just adding a class 3 to the front of my truck and putting the cargo tray there. Much easier, quicker and puts weight where I can use it. My issue was that if I place a large cooler there, I'd be blocking a significant amount of air going to my engine. I will be towing in the summer and live in Florida. Don't you think this could be an issue? I'm a worry wart about my truck as it has many "issues" care of the factory/design. I've fixed several but don't want to risk anything if I don't have too. Also, I'm towing pretty close to my limit with my set up.

Joe
Old 10-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Joe,
looks like you're doing your homework & that's is a good thing! good luck with it!

be sure and consider that you might want to allow it to fold up like the pictured one...

fyi, I had 3 Ex's - 02, 03, & 05) and thought I'd never get out of them I liked the versatile beasts so well ! also had the RAS on the Ex that worked WELL !!!
but didn't help the 250 so I pulled it off and put bags on it...

I traded my last 05 Ex in on the current f250 in March and stunned to find I like it even better than the Ex's !!!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #14

John, with a growing family the EX is perfect, just wish they made new ones. We'll have this one till my girls are in there teens, then it's time for a pickup. Love the RAS and my new Bilsteins.

I plan to make my design a folding one just like the pictures. My friend at work looked over the design and recommended adding a large plate to the first attachment point (most rearward) as that will take the majority of the punishment when bouncing down the road. Also said to weld and bolt.

Now to find the time to build it....

Joe