RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #1

Receiver Bike Rack

I'm looking for recommendations on a good hitch mount bike rack for the back of my travel trailer. I know that I need a solid frame mounted hitch and I intend to install a camera as well so I can keep an eye on them. I need to haul 4 bikes and I'm willing to buy a good rack as some of our bikes are quite expensive. I'm finding that most rack manufacturers discourage using them on campers and some void their warranty for doing so. Any personal experience and recommendations would be awesome.

Rodbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 05:43 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We use a Thule XT Pro with the 2 bike extension*, and, frankly, I've been a bit disappointed in it. It's advertised as being no-frame contact, but the clamp arms always end up in contact with the brakes. If I had it to do over, I'd be seriously considering the 1UP racks. They're only RV rated for two bikes, but given my wife and I have full carbon road bikes, the total weight will be about the same as two down hill bikes.

*Yes, I know, it's not trailer rated, but, I'm betting my trailer's suspension is far enough above average that it's good enough.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
We use a Thule XT Pro with the 2 bike extension*, and, frankly, I've been a bit disappointed in it. It's advertised as being no-frame contact, but the clamp arms always end up in contact with the brakes. If I had it to do over, I'd be seriously considering the 1UP racks. They're only RV rated for two bikes, but given my wife and I have full carbon road bikes, the total weight will be about the same as two down hill bikes.

*Yes, I know, it's not trailer rated, but, I'm betting my trailer's suspension is far enough above average that it's good enough.

I love the looks of the 1Up but was reluctant due to the 2 bike rating. At the same time none of the racks are really rated for camper use. We are hauling 3 mountain bikes and 1 cruiser, so a bit heavier than what you have. Besides rubbing brakes did the Thule rack seem to holb up to the abuse of riding on a travel trailer?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodbolt View Post
Besides rubbing brakes did the Thule rack seem to holb up to the abuse of riding on a travel trailer?

Thanks!
Off the top of my head, we've about 7000 miles on it. It seems to be holding up well, except that the brake contact is causing wear on the soft rubber of the clamps. But I'd much prefer that over the clamps wearing away my brakes. That said. given the wear, I'm not sure I'm going to get more than a few years out of it. Which is a bit unfortunate, given the price.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I've had the Wageman (sp?) two bike holder for a few years and it work well. I tie it back to the also with a ratchet strap to the bumper to stop movement as I read that the movement could affect the TT bumper to the point of failure.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #6

I've had the kids' 3 bikes on the 1Up for thousands of miles behind the trailer with zero issues...and they don't have carbon bikes.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #7

I have been using a ladder mtd. rack but it has been a pain. am considering the swagman xc2 but not sure of the bumper capacity of my freedom express 246 rks. anyone know how I could find that out. it seems more solid than others I have looked at but I cant find anything in the literature about it.
thanx
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:13 AM   #8

As you explore the many different possible bike rack options, be sure that you get one that is rated for the back of a trailer. There is added stress on the bikes because of their position on the end of a bouncing trailer rear end. I know this because our bike rack failed and that is how I found out about the different bike rack strengths.
Keep us posted on which one you decide to go with and why.
Good luck.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have a Kuat rack with the extension. It easily hauls 4 bikes but it is very heavy ( 75lbs). You want to stay away from the hanging racks as they tend to beat the bikes together. I have hauled my bikes many miles with no issues on a TT and on a 5er. As heavily built as it is I believe if you ran into it you would total your car before damaging the rack. I do not know of the official position on using behind an RV.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
As you explore the many different possible bike rack options, be sure that you get one that is rated for the back of a trailer. There is added stress on the bikes because of their position on the end of a bouncing trailer rear end. I know this because our bike rack failed and that is how I found out about the different bike rack strengths.
Keep us posted on which one you decide to go with and why.
Good luck.

What brand/style of rack did you have that failed?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just discovered Recon Racks which are RV rated with the caveat of no road bikes...
Old 09-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I bought the 1up-usa.com system and installed it a couple weeks ago. Have a Rad Rover ebike that weighs about 70#'s so I knew I'd need a heavy duty rack on my Jeep. Haven't taken a trip yet so no advice yet. I also have a Thule hanging rack I tried but I wasn't comfortable with the bike hanging from it's frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_190648.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	260093   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_190702.jpg
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	260094  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_190615.jpg
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	260095  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #13

I'm considering this one. I talked to them on the phone and they are ok with camper use if it's tied back to the bumper with ratchet straps from the top part of the rack to take the bounce out of it.

https://www.altaracks.com

Tags
bike rack