Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
Receiver bracket for back bumper

I have a 2011 Jayco 256RKS and would like to install a bumper bracket with a 2 inch reciveiver on the rear bumper. If anyone has done the same or has some advice to offer, all would be appreciated. I want to use it to attach a (2) bike carrier.

NVhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Best advice is don't do it. Get a frame mounted receiver hitch. That bumper is not very strong, many people do it but several have had failures of the bumper. Fulton makes a very good http://i25.tinypic.com/35bgio0.jpg
that bolts to the frame or you can get a good welder to make one for you. Either will be far superior to the bumper receiver hitch adapter.

tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Thanks for the information. I guess it is not as sturdy as it looks.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Some bumpers may be stroung enough, others are not but you don't want to find out that your's was one that wasn't.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does the bumper even have a rating, probably not. This would a sticker on the bumper or in the trailer documentation. The trailers I have seen, the bumpers are study enough for storing the sewer pipe and the spare tire, but not much more.

The problem with a bumper mounted bike rack is that the mount is at the bottom and there is a tube that rises to the arms that hold the bikes. In effect this is a lever and two bikes at 30 lbs each (estimate) bouncing on the middle of the bumper is quite a bit of torque.

You would be better off mounting a hitch to the frame.

As a reference look at: The Hitch Corner sells trailer hitches for motor homes and trailers
2002 35R Southwind, W22 8.1L Vortec UltraPower, 19.5' wheels
Toad: Wrangler, lifted and on 35" tires
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
We used one of these bumper mounted kits on our 1999 Jayco Eagle 294R for about two years. We carried two or occasionally three bikes and the only problem we had was that our particular bike rack rode so close to the trailer that we had to remove the spare tire and carrier. No problem; I just kept them in the bed of our Silverado.
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the RVs now do not have enough metal in the bumper to support a hitch. If you have enough frame you can get a frame mounted hitch installed.

Be creful putting much weight back there, it takes weight away from the tongue weight.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Thank you all for your insight... Sounds like a frame hitch is the way to go.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
I once towed a 16 foot prowler with a plate mounted to a steel step bumper. It was on a 1977 Ford F-150. The bumper was made or serious steel. I would say, that it worked, but it wasn't safe. I wouldn't do it again. I was young and stupid in those days. If there is a weight rating on a bumper it wont be much. You need a frame mounted class three hitch receiver. You can get one at some place like U-haul and mount it yourself. It's not a difficult job.

Usually the safe tongue weight limit on a class three is 500 pounds. If you need more than that you can get it.
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
Thanks a lot for your reply. From all of the information I have received, it sounds like I will be searching for a hitch.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
Forest River Owners Club
Smile REF: Trailer Hitch Mounting

For whatever it's worth, I took my 30' Terry TT to a local welding shop that specializes in trailer work and are people I trust. They told me of several horror stories about people putting bike racks on TT and losing them with their expensive bikes on the interstates because the rear bumpers are not strong enough. They were able to reinforce my rear bumper by adding steel plates to the bottom and tying it in with the frame. They added a 2" receiver hitch under the bumper tied into the reinforced steel plating. Since then, I have been able to add my bike rack and carry (2) mountain bikes without any problems. My advice would be to take a close look at your bumper - most of these are very light material and are not capable of holding anything without reinforcement.
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Coyote Physics

On the inaugural trip in our new/used 1989 15' Play-Mor TT, I went into a CO County Park with a right turn from one end of Town. I came straight out to catch the County Road that 'teed' at this Park. The very slight grade up on the Parking Lot, combined with a lil dip in the Highway, made me look back RIGHT mid-move and get that look Wile E. Coyote had JUST before going off the Cliff in a Roadrunner Cartoon. The low-hanging Black Water Valve on the rear-Plumbing config TT bottomed-out with a sickening crunch. It 'all' snapped very cleanly off the Tank [Grey and Black Water Plumbing]. Ironically, I had been very aware of this possibility the entire trip, and carefully scouted where I made U Turns for Gas in Town, etc.. The good news: a local Shop in Grand Junction CO can 'weld' ABS back together via hot Gas and a spool feed of new Material. Good as new Tank for ~$30- or so; done all the time, they tell me. So, that repair is pending. Boy, am I ever glad I had JUST dumped the Tanks. Good thing my 'residue' doesn't smell!

Ironically, I had JUST repaired a slow drip at the same Valve. A telltale flat spot told me the prior Owner had bottomed out, too. No wonder, given how low-slung the TT is from the Factory.

Had I gone ahead and mounted a Bike-holding Receiver on the Bumper bottom, it and our pricy, 4 Bike, swing-away Yakima Mount would have taken the energy instead in a Bumper/Frame bending event.

I'd already planned to flip the single TT Axle and add Valve-protecting braces to bottom out first. Further, I'll have a Welder pal help config a very macho Receiver that TOP-mounts on the Bumper; made perhaps of heavier square stock. Consider that there's nothing holy about a Receiver mounting on the Bumper bottom. I might also make this new stock on TOP of the TT Frame rear have Receiver ends off each TT side. Those are very handy for mounting Accessories off of once set up in Camp. Lil Tables; part of an Outdoor Enclosure mount; or an outdoor Shower Enclosure are some possibilities once 'universal' 2" Receiver Mounts are there on each side waiting to be used. Only imagination is req'd...

The cantilevered Physics mentioned above in this Thread are so true. I'd always planned to be mindful of how far a rear load we impose on any TT Bumper; Tongue weight effects notwithstanding. Also, I plan an off-center Receiver mount so as to leave room laterally for the Bumper-mount Spare already there. With lil foresight and a dry run before Welding, I can make all this not block the TT Taillights.

Receiver Mount Skid Wheel

Google Search Results - Receiver Accessories
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
Just a quick note. Adding a hitch mounted to the frame will almost assuredly void your frame warranty. Just a heads up.
Although I intend to do exactly that to my 2010 Zinger to carry a small scooter, I figure that I will become my own warranty station if a problem develops with the frame.
There is no way I would ever mount anything heavier than a spare tire to the bumper. On my previous trailer, I carried the spare without any problems.
If you think getting old is bad;
consider the alternative.
rv-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #14
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I took my spare tire off the back wall mount. I took part of the bracket off too and left the part that is attached to the trailer wall. I then welded up a "L" shaped 2" square tube which has a receiver end. This I bolted to the remaining spare tire bracket I left on the trailer. Then I just slip in the bike rake. This is the 7th season with this set-up. My bumper is paper thin, the picture may look like it is resting on the bumper, but it is not. here is a link

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote