Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #1

Recent change of direction.

My wife and I have had a 36' Class A diesel pusher for several years now. Last weekend, after much discussion, we sold the MH and bought a 2019 Forest River Cherokee travel trailer and a 2016 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 to pull it with. I drive a truck for a living, so the size of the coach isn't an issue for me, but my wife is a bit out of her comfort level driving the bus. Then when you add the inconvenience of hooking and unhooking the toad, well, we decided to downsize.
We're in for a whole new set of rules. LOL. We obviously are going to have to downsize on what we carry, as the trailer has only a fraction of the storage that the motorhome had. But my biggest question is about a generator. The MH has a 7.5k diesel generator, the trailer comes with nothing. So, I'm looking for advice.
What do you all use, and what size? The trailer has one rooftop a/c unit, along with the normal power usage from lights, TV, etc.
I've considered two options;
1) Buy one larger generator, say around 3,500 watts and just run with it.
2) Buy two smaller, 2,000-watt generators and parallel them together for running the A/C, and just running one to power lights, etc. if the A/C isn't needed. That would require less gas, run nearly silently, and have easier replaceability should one unit fail.

I'm really curious if you all think it's less hassle to just run one larger generator and deal with the slightly noisier engine, or go with the smaller sets. I imagine there isn't much difference in sound level if you're running two smaller engines or one larger engine, but what do I know?

Any advice and/or suggestions?

TIA,
Duane
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #2

Congrats on the new setup. If your going to run the A/C , your going to need 2 of those Small Honda or other brand Genny's. I like the idea of 2 generators.

I have a travel trailer myself and a 15,000 BTU A/C, and the Honda 2000 won't run it. If I don t need the A/C it works great.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #3

….so hooking up a trailer is less stressful than a towed?????.... the DW is one who must be obeyed but going from a motor home to a TT--really? Weekends at the lake--sounds great.....going across the good old US of A--can't see it--IMHO
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….so hooking up a trailer is less stressful than a towed?????.... the DW is one who must be obeyed but going from a motor home to a TT--really? Weekends at the lake--sounds great.....going across the good old US of A--can't see it--IMHO
The toad has a strict checklist of things that must be followed to avoid damage to the transmission, as well as a mileage limit before a whole new list of things has to be done. Then you have CA's ridiculous DMV fees for power units, sky-high insurance rates to cover for all the illegals who don't bother with such trivial things such as car insurance, the ever-increasing maintenance costs for an 18- year old coach, the fact that diesel costs more in CA than regular gas, it just seemed right for us. JMHOYMMV
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #5

Pammi and I are kind of in the same situation, or will be when we retire in a few years.
I drive a truck for a living and would have no problem with a DP.
Pammi, on the other hand, prefers her smaller car over my pick up. Although, I HAVE made her drive around a few times hauling our TT, just to get used to it should the need arise when we start full timing.
As far as the gennie situation, I can't help, but it will be something that we'll need to think about when we make the plunge!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #6

...oh, now I see--you live in California---sorry, you have more to worry about than moving to a TT....May God bless your little heart.....be safe out there....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #7

We did the same switch last year. We went from a 2002 CC Intrigue, to a Lance TT.
Yes, it does take slightly more time to hook up the TT over the toad. But the biggest thing we miss the most is having everything within reach while going down the road, or pulling off for a quick stop.
But there are so many positives, maintenance, and the cost of is the biggest. The TT can sit for months and you can hook up and go camping. Can’t do that with a DP, as they do not like to sit. At first after selling the DP we had no intention of buying another RV, but that lasted 2 months. We are very happy with the TT. Can go a lot more places that the DP couldn’t. Not nearly the investment so I don’t worry about upkeep nearly as much. We didn’t have to downsize as we bought plenty of truck so we can carry whatever we want in the truck bed.
I would go with the 2 smaller units versus one big, as they will be easier to handle, and you can carry just one except for when you need the air.
JMO-Good luck with your new setup.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We made the same decision about three years ago, and we've never looked back.

I mounted a Honda 3000W generator at the back of the trailer. It can run everything, and it's so quiet! I also installed 400W of solar, and an inverter to supply 110V from the batteries.

We made several mods to our trailer to increase/improve the storage space.

We are really happy to be traveling with our truck/trailer!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1757.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	221279  
Attached Images

Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:10 AM   #9

I chose to use two 2000 watt Yamaha generators paralleled together over a single larger one because of ease of handling. The likelyhood of either of us getting stronger as we age Is wishful thinking. They ride on the floor in back seat or our truck as its unused space and easy to get in and out when needed.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
We made the same decision about three years ago, and we've never looked back.

I mounted a Honda 3000W generator at the back of the trailer. It can run everything, and it's so quiet! I also installed 400W of solar, and an inverter to supply 110V from the batteries.

We made several mods to our trailer to increase/improve the storage space.

We are really happy to be traveling with our truck/trailer!

Jim
That is a nice setup.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
That is a nice setup.

Thanks. We really enjoy it!

We have just completed a 35 day tour from our home in Manitoba out to Eastern Canada. Today we are leaving Moncton, NB for the U.S.A. for a two or three week tour through the States on our way back toward home. Gotta get back to experience the snow!

Life is good!

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #12

https://www.costco.com/generators.ht...ampion%2522%7C

We went this except ours isn't duel fuel. Been very pleased with it's performance after 2 years. It's a bit on the heavy side compared to the Honda/Yamaha's. Has a 30 amp RV plug, it's pretty quiet and runs our AC. I wouldn't run the AC and the microwave at the same time obviously.
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #13

Go the 2 genny route. I have Hondas but Yamahas are just as good just not found everywhere like Hondas are. There is plenty of no name brand gennys out there as well for less $$$. They are still a bit heavy but manageable by one person where as a 4K genny requires 2 men and a small boy to move around. The Hondas are now 2200 instead of 2000 so more than enough capability. If your hanging out in Quartzite this winter be sure to lock them up or they will grow legs and walk off. Also don't just throw them behind the seats in your truck because there is unused space there, at least make sure they are securely tied down. In a roll over a 8o lb genny flying around in the cab will make a bad day into a really bad day.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
When we had TTs we had two Honda’s. Loved them but it was a hassle hauling them out, starting them and pairing them and such. Now as a Class A owner I’m ruined by electric start from inside the RV.

If we went back to a TT I’d want a 3500 Honda with remote electric start permanent mounted somewhere. And self-leveling. And....