Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

Recommendations for my first RV

Hi, I'm new to the RV world. I'm very happy to have found this forum. I've been reading lots of posts today and feeling a little overwhelmed.

I could use use advice on my first RV. I've been thinking about getting an RV for several years and now my work situation seems to be pushing me that way also. My job is about 300 miles from home. I'm usually there 3 nights a week. I also want something my wife and I can use for vacations of up to 3 weeks. My tow vehicle is a Silverado 1500 4WD with the 5.3 Vortec engine and towing package. I'm looking for something that is good quality since it will get regular use but light enough to be towed with my truck. I think 20-22 ft is probably the length I'm looking for. Also since I usually get up much earlier than my wife I need a floor plan with a full time bed and a sitting area with a sofa. I've researched several and either a Nash or Arctic Fox sound great but there aren't many used ones around and I don't want to take the depreciation hit of a new one until I sure that RVing is right for us. What are some other good quality manufacturers I should look for?

I would really appreciate any advice.
RandyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
Hi, I'm new to the RV world. I'm very happy to have found this forum. I've been reading lots of posts today and feeling a little overwhelmed.

I could use use advice on my first RV. I've been thinking about getting an RV for several years and now my work situation seems to be pushing me that way also. My job is about 300 miles from home. I'm usually there 3 nights a week. I also want something my wife and I can use for vacations of up to 3 weeks. My tow vehicle is a Silverado 1500 4WD with the 5.3 Vortec engine and towing package. I'm looking for something that is good quality since it will get regular use but light enough to be towed with my truck. I think 20-22 ft is probably the length I'm looking for. Also since I usually get up much earlier than my wife I need a floor plan with a full time bed and a sitting area with a sofa. I've researched several and either a Nash or Arctic Fox sound great but there aren't many used ones around and I don't want to take the depreciation hit of a new one until I sure that RVing is right for us. What are some other good quality manufacturers I should look for?

I would really appreciate any advice.
Well, i can tell you that it looks like you guys purchased one sweet MH there! Those pictures were really nice! Good luck!
You say your annual budget is $20,000? The only reason why I ask is because I have no idea what it would cost me and the wife if we were to go full time.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

I've recently been in your shoes. I only made my decision last week. And this site and the people here really are a terrific source for info.

I decided on an Artic Fox 22G. My reasons for an RV are very similar to yours. I wanted quality because I would be in it for work and for extended periods of time. I also wanted it for camping. I chose AF for their reputable quality, durability, and layout.

Like you, my tow vehicle is a 1/2 ton p/u. I have a Dodge Ram 1500. If I could encourage one thing it would be to be sure to get all the weight capacity information possible and run the numbers. There are a lot of folks out here who can help.

I'll run through a few of the acronyms; GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, GTW, TW. You will need to know all of the "actuals" for these weights as well. Don't let the salesperson sell you too much trailer for your capacities.

There are many factors with every model truck that changes trailering capacities within the line. For example, trim options, axle ratio, HD cooling systems, etc. Simply stating your model does not provide enough info for an absolute answer to your question.

Good luck!

BTW - Here is a great link for you:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

cheers...
jpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #4

JPriest, thanks for the reply and welcome. I've already found this is a great place to go for good advice and info. I like the Article Fox and I'm leaning that way, but I'm looking for used and there doesn't seem to be many available. I'm also still not completely sure a TT is the best for me. I really like the idea of a MH in some ways. Some of the downsides of an MH of course are having to tow another vehicle and the cost.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #5

Arctic Fox is a great trailer and we were really impressed when we toured the factory a few years back. But in reality the important thing in a used RV is the condition of the actual unit, not necessarily the brand. We started in a new Fleetwood Lynx TT with a Toyota Tundra. Fleetwood did not have a great reputation at the time while Arctic Fox, of course, did. However, when we toured the Arctic Fox factory we found out most of the employees had come from Fleetwood when the plant in town changed hands.

In reality RV manufacturers are just the assemblers of parts made by other manufacturers. 80% of the parts in our "high quality" Hitchhiker fifth wheel are the identical units that were installed in our "budget" Fleetwood TT.

We loved our Fleetwood Lynx. It was lightweight and not a full-time trailer by any means, but it got us going and was cheap to buy. It seems to me that a well-cared for and beloved used RV built by a hum-drum manufacturer is going to serve you better than a big name brand that has been ridden hard and put away wet.

I'd recommend that you look at as many used trailers/MH's as you can manage to see and make your decision solely on the condition and the floor plan and amenities you feel you need. Bargain hard too... and don't settle for a price that's too high because there's always another even better RV out there waiting for you...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #6

Hey Randy, there is an Arctic Fox/Nash owner's website including a pretty good forum. Included in their forum is a "Classifieds" tab where folks advertise used Arctic Fox/Nash RV's for sale.

You might have to register first; not sure though.

Here's the link: Northwood RV Owners Association - Welcome to the new Northwood RV Owners Association

Cheers...
jpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpriest View Post
Hey Randy, there is an Arctic Fox/Nash owner's website including a pretty good forum. Included in their forum is a "Classifieds" tab where folks advertise used Arctic Fox/Nash RV's for sale.

You might have to register first; not sure though.

Here's the link: Northwood RV Owners Association - Welcome to the new Northwood RV Owners Association

Cheers...
Thanks Jeff. I'll check it out. I'm also impressed with Nash.