Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 08:35 AM   #1

Refrigerator -Freezer working, frig cooler is not?

Hello,
Just saw a post about warm walls. Kinda close to my question, but a bit different.
I am redoing my 1999TT, I had to drill new holes in the 2x2's I replaced due to water rot. I then had unhook all wiring to run it through the new holes..due to this, over a period of a few days I had to keep shutting off the breakers and then fiipping them back on. Due to stopping work so I could go to my job.
Anyway, now the frig won't cool down, but the freezer works..however the walls are searing hot..I discovered this yesterday when I touched the wall.
Someone mentioned I could have compression problems.
I shut fuses and frig off and left off for more than 7hrs. I didn't flip on and off.
Very concerns since I live full time in my TT. Thx for any advice
HoPInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #2

Just had this happen on our 6k trip. It was a super simple fix....the fan motor stuck blowing air to fridge part from freezer. Was told by service guy that this happens often on coaches (this is a full size residential, correct)....because they sit without being used for weeks or months.
Take a screwdriver handel and tap of fan cover in freezer (you will hear it come back on)....if that doesn't work you may have to pull off that fan cover and hand turn fan.
Palazzoteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palazzoteam View Post
Just had this happen on our 6k trip. It was a super simple fix....the fan motor stuck blowing air to fridge part from freezer. Was told by service guy that this happens often on coaches (this is a full size residential, correct)....because they sit without being used for weeks or months.
Take a screwdriver handel and tap of fan cover in freezer (you will hear it come back on)....if that doesn't work you may have to pull off that fan cover and hand turn fan.
After reading your full post....this may not be your fix (sounds more complicated)

But fans to freeze often in rv fridges
Palazzoteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #4

Thx but this is 24' ft nomad 1999 Nomad..it's a small frig and I never hear a fan. I don't see a fan. I see a fin grate but no fan
Old 07-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #5

This happened to a friend's TT this past weekend. It turned out he stored the TT in the driveway without leveling it when he was packing. Once we leveled the TT, the fridge once again worked.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #6

I.m confused..........

Is this a 'residential fridge' ---120V AC only...no propane and uses a compression

OR

Is this an RV Absorption fridge......which can cool using 120V AC heat element or uses propane flame.

??????????

It really helps to include BRAND/Model of an item when looking for HELP/
Several Brands.////.......LOTS of MODELS

Not including that info is like asking "How long should rope be"?
We all understand what rope is but have no idea WHAT it is going to be used for

OK!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:16 PM   #7

Hi Thx,
Was already chastised for this in another forum. Sorry, I am kind new and guess I need to brush up on posting skills.
It is a Nomatic RM 2652
It uses ammonia. Anyway, I wasn't getting very many answers( guess I know why now), so I just Youtubed a bunch of videos and tinkered with it.
First off, when I bought the trailer I was very green and no one (the dealer) told me that it would automatically shift to propane so for two years, I just assumed I had to turn it on and light it..well a friend earlier this year set me right, but it still did not work. Again after watching you tube, I blew out rust, vacuumed around it, knocked on the cylinder to release any more drudge and lo and behold the propane works, so I used that to see if it would get the frig working. Yes it did, then I switched back to AC and it still works. Yes, I knew about making sure it was level. I checked to make sure I couldn't smell ammonia. Not sure what the heck was wrong, but it's working. People keep telling there is a fan but so far I haven't spotted one. I even downloaded the manual. I did however open up the back vents a little bit more for airflow.
SO..thx for input and next time I will note the year, make and model.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:26 AM   #8

Never heard of a Nomatic fridge.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoPInn View Post
Hi Thx,
Was already chastised for this in another forum. Sorry, I am kind new and guess I need to brush up on posting skills.
It is a Nomatic RM 2652
It uses ammonia. Anyway, I wasn't getting very many answers( guess I know why now), so I just Youtubed a bunch of videos and tinkered with it.
First off, when I bought the trailer I was very green and no one (the dealer) told me that it would automatically shift to propane so for two years, I just assumed I had to turn it on and light it..well a friend earlier this year set me right, but it still did not work. Again after watching you tube, I blew out rust, vacuumed around it, knocked on the cylinder to release any more drudge and lo and behold the propane works, so I used that to see if it would get the frig working. Yes it did, then I switched back to AC and it still works. Yes, I knew about making sure it was level. I checked to make sure I couldn't smell ammonia. Not sure what the heck was wrong, but it's working. People keep telling there is a fan but so far I haven't spotted one. I even downloaded the manual. I did however open up the back vents a little bit more for airflow.
SO..thx for input and next time I will note the year, make and model.
My fridge would not get cold on propane. Freezer worked. Found that orifice for propane was partially blocked. Removed orifice and soaked in alcohol for 1/2hr. Then blew out orifice with low pressure air. Installed back in fridge. Both freezer and fridge worked. You should be able to hear burner when it is on. Not as loud as water heater. But loud enough to hear. My model is a RM2852. Everything the same as yours except a little larger.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

Thx for the 'reply' and update

DOMETIC is MFG. of RM2652 & RM2852 (Not 'Norcold')

With controls in 'Auto' fridge will swap energy sources -------
When 120V AC Is available that will be priority source
When 120V AC is not available controls will swap to propane

When you select 'gas' it will ONLY use propane

Unless fridge is installed in a 'slideout' there will NOT be a fan. Especially a 1999 year trailer.
Could have a fan IF previous owner installed one but not OEM

A good burner area cleanup is always a good thing
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator