Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Refrigerator on while towing

While towing our travel trailer does the fridge run off the battery of the truck or does the LP need to be on to keep it cold and running?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depends on how both rigs are wired AND if the refer is a three way and will run on 12 volts. Even a two way (gas and 120) needs 12 volt for the controls.

Need more info like make and model and whether 3 way (gas, 12v or 120v) or the much more normal now 2 way (gas, 120v)

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphincraze View Post
While towing our travel trailer does the fridge run off the battery of the truck or does the LP need to be on to keep it cold and running?
I believe that it will require LP to run. Probably draws too much power to run off the on board batteries or your tow vehicle. That is how mine is set up anyway. If you have an on-board generator that is a different story. Although I have heard of three way fridges, which I assume means either LP, 120v, or 12 volt.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

As Mr. D says depends on a lot of things , most newer fridges have not got a 12volt element to cool the fridge, so it has to be on propane to cool while you are driving. Remember to turn the fridge off if you stop for fuel.
Age and model of your fridge and RV, would help you get better answers.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #5

Its a 2013 Radiance by Viewfinder. Not sure of the fridge model. We are on the road now and I cant look. There was no owners Manuel for the fridge.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #6

We finally got our old fridge working on LPG so I leave it alone. We leave it running while on the road, the only time we turn it off is for ferry crossings where propane off is mandatory. It is a nuisance to relight.
We have a fiver, the fridge is far enough from the truck filler that I don't worry about it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several posts have been removed from this thread, as they are not in keeping with Community Rules. Please keep on topic and AVOID PERSONAL ATTACKS. Thanks.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Several posts have been removed from this thread, as they are not in keeping with Community Rules. Please keep on topic and AVOID PERSONAL ATTACKS. Thanks.
Thank yoi
Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our last camper was a 5th wheel. We kept the fridge on LP when traveling. My understanding is the 12 volts came from the battery in the camper. Then the truck kept the battery charged in the camper. We did this all the time. Longest trip was from PA to Yellowstone. Fridge was cold the entire time.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All five trailers we had ran on LP and we had them on the whole time we were traveling.

When we plugged into shore power they would automatically switch over to 110 volts.

You should set you refrigerator to Automatic if you want it to determine which power source is used.

The 12 volt battery on the trailer will provide the necessary 12 volts to the control circuit in the refrigerator and must be available. In other words, don't turn off your trailer battery if that is even an option.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Mine works the same way. 14 years old and still works very well.
99 Dutchman Lite. 30'. 2002 Ford F-350 Superduty 7.3 Liter Navistar Diesel manual 4x4, 3.73 ratio, True Blue, Bone StockSOLD! Current tow beast: 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel Allison 1000 Automatic 4x4, 3.73, Onxy Black, Bone Stock.
fbh31118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #12

Our pop up had a three way fridge. I'd run it on 110 when we were plugged in, then on 12 volt while towing. If we were going somewhere to dry camp, I'd just run it on propane while towing and dry camping.

Our new travel trailer only works on 110 or propane. While travelling, I run it on propane. Most of the time while camping, I'll just leave it on propane as it doesn't use much.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The few 3-way frigs (propane, 120VAC and 12 VDC) that you will see are the smaller ones.

To run most of the RV frigs on the road, you need a generator for 120 VAC operation or 12 VDC and propane for non-electric operation.

Ken
Old 09-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I appreciate the information regarding turning off the propane while traveling. I pulled a 36 foot 5th wheel and never turned off the propane. This may be as a result of never seeing anything directing me to turn it off. Never went through tunnels with it. Only up and down interstate 95 from Northern Va.
I always left it on automatic when loaded. I would plug it in the night before we were loading the fridge and it stays cold between the road and power at the CG to home again. Worked great. Now that we are picking up our RV tomorrow, I expect during the 3 plus hour orientation the dealer said would take to cover all systems, I will learn more about this unit which has a full size residential fridge and freezer. Let you know what I find out. If different than what has been posted.

Tags
refrigerator, towing