Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #1

Question Refrigerator Pilot not lighting...

I guess I should have combined threads...

Our fridge wont run on propane. When you switch it to gas, the electric starter in back clicks, but it will not start light. It clickes a few times, stops, tries again then flashes "check" inside.

Is this simply a line blockage somewhere, or something different? What parts should I check?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
I guess I should have combined threads...

Our fridge wont run on propane. When you switch it to gas, the electric starter in back clicks, but it will not start light. It clickes a few times, stops, tries again then flashes "check" inside.

Is this simply a line blockage somewhere, or something different? What parts should I check?
It could be a couple of things. If the fridge hasn't been run for awhile the gas line may not be full to the burner. In the spring I have to hit the start button maybe 5 times before it will stay lit. Assuming you have sufficient propane, the burner area in the back of the fridge probably needs cleaning. You have to remove a guard to gain access. Vacuum the area around the burner and hit the flue a few times to dislodge any debris in the exhaust. I also run a little sandpaper on the sensor probe to make sure that it is clean.

Ret Syntst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #3

If all seems to be in working order my guess would be that you need to purge the air. I open up a burner on my stove (furthest from tank) when we get in and hold a long handle lighter up to it until it lights and then shut it off.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
If all seems to be in working order my guess would be that you need to purge the air. I open up a burner on my stove (furthest from tank) when we get in and hold a long handle lighter up to it until it lights and then shut it off.

It works otherwise. In fact its sometimes TOO cold when running on electricity.

I just can't get the pilot to work.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #5

Few notes: that is not a "pilot." Pilot lights burn all the time. That is the main flame.

If it's "too" cold, that can be another issue, that should be verified.

What happens is the gas valve opens, the ignitor sparks, and then gas lights.
So the burner could be dirty or bad, orifice clogged, gas valve bad, ignitor or ignitor wire bad and sparking somewhere else, or clogged line to the refr.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #6

Clean the burner and electrode and purge the air. If after a couple attempts it still wont light then it's probably a failed part. So what part, well.... for me I start with the electrode because it's cheap and the tip is in the flame so makes since that it goes bad. If that's not it then it's probably the board, but can be the gas valve. I change the board next as it's easier and because I have them sitting on the self.. Of course I will ohm the valve and very rarely is that the culprit. Most common is the board and/or electrode....
Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Turn the gas on an hour ahead of needing to use it (assuming it has been off for several days). This usually works to get it to the fridge with consistent gas flow. If I have to switch over quickly I run the range for a minute to ensure a steady supply of gas has reached that area and it ignites right away. This only happens when I have shut off the propane for several days. I think it is probably somewhat common.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #8

We have a Dometic and when I would disconnect from 110v the fridge check light would come on. You could hear the solenoid activate but no flame, I took the therm o coupling to an RV dealer ship and they said it was ok because it was not cracked and it was possibly a circuit board. I ended up replacing the circuit board and it fixed the problem.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I have the same problem after the coach has been in storage for 2 weeks or more. I have always been able to fix the problem by "burnishing" the area on the burner that meets the spark and also cleaning the tip of the igniter. It still takes a couple of restarts to get the gas cleared but then it works for the entire trip whether it is 3 days or 6 weeks without anymore trouble. :} good luck
Old 10-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
Turn the gas on an hour ahead of needing to use it (assuming it has been off for several days). This usually works to get it to the fridge with consistent gas flow. If I have to switch over quickly I run the range for a minute to ensure a steady supply of gas has reached that area and it ignites right away. This only happens when I have shut off the propane for several days. I think it is probably somewhat common.

There's no telling HOW long it's been since the fridge ran on propane. IF it ever did run on propane. The previous owners didn't seem to be much of the "boondocker" type.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
We have a Dometic and when I would disconnect from 110v the fridge check light would come on. You could hear the solenoid activate but no flame, I took the therm o coupling to an RV dealer ship and they said it was ok because it was not cracked and it was possibly a circuit board. I ended up replacing the circuit board and it fixed the problem.

If it were a circuit board problem, would the ingniter attempt to spark and shut off automatically? I would think that if it were a circuit board problem that wouldn't work properly. I'm inclined to think its more of a gas supply issue at this point....
Old 10-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #12

We really just want to be able to run the propane to keep the trailer cool while traveling from point a to point b.

Is that advisable or not?
Old 10-10-2014, 10:04 AM   #13

Thats the only time we use propane. Every trip. If you are the hands on type there are several sites where you can get the manual for your model (they have troubleshooting guides within)
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:02 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Mine had a spider web in there and it was directing the gas away and wouldn't light. Sounds crazy, but cleaning out the web fixed it right up...

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, refrigerator