Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 02:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Adjusted for accuracy. We don't live in a perfect world.

Which way is the wind blowing?
Cute

Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 AM   #16

Glad this question was asked as I am new to the TT world and never even thought about turning off the fridge when fueling. Now I will.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
While I will always err on the side of safety, when was the last time anyone saw a news item where the gas station exploding scenario happened and it was blamed on an RV fridge?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:28 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The problem is it only takes once, do you want to be there when it happens? I sure don't want to be anywhere around.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The "it only takes once" stance could be applied to a nuclear weapon going off in your toilet while you're in the bathroom. Sure it only takes once, but does it happen?

No, I'm not going to flirt with this danger, but what I asked is has it been documented that this has happened say, within the last decade?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #20

i travel with my refrigerator on propane, BUT I would NEVER fuel up with it operating. I can be very cautious about my fueling procedures, but how about those at adjacent islands? What happens if there is a fuel spill? FIRE.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #21

While I will agree that shutting off all gas burning appliances is a good idea, the chance that vapors of the appropriate strength (14.7 to 1 ratio to air right?) get blown by wind into the appliance without dissipating below that ratio seems extremely slim.

I have never shut off the fridge when fueling either my previous gasser or my current Diesel (less dangerous by far)... Just my opinion.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #22

Always leave the fridge running on propane. Never leave the WH or furnace on. That's a waste of propane and sorta stupid anyway. If you need hot water the instance you setup camp then better planning might be necessary. And why would anyone run the furnace to heat up an empty trailer? MY fridge is on the opposite side of my trucks filler.
Paranoia will destroy ya.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #23

I didn't blow up

3600 miles in ten days and about 15 fill ups over that time. Never turned off the fridge and my trailer is still white and intact. I never noticed any burning fuel stations the whole trip either. Didn't hear anything on XM Fox News either.
I think a guy would probably have a better chance of getting hit by a car while jaywalking that having his fridge ignite a gas station. Both have a minute chance of personal injury but I think just about everyone jaywalks from time to time and it is probably much more dangerous.
I did have a blowout on the trailer doing 72mph...but that is a different subject.
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. I hope it helps others make a decision one way or the other when fueling up with their TT or RV.
Bruce
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #24

Laziness and stupidity go hand in hand. Any potential for ignition around gas pumps should avoided, period. People who get away with stupid behavior often think their getting away with it means it's not stupid behavior and try to justify it.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Any potential for ignition around gas pumps should avoided, period.
We better get those cars and other vehicles away from those gas pumps, then.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
Laziness and stupidity go hand in hand. Any potential for ignition around gas pumps should avoided, period. People who get away with stupid behavior often think their getting away with it means it's not stupid behavior and try to justify it.
Agree, well said, some people don't get it.

Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, propane, refrigerator