Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Refueling the truck with the refrigerator on propane

Let me start by stating that I am sure there are dozens of threads discussing this subject but I couldn't get any to pop up.
So here goes:
Is it OK to stop for gas for the truck and refuel while the refrigerator in the travel trailer is running on propane? If I should shut it down, how do I do that? Can I just turn it off on the control panel or do I have to shut down the propane as well?
I don't think I have ever heard of a travel trailer blowing up a gas station.

esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

It's one of those things we are suppose to do but hardly ever remember to do.

For the most part we all get away with not turning the burners off on the water heater and frig because they are so far away from the gas fumes, and if you have to have a lot of strong fumes around you to cause a fire, like being directly over the tank filler.

In reality, yes it's possible a wind shift could cause you and everyone around you a bad day, if the water heater lights up just when the fumes blow into it, or the small pilot light size flame is feed heavy fumes.

If you want to shut the flame off, just use the control panel for both water heater and refrigerator. I did shut mine off if I remembered to do it. With diesel now I never worry about it.

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we travel, the water heater is off, fridge stays on. Fueling we turn the furnace off.

I have never heard of a fridge causing a fire at the gas station. But with a water heater and furnace, its a possibility if they pop on at the pump due to the way the operate.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:30 AM   #4

We never worry about it, the contained burner ( we only have the fridge going ) are at least 20 feet from the pump !
Old 07-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
IC2

I seldom remember to turn off the reefer when in a gas station but probably should. I do use diesel but there are usually gas pumps nearby being used by others. If I recall, more then one instance of fire by a person reported using a cell phone**, no open flame such as a pilot in an RV appliance.

**Not sure how that can happen as those 'gadgets' shouldn't spark - ever
Old 07-23-2015, 06:23 AM   #6

You are supposed to turn off ALL LP burning appliances that have an open flame. That is all of them, the WH and furnace are no different than the refr.
Just turn the appliance off and that's all you need.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
X2 on what Jesilvas said. Again this is not only for your safety but everyone else's also.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #8

THanks for all the replies. I appreciate the opinions and advice. Just what I was looking for.
esox07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Should I, Yah, probably should.

Do I, No.

If I squirted the gas nozzle at the frig access cover, I suspect we would see photos of a flaming MH on the forum the next day.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
Let me start by stating that I am sure there are dozens of threads discussing this subject but I couldn't get any to pop up.
So here goes:
Is it OK to stop for gas for the truck and refuel while the refrigerator in the travel trailer is running on propane? If I should shut it down, how do I do that? Can I just turn it off on the control panel or do I have to shut down the propane as well?
I don't think I have ever heard of a travel trailer blowing up a gas station.
-----------------------------------------------------
If the gas pump has a vapor recovery system like California, there will not be any gas fumes reaching the TT refrig propane flame. Other states may be different, it depends. If you do shut off the TT system, shut it off at the refrig off switch, which is the source of ignition. Turning off the propane at the tank will not turn off the source of ignition of your concerned gas fumes that have a low potential of being a problem outside in the open at the pump. But be aware if in states where there is not a fuel/vapor recovery type gas nozzle, that the person before you filling up may have topped off causing gas to overflow and spill onto the ground. Make sure your TT is not stopped over this gas wet spot.
Happy Travels!
Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
THanks for all the replies. I appreciate the opinions and advice. Just what I was looking for.
I see you have the info your looking for , but I thought I'd throw this in.

For the most part this rule, shutting off all open flame devices; is a liability issue, in a worst case , if there was a fire or explosion at a fueling station, and it was traced back to being triggered by your RV fridge, how likely is it that the oil company would sue you ?

For my part; fridge always off when fueling, and I avoid any station that's having a fuel delivery; that's when the fumes; around the station; are at their worst, and when any contaminates in the underground tanks are stirred up and likely to be pumped into your tank.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:17 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onstar20 View Post
If the gas pump has a vapor recovery system like California, there will SHOULD not be any gas fumes reaching the TT refrig propane flame.
Adjusted for accuracy. We don't live in a perfect world.

Which way is the wind blowing?
Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #13

Imagine this, you pull in to gas up and your filler tube is on the drivers side. Someone pulls in on the side next to your RV hot water tank side and is filling up. Your heater goes on and boom, the whole gas station goes up in flames. Good idea to turn off the propane at the source.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
"...Your heater goes on and boom, the whole gas station goes up in flames. "
You made the point to turn off the source of ignition. Turning off the the propane does not preclude ignition from occurring so that if you turn off your propane, your appliance could still ignite those wandering fumes at the pump as you describe.

Onstar20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, propane, refrigerator