Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #1

Refurbished Inverters

What are your thoughts on refurbished inverters? Looks like you could save a few hundred bucks and they have a 1 year warranty. What are some of the risks that would go along with them? Here is a couple of examples that I found;

Magnum Energy RMS2012

Refurbished Magnum Off Grid Inverters

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My same thoughts with anything refurbished. Sorter warranty and the fact something failed and why it was refurbished to begin with. The components that didn't fail, now have more time on them than new. To me, it's a roll of the dice whether that 100 bucks saved is worth it or not.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It looks to be $500 bucks saved.

Mike
Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
You can get a brand new one with full warranty for $1218 (less than $70 more than the best price shown for a refurbished unit in the original post) at iMarine USA - Search You'll need to add it to your cart to see the price.

This is where I purchased my 2812 and accessories, and there service is excellent.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
With a refurbished unit, at least a technician has looked at it and determined if it was functional. Not necessarily so with a new one. Often a few from the batch are tested and the rest are ASSUMED to be in working order.
But this is a big ticket item, and if the longer warrantee is comforting than the money is well spent and justified.
Dick

Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Magnum

IMarine certainly does have good prices. A new inverter/charger is on the list. If I can figure out what to do with the generator auto start system that is currently installed (not convinced I need it), I will likely become one of their customers. I am also not sure if I want to try to run the remote cables back to the overhead cabinet. I will consider mounting the controls in the bay close to the inverter. Anyone have experience in changing the remote in a Newmar? I have used Magnums on a couple boats in the past and I am very happy with them.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbg II View Post
IMarine certainly does have good prices. A new inverter/charger is on the list. If I can figure out what to do with the generator auto start system that is currently installed (not convinced I need it), I will likely become one of their customers. I am also not sure if I want to try to run the remote cables back to the overhead cabinet. I will consider mounting the controls in the bay close to the inverter. Anyone have experience in changing the remote in a Newmar? I have used Magnums on a couple boats in the past and I am very happy with them.
If you currently have a Xantrex inverter, then you should be able to use the existing data cable from the Magnum inverter to the new Magnum remote monitor. It worked for me. Regarding the auto gen start, if you don't have a residential refrigerator and/or don't need your air conditioners to maintain a certain temperature for any pets you may have while you're away from the coach, then you probably don't need the AGS.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
You can get a brand new one with full warranty for $1218 (less than $70 more than the best price shown for a refurbished unit in the original post) at iMarine USA - Search You'll need to add it to your cart to see the price.

This is where I purchased my 2812 and accessories, and there service is excellent.

They do have some great prices. Changes the whole thought pattern. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to buy refurbished when the price is that close.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #9

I agree with Theberrys. I used to repair electronic test equipment in the Army and for Motorola. We tested and calibrated every function before sending anything back on the line.

I bought a reburb Samsung Tab 2 and other referb'd items and they all looked like they just came off the assembly line. Sometimes I wonder if they call them reburb'd just to make a quick sale.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
...and they all looked like they just came off the assembly line. Sometimes I wonder if they call them reburb'd just to make a quick sale.
Often the refurbs are the result of buyer's remorse and return.