Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 08:42 AM   #1

regrease sway bar

My sway bar creaks A LOT when turning and driving. I've noticed that its bone dry with very little grease left on it. Any suggestions on what to add to it? how about my hitch ball?

Thanks in advance
Jbird1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

What do you mean by "sway bar"?

I use a standard Marine Waterproof grease on both the hitch ball and WDH spring bars that connect into the hitch where those turn.

If you have an add-on friction sway bar, those do not get greased as the friction part will be lost.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Consult your owner's manual.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird1311 View Post
My sway bar creaks A LOT when turning and driving. I've noticed that its bone dry with very little grease left on it. Any suggestions on what to add to it? how about my hitch ball?

Thanks in advance
As Red said, if friction type, anti-sway is what you have like in this pictureClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170713_202818.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	168653, it is supposed to stay "bone dry" except the ball sockets that attach to he tongue and hitch which can use lube such as Reece Hitch Lube. They will creak and pop a lot unless you reduce the tension.

They are designed to have significant tension when running down the highway/road. You can loose up the tension when you enter a campground if you prefer (and should always do so when backing up to avoid damage) to avoid having to hear all the noise.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:58 PM   #5

Which hitch do you have? Can't give opinion until we know.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #6

Do not apply any grease anywhere near that sway bar! Maybe a little oil on the two little ball connectors on each end, but even that isn't needed. I used to have one of those hitches, and the only time mine creaked and groaned was when it got wet after I left it out one night. Cinch it up as tight as possible. Even when tight it is a poor sway controller, if sway is a concern get a WD hitch with built in sway control. I love my Husky Center Line. No sway at all with the TT that we have now, 35' from stem to stern.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote