Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 10:14 AM   #1

Relocating Spare Tire

Hello All !
Hard to believe Forrest River thought this setup was the way to go, i'm sure not going down the road with the cargo carrier down and spare mounted this way ! Any input on relocating it, other than putting it in the pickup when traveling.

Thanks Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0709.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	93639   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0707.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	93640  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #2

How about hide a spare by BAL.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431012285.134563.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	93641Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431012301.459008.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	93642

It puts the spare on a sliding mount under the camper. I used it on a V cross 275 and it was great. The cargo tack is unusable with the spare on.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #3

I can't see that set up putting any excess strain on the hinges at all .

I don't know what the framing, and holding tank mounting, looks like under your trailer, but if there is an attachment point ; or if one can be easily made ; you could mount a winch set up just like your truck.
I had to move the spare mount on my last 5er ; rear kitchen ; to get more pin weight , to cure a handling problem.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

The big issue is the spare is to low w the rack down.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I can't see that set up putting any excess strain on the hinges at all .

I don't know what the framing, and holding tank mounting, looks like under your trailer, but if there is an attachment point ; or if one can be easily made ; you could mount a winch set up just like your truck.
I had to move the spare mount on my last 5er ; rear kitchen ; to get more pin weight , to cure a handling problem.

I looked at doing that and it is quite a project. The sliding rack takes a couple hours and a couple of holes and you are done. I got makarios to get one for me from. BAL does not really market them for the aftermarket .
Old 05-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

So agree, can see that tire draging, in addition to the load it applies to the rack, yes i'm old, but it's a good load to lift the rack up and down with the tire on it. No dought, if other solutions are not found, and we want to use the rack, it's going in the truck bed !!!!!
Old 05-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Hello All !
Hard to believe Forrest River thought this setup was the way to go, i'm sure not going down the road with the cargo carrier down and spare mounted this way ! Any input on relocating it, other than putting it in the pickup when traveling.

Thanks Jim
Not hard to believe at all. Just another cost cutting measure that makes no sense. On my daughters trailer I moved the spare to the tongue. I got a piece of 1/4" steel and cut what I needed on my bandsaw. Welded it up to the bottom of the existing mount and clamped it to the street side of the tongue. Works great. If you have room maybe do that before mounting under the RV because that can be more difficult to access when needed.
Good luck.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Not hard to believe at all. Just another cost cutting measure that makes no sense. On my daughters trailer I moved the spare to the tongue. I got a piece of 1/4" steel and cut what I needed on my bandsaw. Welded it up to the bottom of the existing mount and clamped it to the street side of the tongue. Works great. If you have room maybe do that before mounting under the RV because that can be more difficult to access when needed.
Good luck.
BAL's design is great, out of the way and takes one thumb screw and a safety clip to drop down and slide out. Look at the video in their web page. I was more than happy with the design.

The good side of this whole thing is that the rack itself AND the rear frame of the campers with this feature are really beefed up and the racks are rated for a pretty heavy load, 250 lbs in my case.

Many rear bumpers in today's campers can't hardly hold themselves up, let alone an rack of any kind. I would seriously give it consideration over welding something on the frame up front, where, depending on your weight distribution, you may have more tongue weight than you want anyway. Moving that spare all the way from the back to the front could increase your tongue weight by almost double the weight of the tire and wheel itself, which is not trivial.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #9

I understand what you are saying but I never liked fooling with spares mounted under a vehicle of any sort. The spare location on my E250 work and tow vehicle is a pain. The location on my truck is no better. I would rather deal with a spare that is clean from having a cover on it than what the typical spare looks like from miles of travels down wet roads. I would never weld the bracket to the tongue, that's why I modified the bracket to clamp it on. If adding a spare tire to a tongue throws you over your tongue weight limit that just shows that your vehicle is too close to the limit. What if you put a 5 gallon can of gas in the back of your rig or an extra passenger? That puts you over this theoretical limit also.
In the end the OP will do what he thinks best and I have a feeling that that doesn't include making the spare tire more inaccessible.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
I understand what you are saying but I never liked fooling with spares mounted under a vehicle of any sort. The spare location on my E250 work and tow vehicle is a pain. The location on my truck is no better. I would rather deal with a spare that is clean from having a cover on it than what the typical spare looks like from miles of travels down wet roads. I would never weld the bracket to the tongue, that's why I modified the bracket to clamp it on. If adding a spare tire to a tongue throws you over your tongue weight limit that just shows that your vehicle is too close to the limit. What if you put a 5 gallon can of gas in the back of your rig or an extra passenger? That puts you over this theoretical limit also.
In the end the OP will do what he thinks best and I have a feeling that that doesn't include making the spare tire more inaccessible.
My point is, which you have not seen nor experianced is that the BAL hide a spare is not less accessible and you blanket statment is without direct foundation. I have experianced under truck spares and have one now AND bracket mounted spares on trailers and like I have said, it is NOT harder to access. AGAIN, look at the video.

I'm sure the OP will make the best decision for him, and I appreciate your opinion, even if you have not actually experianced the product I am talking about.

In my case I had a fifth wheel and the underside mount was the best solution for me, maybe the trailer tongue is the best for him.

Regards
Old 05-11-2015, 07:47 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
The underbody slide rack comes stock on all Aviators from FR and there is room for two spares. My spares don't get dirty at all and they are very easy to access and secure [lock]. If I am not carrying a second spare under there, I'm carrying a fold up alum ladder.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:15 AM   #12

Think i,m going to try mounting it under the front yoke, under the battery box and propane bottles. I know it's going to increase tongue weight, but since i want to start using the rear rack (really don't know with the spare mounted to it ) may off set some of it.
Won't be doing anything to i see how changing to LT tires works out.
Many Thanks

Tags
cat