Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #1

Removal problem

i am tryiing to replace my refridgerator it is a dometic 2610. the fit coming out of the entry door is about a 16th of an inch to small. do you have any idea what i can do? the metal flang on the fridge is holding me up any suggestion would be helpful. i have been going crazy!!! the only thing i can think of is removing the door frame on the trailer or the fridge. any help would be a blessing Thanks
BG1SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have read several post that the windshield had to be removed and the fridge moved in through it. That would probably require a forklift.

How big is your replacement. Will it go in with the door frame removed. The door frame would probably ba a lot harder to reseal than the windshield.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #3

It doesn't sound like you have tried to remove the door on the refer. That would be my first choice. Have you checked out the size of any emergency exit windows?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some have taken it out a side window.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
From the responses so far, I'm thinking we all have "coach" in mind, but the OP is talking about the door on his "Trailer". So, if this is a trailer, I sure can't help.

I know a couple of folks who have done this remove/replace thing through the curbside window behind the sofa on their coach, but in both cases, a forklift on the outside to hold up the load was pretty much essential...... plus some BIG DUDES.
It's a lot easier to pull that curb side window than mess with the windshield or door.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
As an allegro dealer ser. mgr. this is a common problem. If you have a drivers door, removing the drivers seat usually gives enough room. If not the door frame is the best. You do not want to remove the windshield, unless it is broken and needs replacing anyway. Having a windshield removed and reinstalled is expensive and if broken is not covered. The doorframe is really not hard to remove and reinstall. With a razor knife, cut the sealant around the frame edge. Pop the plastic trim out of the screw cover and remove the screws. Remove the door. To reinstall, make sure you seal the door good before you put it in
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #7

If removing the refrigerator door trim will gain needed clearance, it is the easiest and cheapest way to get it through the door.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #8

great advice

Thanks to all of you who responded so quickly. I was amazed !! All Your advice was more then welcome. Ray from In your suggestion is along the line of what I was thinking, but I need to look at some other ideas like checking the size of the windows. Thanks to all of you
BG1SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
The other solution is a really big can opener. We had a freezer in the basement that quit and access was too tight to get it out (structure had been altered). I used a 7" angle grinder with a cut off wheel. If you do this shield surrounding from the spark stream as it will set fires and melt plastic/fabric/carpet (I use a fiberglass blanket).
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
As an allegro dealer ser. mgr. this is a common problem. If you have a drivers door, removing the drivers seat usually gives enough room. If not the door frame is the best. You do not want to remove the windshield, unless it is broken and needs replacing anyway. Having a windshield removed and reinstalled is expensive and if broken is not covered. The doorframe is really not hard to remove and reinstall. With a razor knife, cut the sealant around the frame edge. Pop the plastic trim out of the screw cover and remove the screws. Remove the door. To reinstall, make sure you seal the door good before you put it in
This is a TT
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
If removing the refrigerator door trim will gain needed clearance, it is the easiest and cheapest way to get it through the door.
Agreed...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Let us know how it went.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #13

Commercial Member

You didn't post if you plan on repairing the fridge or not.
If it is scrap a $25 reciprocating saw from Harbor Freight will make short work of cutting the old unit in two.
This doesn't address how to get the new unit in but maybe the new one has smaller dimensions.