Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #1

Removing check valve from city water inlet

My trailer is set up in a seasonal rv park. I don't tow it. For water I connect a hose from park water valve to city water inlet on my trailer.

The check valve in city water inlet was going bad. When winterizing last year the spring and keeper flew off it. I tried pumping antifreeze into the city water inlet with a hand pump and it wouldn't go.

I'll be opening my trailer at the end of this month. I'm thinking water from hose won't get past the defective check valve since the antifreeze didn't. I don't need the check valve because I can put a plug in city water inlet when I winterize. A simple solution is to remove the check valve without removing the city water inlet from the trailer. How should I do this? Do I drill it out or what? (Yes, I thought about replacing the city water inlet, but it's really not necessary.)
tombucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombucz View Post
My trailer is set up in a seasonal rv park. I don't tow it. For water I connect a hose from park water valve to city water inlet on my trailer.

The check valve in city water inlet was going bad. When winterizing last year the spring and keeper flew off it. I tried pumping antifreeze into the city water inlet with a hand pump and it wouldn't go.

I'll be opening my trailer at the end of this month. I'm thinking water from hose won't get past the defective check valve since the antifreeze didn't. I don't need the check valve because I can put a plug in city water inlet when I winterize. A simple solution is to remove the check valve without removing the city water inlet from the trailer. How should I do this? Do I drill it out or what? (Yes, I thought about replacing the city water inlet, but it's really not necessary.)
You may be able to remove the check valve without removing the valve assembly, but it will probably be difficult. Don't drill it out - you don't want the debris in your water lines.

Disconnect the water line from the back of the valve. There is a small plastic disk inside the valve you have to pop out. With that out, you can remove the check valve plunger and spring. Reconnect the water line and you will be back in business.

If you have to remove the assembly to get at the back, you might as well replace the valve assembly. They're not that expensive, and it will avoid having to plug the inlet any time you want to use the pump.

FWIW, the easiest way to get antifreeze into the system is to disconnect the water line from the pump inlet. Get a piece of plastic tubing and fasten it to a 1/2" female pipe connector. Connect the tubing to the pump inlet, put the free end into a jug of RV antifreeze and use the pump to draw the antifreeze into the system. They also sell a winterizing kit that comes with a 3-way valve and tubing with the pipe connector so you don't have to disconnect the pump inlet every time you want to winterize.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If you can't remove the cover plate and access the water line, you could still drill it out. Just put one of these:
Amazon.com: Camco 22484 Water Bandit: Automotive
on the hose end and put it over your sink faucet. You can then back flush the shavings back out the line.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

I would have thought the check valve is part of a backflow prevention system required for any "appliance" connected to city water supply.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
I would have thought the check valve is part of a backflow prevention system required for any "appliance" connected to city water supply.
I wondered about that too! He could always install one of these to keep the check valve function:

VALTERRA LLC A010141VP Anti-Siphon Valve - Walmart.com

If he turned on his water pump, without the check valve he'd just pump water out the hose or into the campground water system!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #6

Yesterday I replaced the city water inlet. The old one had brass male threads.
The new one has plastic threads. I called the factory and they said this part is being made in plastic because it's cheaper.
tombucz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water