Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Repair questions, Needs Immediate attention before I move in

I've taken some pictures of the new TT (1973 Impalla) and am compiling a list of immediate repairs. First it needs a major bug cleansing. Then, will tape and patch walls and paint the entire inside (except the floor) with Kilz; even inside the ugly cabinets. I can live with them for awhile as long as I know they're clean.

Question 1, picture 1 & 2) the A/C works but it obviously needs some work.
It says Kingair on the inside. I can't make out the letters on the top of the RV but I'm not familiar with any brands. It looks like "Continental"? Any guesses? A good cleaning and it's missing some parts. My guess it needs a filter? Where is the condenser, above the ceiling? I think the gasket is still good, no water stains around the unit. Can I get parts for it? Especially the covers that are missing. What should I use to clean it with, obviously it can't get wet... would it be better to replace it? I see a huge range of prices from $100 up. I certainly understand you get what you pay for.
How efficient are these rooftop units? While researching online I've noticed the BTU's are extremely high for such a small space. I currently live in a mobile home (about the same insulation as the RV from what I can tell) and last year I bought 2 5000 btu window units. These kept the 480 sf I use in the MH COLD on a middle setting. The TT is much smaller so it seems to me 10,000 btu's would be overkill and some of those units are 14,000+.

Question 2, Pic 3) A hole on the outside. What the heck was this for? The good news is that I can see fiberglass insulation inside and it looks to be okay. No mold but I can only see a tiny amount of the insulation. The hole is also under the awning. Can I use spray foam sealant to seal the hole temporarily until I can re-clad the exterior?

Question 3, picture 4) Short of removing the walls and floor, how do I find out how the trailer is constructed? I saw a drawing in a brochure for an early 80's Newmar Kountry Aire. Wood construction with 2x2 studs; I am actually pretty impressed with their structure. Would the Impala be similar?
I don't like the way the plumbing is installed. Are there wood trusses? Would they be 2x4 or 2x6? would I be able to run the plumbing through the trusses and out the side of the trailer instead of underneath the chassis?

Question 4, pic 5) Furnace. Is this a normal furnace for an RV? It looks just like the MH furnace, except cleaner and nicer. Can anyone tell me about it? Is it a good one? Any guesses as to the btu output? Maybe find a manual for it?

Question 5, pic 6) The tongue (right?). Rusty, the little lever that clamps onto the ball (term?) sticks something terrible, will wd-40 help or should I use something else. Can I take replace this piece? Everything looks welded. I saw all sorts of tow bars and weight distributors as well as but if this is one solid piece I can't replace anything. I also saw cranks with wheels. But, once again this one is welded. The wheel is missing. I don't think I need the wheel but at the very least a cap on that down tube would be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	22816   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof AC.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	22817  

Name:	hole.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	22818   Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	22819  

Name:	furnace.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	22821   Click image for larger version

Name:	rusty mech.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	588.3 KB
ID:	22822  

EchoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #2

Looks good from here????. May need more than paint. Older models were constructed of wood with metal shell. Some with 2x4 and cheaper models with 2x2. Looks lke the hole is for your water entry. Good luck and I believe I would either keep the boyfriend or find one with a lot of common sense and mechanical and carpentry skills
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair