Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Repeatable Dealer

I'm in the market for a new 15-16 footer. I have owned many trailers and just sold a 97 model. We had a deal I thought with a major dealer in the Dallas area. My problem and most likely a deal breaker is; after price agreement on a 15' and approved we were to sign the loan contract, the dealer tried to charge $140 for document fees, $363 for a brake control for my truck I just bought, and $550 for gap insurance on a $10380.00 trailer. The gap insurance on my $28000 truck was only $403. Mostly I just do not like this guys sly nature. In our discussions we gave these people many opportunites to be upfront about what would be added in and how much certain items and extras would be. Only at closing was the pressures applied. The deal is on hold for the time being because the finance guy told my wife, who has funded auto dealerships for the last 25 years for one of the major 3 auto manufactures, that "the state regulates the price of Gap insurance and that "they" couldn't charge anymore or less" for Gap, basically saying the state sets the price of Gap insurance. When in fact the state does regulate Gap and caps it at $750,00, but the dealerships can charge up to 750 if they think they can get away with it. My question is does anyone know a upfront dealership in Texas?
no2carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

KZ RV Club
We just purchased a used unit and ended going down to Houston to purchase from PPL motor homes. They were great. We were going purchase up here in the Denton area but most would not budge on their overinflated sticker price. I.e. no negotiation. We did like explore USA but kinda messed with us at the last min so we walked.
NorthTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
forcing you to buy gap is illegal in most states and a waste of money the gap dollars go to the bank not you if there is a complete loss the better results would be obtained by you purchasing stated value insurance.
you can walk or RUN from any deal you feel uncomfortable with
brian
Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #4

Nacodoghes Tx Genuin RV. We bought a Keystone Outback last year. Did all the negotiating over the phone. No surprises when we came to sign an pick it up. I would go back again.
Bear25314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

We are in the DFW area (Lancaster) we looked all over north Texas and more . Try USA explorer David. 972 - 978 - 0582 they are in wills point almost in canton
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #6

We went to the mesquite. Explorer. Dealer and did not like there attitude . David drove up from canton to see the trailer we wanted in the mesquite lot. The mesquite office had sold it and not taken it off the inventory sheet?

Bought it last day of the month and got a really good deal
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It's been several years, but we bought two trailers from Western Campers in Fort Worth. Didn't have any issues with add-ons when it came time to sign. They were pleasant to deal with.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943
It's been several years, but we bought two trailers from Western Campers in Fort Worth. Didn't have any issues with add-ons when it came time to sign. They were pleasant to deal with.
Yea good folks in ft worth. , long way from my house ... We talk to them before we bought , but they could not give a lot on our trade in on the pop up ?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #9

We spoke to them before we bought our TT. The just could not put enough in our trade ( 2010 Coleman pop up bayside , and they were a Coleman dealer ? ...
Old 03-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Here's how to buy your trailer at the best price.

First of all, don't have a trade-in. Sell your old trailer on Craig's List or E-Bay or similar.

Decide on exactly the make and model and options of the new trailer you want to buy. Use the manufacturer's website to see the current floorplans and specs. and factory options.

Use Bing or Google or your favorite internet search engine and locate dealers for that brand of trailer, and check their current inventory. You'll probably find at least one dealer - probably somewhere in the Mid-West - that will have the trailer you want at a price you're willing to pay.

Copy the info (brand, model, options, price) and keep it in a manilla file folder. Then find that same trailer/options in your neck of the woods. Talk to that dealer, in person or via e-mail, and put all your cards on the table. Realize that he's going to add dealer packs, such as documentation fee and inventory tax, to your deal. Just make it clear how much you'll pay "out the door" including those dealer packs, but not including TT&L. Then ask how much is the TT&L.

That's what I did. Knowing our requirements, I determined that the SkyLine Nomad Joey model 196S was what we wanted. I found it at dealers near Chicago and in central Ohio for $12,220. I found the trailer at my nearby RV dealer, almost identical to the ones we found in the MidWest, with only a couple of inexpensive options added on. The dealer quickly agreed to sell it to me for $12,316 plus $50 documentation fee and $34.48 inventory tax and $889.75 TT&L. (Texas TT&L is high because of 6.25% sales tax).

So with the agreed-on price of $12,316, my out the door price was $13,290.23 including dealer packs and TT&L. I wasn't going to drive all the way to Ohio to tow my new trailer back to Texas for that tiny bit of difference in price.

My requirements included a real queen-size bed with walk around on three sides. Darling Wife refuses to crawl on the bed to make the bed, and I don't blame her. A shower/tub seperate from the comode, a decent-size closet, a dinette but no sofa, and a GVWR less than 6,000 pounds. The Skyline Nomad Joey 196S met all our requirements.
http://www.skylinerv.com/floorplans/196.gif

Note that Skyline makes that exact same trailer under at least 4 different brand names: Nomad Joey, Layton Joey, Aljo Joey and Mountain States Joey. They also have a very similar model in their Koala brand name.

Our Nomad Joey 196S with $584 worth of options, $450 destination charge, and $250 dealer prep had a total "sticker" price of $18,241.00. As noted above, my out the door price was $13,290.23 including dealer packs and TT&L.

We haven't towed it anywhere yet, other than home from the dealer and to the truckstop to weigh everything on a CAT scale. The CAT scale says the unloaded trailer with nothing filled but the propane tanks, Serta Eurotop mattress replacing the cheap stock mattress, and a small TV added weighs 3,620 pounds on the trailer axles. Plus my Sherline trailer tongue scale says the hitch weight is 650 pounds before you hook up the weight-distributing hitch. So the total actual "dry" weight is 4,130 pounds. GVWR is 5,600 pounds, so Darling Wife can load up to 1,470 pound worth of dishes, food, linens and clothes before the trailer is overloaded.

We couldn't find a floorplan that met our requirements in less than the 19.6' model, which is about 23' overall length (including hitch frame and coupler). Good luck in finding yours.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote