Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #1

Replace fresh water tank?

Is it common or even possible to add fresh water capacity by replacing the original tank with something larger?

If so, is it a DIY kind of job or something more for a professional?

If not, what are some economical ways to get more water in the tank without the proper hookups?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon, so increasing the capacity of the water tank could make your RV dangerously heavy. Most of us usually travel with tank at 1/2 or less to save weight. If your boondocking, a few(!) extra gallons of water could be distributed where you can most afford extra weight. (You never identified type of RV) Some people use a supplementary tote tank or bladder you could go and fill locally and return to campsite. A small 12 v pump, such as sold by harbor freight could transfer water from tote to the RV tank.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
TLI too little information. As already brought up there are alternatives to increasing water tank size. But depending on where the tank is and how big it is it may be possible to replace it with a larger one and if you travel with it mostly empty no real penalty in weight.
I came to the conclusion that having a couple of flexible five gallon water containers were the least expensive solutions.
One other consideration is that in most cases there is not a great deal of additional capacity in gray or black water tanks, so you also have to have a tank to dump into.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

It's a 25' Crossroads trailer with a 40 gallon fresh water tank. I like the idea of some collapsible water jugs that I can fill as needed. I guess I'm just concerned because I'm a new RV owner and I'm about to take a very long trip from Texas to Alaska with the wife and 4 kids and wanna make sure I'm prepared.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

TX to AK? We are also doing the same trip this year, leaving from Fort Worth area May 11, be gone til Sept 9 or thereabouts. Been planning for about a year and still feel we are not ready.
Hope you have a great trip--having the kids along will generate memories for a lifetime! Pictures--pictures--pictures...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgold
It's a 25' Crossroads trailer with a 40 gallon fresh water tank. I like the idea of some collapsible water jugs that I can fill as needed. I guess I'm just concerned because I'm a new RV owner and I'm about to take a very long trip from Texas to Alaska with the wife and 4 kids and wanna make sure I'm prepared.
I think you'll find water on the way. LOL.

But seriously, I always fill my fresh water before leaving anywhere. Lots of people will warn you about the weight, but that is a blanket statement and does not apply in all situations. If a full tank adds to the tongue weight and your TV can handle it, and you can teansfer some of it forward, go for it. The heavier your TV is relative to your TT, the better it will handle.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsbeatter

I think you'll find water on the way. LOL.

But seriously, I always fill my fresh water before leaving anywhere. Lots of people will warn you about the weight, but that is a blanket statement and does not apply in all situations. If a full tank adds to the tongue weight and your TV can handle it, and you can teansfer some of it forward, go for it. The heavier your TV is relative to your TT, the better it will handle.
Right on, Bobsbeatter,
We always fill before we go until last week. We are on our way from NC to AK. Big storm in Yorkton SK mudded upthe cg bigtime, so we dumped black and gray and figured we would wait til the next cg to fill fresh water.

Bad choice. Fortunately we had ten gallons (1/4 tank) fresh water still, because power was off because of same storm, no water for first 24 hours and then boil water warning after that. Be Prepared! Always fill the fresh water with good water when you can. We won't miss this item again.

Jim

Dreamstreamr is offline   Reply With Quote