Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Replace with golf cart batteries?

From what I read, GC batteries last about twice the amp hours as normal
batteries in about the same space.

Would I need to change the charger from the existing one to a new charger?

What do you guys think about the Trojan brand?

Thanks,

Scott
samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #2

Scott: Trojan batteries are top of the food chain among many of the RVers. I use the T-105 battery (6v) and use two of them hooked in series to make my 12V requirement. Furthermore I have a second set (4 batteries total) with the send set hooked in parallel with set #1. Do you need a different charger...NOPE. Some of us have bought an improved charger to do some special deeper cycle charging...but do you need this...NOPE.

They do not double my old 12v battery bank in amp hours but they do add a significant amount more than I had.

The new Trojan batteries weigh 80 pounds each and are taller than my old batteries.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
Scott: Trojan batteries are top of the food chain among many of the RVers. I use the T-105 battery (6v) and use two of them hooked in series to make my 12V requirement. Furthermore I have a second set (4 batteries total) with the send set hooked in parallel with set #1. Do you need a different charger...NOPE. Some of us have bought an improved charger to do some special deeper cycle charging...but do you need this...NOPE.

They do not double my old 12v battery bank in amp hours but they do add a significant amount more than I had.

The new Trojan batteries weigh 80 pounds each and are taller than my old batteries.
X2.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam95124 View Post
From what I read, GC batteries last about twice the amp hours as normal batteries in about the same space.
Scott
NO! You have totally misunderstood the data. The capacity of two 6 volt batteries is exactly same as the capacity of two 12 volt batteries.

With a 200 aH 6 volt golf cart battery, you will need two of them joined in series to produce 200 aH at 12 volts.

With 100 aH 12 volt batteries, you still need two of them joined in parallel to produce 200 aH at 12 volts.

No matter what; you still end up with 2 batteries of the same size: physically and electrically the same.

It's hard to beat Trojan batteries for RVs. Our were still doing quite well after 10 years; and the only reason we replaced them at that point, is to ensure adequate power during winter camping, where battery capacity is reduced to about 50% of summer capacity.

Our Winnebago came from the factory with 2 X 12 volt Trojan batteries, which is the preferred and appropriate configuration.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
NO! You have totally misunderstood the data. The capacity of two 6 volt batteries is exactly same as the capacity of two 12 volt batteries.

With a 200 aH 6 volt golf cart battery, you will need two of them joined in series to produce 200 aH at 12 volts.

With 100 aH 12 volt batteries, you still need two of them joined in parallel to produce 200 aH at 12 volts.

No matter what; you still end up with 2 batteries of the same size: physically and electrically the same.

It's hard to beat Trojan batteries for RVs. Our were still doing quite well after 10 years; and the only reason we replaced them at that point, is to ensure adequate power during winter camping, where battery capacity is reduced to about 50% of summer capacity.

Our Winnebago came from the factory with 2 X 12 volt Trojan batteries, which is the preferred and appropriate configuration.
So if I understand correctly, a GC-2 battery is only twice the AH of a same size normal battery because it is 6v? Ie., it gives you amps longer, because the voltage is lower
Old 09-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
So if I understand correctly, a GC-2 battery is only twice the AH of a same size normal battery because it is 6v? Ie., it gives you amps longer, because the voltage is lower
PS apparently I'm not the only one, see:

(TrailerLifeTV)
Old 09-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #7

Info. at modmyrv: http://http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/0...attery-upgrade

More info. here: http://http://www.batterystuff.com/k...-tutorial.html

Lot's of good info. in on AGM & GC batteries in various RV forums if you do a google, like this one: http://http://www.rv.net/forum/index...print/true.cfm

Lots to think about on batteries like cost, sealed or not, AH, physical size (group size), life expectancy, charging requirements, warranty and weight. All depends on what you want. If not dry camping, one 12V is fine and saves weight too. If you want to do extended dry camping, it's amp-hours you want. I like the idea of a sealed battery. You need to consider your battery charger if upgrading to an AGM type battery. Lifeline makes good batteries. Optima makes good ones too but I don't think in 6V.

The AGM/GC batteries are not cheap. One thing to watch is where you buy them from. If you find one at a discount price like Amazon or ebay, chances you won't get the 1 year factory warranty and only 30 days. Buy from an authorized dealer.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes. Trojan has all of the specs on their website; and you will note that 2 X 12 volt batteries of similar size actually have superior aH ratings.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #9

Quote:
PS apparently I'm not the only one, see:

(TrailerLifeTV)
These guys from Trailer Life are total idiots and SOOOOooo full of crap!!! Big surprize there!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post

These guys from Trailer Life are total idiots and SOOOOooo full of crap!!! Big surprize there!
Once they said you could solder the cable ends I knew they were pretty much RV hacks. That is absolutely a ad idea and where was the fuseabe link? :-/
KBolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #11

Just watched that vid. What a couple of boobs! I've often thought how useless advice is in their magazine but this vid takes the cake.

Besides the amp hours: Cutting torch inside confined space? No fire extinguisher handy? A cutting wheel would have been they to go. Spray painting without masking anything to prevent overspray? Never strip wire like that!! Never "ring" wire with a knife. Why demonstrate how to use a large crimper like that when the average RVer will never own one? Just go to a battery shop to get them made up. Why did they solder the ends of the wires? The terminals on the fuse holder with threaded set screw aren't designed for soldering the wire end like that. Why #4 ga. wire when the existing only looks like #8? The reason to keep the wire short is not because of cost like they said, but voltage drop. Soldering lugs??

Why did they cut the connectors off the ends of the existing battery cables only to crimp new ones back on that look the same? They said they were going to reconnect to the switch and ground bus.

Possibly the most important thing that might be wrong is venting. It looks like the original batteries may have been the sealed type but they installed open type batteries. I did not see a vent above the battery compartment so was it vented originally? It should have been regardless though. If not, the new batteries must be vented to prevent a dangerous buildup of hydrogen gas. If not done, an explosion can occur. They didn't even make mention of venting. Scary.

Oh joy. They have a bunch of other vids for amusement.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #12

Just completed this task last week. In my case, I went from a single, tongue mounted 12v battery to 2 GC2 6V Golf Cart batteries from SAM's Club (Energizer - cheapest I could find, $84.00 each). I had to order two 6V battery boxes (from Walmart online) and welded up a new battery tray to fit the new batteries. Be aware of the modifications, if required...
hazegray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, replace