Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Replacement for a too-small TT

Dee Dee and I are considering replacing our small Shadow Cruiser. It has been stellar as far as quality. It's just too small for our family... we now are grandparents. I have this narrowed down to about 3 brands and would like dome feedback on them.

We're interested in the Passport GT series 2650BH, the Surveyor SP 260, or possibly a Shadow Cruiser 260 BH model. Others that have interested us are North Trails and Spree.

First-hand experience, anyone?

J & D in windy Amarillo
2010 Shadow Cruiser 185 FBS
2011 F-150 Supercab 5.0...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
We're interested in the Passport GT series 2650BH, the Surveyor SP 260, or possibly a Shadow Cruiser 260 BH model. Others that have interested us are North Trails and Spree.
You never replied to my post in this thread: Pricing differential

Those three trailers you mentioned above all have one slide and a GVWR around 7,500 pounds. Depending on exactly which F-150 specs you have for a tow vehicle, I suspect you'll be overloaded with any of those three.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #3

We have a 2012 Jayco White Hawk 31DSLB and pull it with a 2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost that has a 3.55 rear end. Great combo. My 2 grandsons fit well in the bunkroom.

James
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #4

I have a spree (not a bunkhouse floor plan). I am pleased with the quality. I tow with a 2006 f150.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
SmokeyWren,

Does anyone ever tow at gross? If so... why? I had about 300# of stuff in the little one for a week-long model glider competition. I can't imagine needing much more than 500# even if both of us go.

J & D in windy Amarillo
Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SmokeyWren,

Does anyone ever tow at gross? If so... why?
Assuming you mean the GVWR of the trailer, my 5er had a GVWR of 7,900 pounds and I grossed about 7,900 gross trailer weight (6,650 trailer axle weight plus 1,250 pin weight) for about 100,000 miles of cross-country travel between 1999 and 2010. Because Darling Wife stocked the trailer with all sorts of pots and pans and dishes and food and drinks and linens and other stuff for long-distance travel. Plus extra power cords, water hoses, electrical plug converters, etc. And we often had a 5,000-watt generator on a luggage carrier on the back of the 5er for dry camping at Texas Motor Speedway. And during those 11 years of long-distance towing, I noted that most people in the campgrounds were loaded to the max also. But we usually hauled only enough fresh water to keep flush the pottie on the road, and we rarely had anything in the holding tanks.

I've been a camper since I bought my first camper trailer in 1968. My observation is that most folks have their camper trailer loaded to the gills by the third or fourth camping trip. And of course most full-timers have problem with overloading their trailer as well as their tow vehicle.

So use the GVWR of the trailer as the probable wet and loaded weight of the trailer, then hope you have enough sense to frequently weigh the rig on a CAT scale and not not overload the trailer or the tow vehicle.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
SmokeyWren,

Thanks for the advise. My truck is a Supercab with the 145" wheelbase. I am really a light traveller. When we go, we stock nothing but clothes and linnens. We do have a few pots and pans, but generally use paper plates, plasticware, and plastic cups. We buy groceries when we arrive at the destination and generally bring very little back. I've been out 3 times and my load hasn't grown.

We made a deal today for a Surveyor Select SV-264. The dealer has scales and says ready to deliver it weighs 5,026 pounds. Not a BH type I know but Dee Dee decided it's what we need... go figger... And, our daughter and son-in-law want our Shadow Cruiser.

Decision made... Thanks all!!!

J & D in windy, stormy Amarillo...
2012 Surveyor SV-264 & 2010 Shadow Cruiser 185 FBS
2011 Ford F-150
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #8

Congrats on the new TT. I hope you and your family have many happy trips together.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Don't forget to come back and report the CAT scale results in the middle of your third big camping trip. By then DeeDee should have it loaded to where she wants it.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:59 AM   #10

"SmokeyWren" aka "GVWR Nazi"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Don't forget to come back and report the CAT scale results in the middle of your third big camping trip. By then DeeDee should have it loaded to where she wants it.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #11

Quote:

First-hand experience, anyone?
We haul our BRS28 North Trail with a 150 Savannah van. No problems. The BRS28 would be ideal for an older couple with a few grandkids.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGeek View Post
"SmokeyWren" aka "GVWR Nazi"
Quality

While that truly was funny, he is actually right, you know...
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman

Quality

While that truly was funny, he is actually right, you know...
I think he's actually a little over the top, and a wise cracker on top of that. Just sayin...
Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
He's from West Texas... and I've always found a lot of wisdom out here. I believe his goal is to keep us enjoying our experiences... and yep, a bit of a wise cracker. That's part of why I think I'd like him... so am I...

Tags
replacement