Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #1

Replacing an awning

I would like a little advice on replacing an awning. I consider myself pretty handy with tools and it would seem this would be a rather simple task, but I have heard it can be a nightmare. So any thoughts? Should I attempt it or just let a rv shop take care of it.

2003 Skyline 303C 32ft TT
ffmd212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just replace mind,
I was informed the most dangerous part of the task, is to rewind the spring as it could take a finger off if it lets loose, I took my RV to CW and let them do it, but this was done last January.
the cost and installing was not a bad price, like you I would of rather done it myself.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are you talking about a patio awning or a slide out awning? The slide out awning is quite simple if you have another person to help.

Here's a link for replacement of a slide out & patio awnings.

Dave

RV Slide Out Awnings, Replacement Fabric
Old 03-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced my awning last summer. My wife assisted me. You will need 2 ladders tall enough so you can comfortably & safely reach the top rail where the fabric runs threw at the roof line. This is not a hard task & if you follow the directions that come with the awning you will have no problems. I also have installed slide awnings where there never was any to begin with. Just as easy as replacing one with just a little more work involved. Do a search for replacing an rv awning & you will find several tech writeups. This link is a good one,
How to Change an RV Awning | eHow.com
You will need 2 people to complete this task.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #5

It is a patio awning, that rolls up to the top of the camper. It looks like to the portion attached to the camper is in a slide and has screws holding it in place. On the roller side it looks like it is slide into a receiver groove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	9028  

Old 03-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #6

You will find the OEM installation manuals here, under "tents-awnings" Aero-Rv.com - Aerolite Ultra Lite RV Travel Trailer and Expandable Hybrid Campers
When you have 3 people it is quite easy; eliminates running up/down a ladder many times
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #7

I also need to have my awning replaced. I found that the best prices were from J.C. Whitney. I was going to attempt the replacement myself, but after talking to a friend who did his own, I decided to have a local RV dealer do it. My trailer is a 1995 and I was told that the torsion spring in the older RVs lose some of their "torsion". If you do not compensate for the loss, the awning will not roll up evenly. Basically what I was told is that one side may roll up faster or slower than the other side. Also, if the dealer damages the awning during installation, it's their issue to replace the fabric. I researched this extensively and believe that it is not too difficult to replace the awning "if" everything goes as planned. Due to the age of my trailer and the awning tube, I decided to let the dealer perform the replacement. The fabric was $251.00 from Dometic/AE for a 14' piece and two hours labor to install. Again, my trailer is 16 years old and that was a major factor in my decision. I'm certain that a newer awning may not be potentially as difficult a job. Just my humble opinion. Hope this helps in your decision.
Larry
Old 03-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #8

I just did mine in my patio but I had my son help me. The hardest part is drilling out the rivets and winding up the springs. Once that was done actually replacing the fabric took 3 people on a 17 foot awning and two ladders.. I bought my fabric off ebay for 90 dollars. Looks better then the original.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been shopping for the fabric. I found a 17 footer for 227.00 is that a good price?? Plus I was looking on you tube for a "how to" video, and could not find one. That scares me!!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
That looks like a reasonable price to me.

I replaced the awning on my former 22-foot travel trailer a couple of years ago. It took two people to remove and replace the awning assembly on the trailer. I did everything else by myself.

The new fabric came with explicit instructions. Just follow them and you'll have no trouble. I think I had to stick a pin in something to prevent the spring from unwinding. The instructions covered how to do that.

KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote