Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I know it will be a job, but am thinking about replacing the caulk on all my rubber roof vents with Eternabond tape. Has anyone done this and if so, any pitfalls/problems to look out for?
My reason for doing so is that no matter how often u check/repair the caulk, there still seems to be a leak somewhere.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I know it will be a job, but am thinking about replacing the caulk on all my rubber roof vents with Eternabond tape. Has anyone done this and if so, any pitfalls/problems to look out for?
My reason for doing so is that no matter how often u check/repair the caulk, there still seems to be a leak somewhere.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:03 AM   #3

It should work. Most important tho, to clean, clean, clean. That'll be the hardest part I think.

Also, Eternabond isn't cheap, you know that, right?

But I guess thats all relative to the cost of leaks, huh?

'01 34'Carri-Lite, 5ver
h2guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:38 AM   #4

Have a look here: http://www.pbase.com/jzk/roof_repair
Old 08-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Dex

I know that this is an old thread about using Eternabond, but thought I'd ask on it anyway.
After washing my 07 Orbit, I found cracks in some caulking around the skylight. As far as I know there aren't any leaks...yet.
Does all that caulking have to be removed or can I just put new regular tube caulk in and around the cracks?
But that Eternabond caulk looks as if it does a good clean job! Great work Jiml!!

2004 F250 5.4 ltr, 4x4, white, reg cab, long wheelbase.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dex:
...Does all that caulking have to be removed or can I just put new caulk in and around the cracks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dex, in my opinion, the best advice is just 2 postings above yours, "Most important tho, to clean, clean, clean." Then re-caulk. If it is currently cracking, I don't think you can trust it... it is drying out and should be replaced.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Dex

Well I guess since it's that big of an issue I had better see if it's covered under my 1 yr warranty.
I could do it myself with no problem, buy why should I if it's covered and the pros can do it for free.
I've got a few other minor issues that I've got to get the dealer to look at anyway.
Thanks!!

2004 F250 5.4 ltr, 4x4, white, reg cab, long wheelbase.
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dex:
Well I guess since it's that big of an issue I had better see if it's covered under my 1 yr warranty.
I could do it myself with no problem, buy why should I if it's covered and the pros can do it for free.
I've got a few other minor issues that I've got to get the dealer to look at anyway.
Thanks!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I originally started this thread about 2 yrs ago, we owned a 5ver that had started to leak around the roof vent(s) caulking. Another case of quality work by the RV industry(Forest River .
What I ended up doing was remove the old caulk by directing the low heat setting from a heatgun onto the blade of a small putty knife and carefully scraped the old caulk off. After cleaning the area(s), I applied the Eternabond tape using a small roller to apply pressure. It ain't gonna come off vey easy after it's applied. I found the best price for the tape and a small roller to be from this company in the below link. Their shipping was also very prompt. I bought the 4 inch X 50 ft roll for around 45-$50 and the small wooden roller for 8-$12. It's not really that bad of a job once u see the results.
http://bestmaterials.com/roof_repair.aspx

I just checked at the IRV2 website and their 4inch X 50ft roll is a little cheaper @$43.13 + shipping. Go to their website http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....S&Category=225 and do a search for PN RSW-4-50C. They also have a 25ft roll for $30.11(PN RSW-4-25C). Don't know if they have the small roller but you could probably find that a Lowes/Home Depot.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:12 AM   #9

I prefer to use liquid [white] rubber
easy to use, and always fixed my leaks.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:52 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
I used a product from Nashua Tape Products called Waterproofing Repair Tape. You can apply it to wet surfaces and even under water. Used it on our fivers roof last year and just checked it the other day. It looked like I had just put it on. It has withstood all weather summer and winter (minus 8 below)to 100 in summer. They carry it at WallWorld in the plumbing isle, and its about 5 bucks for a a 2 inch by 10 yard roll. Real easy to apply.

2003 Carriage CW362 5th Wheel
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:25 AM   #11

On Jiml's link , what is the white final coating that they applyed over the entire roof after the tapeing?
GSP7 is offline   Reply With Quote