Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gonna be out there somewhere
Posts: 105
Replacing mattress with air mattress

Hi All,

Wife and I are having kinda disagreement. I want to replace the original mattress with a air mattress. She thinks that there will not be enough room for me to get by if I had to, (have to have feet on the floor) without getting hurt. Me? I'm not worried about it, I'd crawl out of bed to hit the door.

The only thing that she is Really worried about is the size of our air mattress, width wise it will fit no problem. Length wise is about 4"-6" too long, but am willing to build a bed extension to make it up. Height is the biggie. Will have to definately blow it up to get a height dimension and compare it to what we have now with a 1-1/2" egg shell memory pad and another 1-1/2" memory pad on top of that.

So, with all that being said, has anybody else done this? Does it work? Is it too tall for "extra curriculiar" activity so we don't bump head on the curved inside?

Hey, Thanks a bunch!
__________________

__________________
Bruce And Sheila
'06 Ford Superduty F250 6.0 cc 8' 3.73 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro 2014 Flex by Augusta
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Nowhere, now here. Freedom!
Posts: 2,798
If you get any air mattress, deflate it before travelling.
__________________

__________________
ORV 19B Full Timer, '14 Ram 2500 Diesel and a GSD. This signature updated, May 1, '17.
Currently working in Spokane WA de K7NOL 146.52Mhz Safety? (CLICK ME!)
1bigmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
If you get any air mattress, deflate it before travelling.
Curious as to why?
__________________
jwall62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
FaithBowls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 421
Because when you change elevation the air pressure changes and you'll pop it. Plus air mattresses leak no matter what they claim and they're uncomfortable and hot to sleep on. What's wrong with a good old Sealy?
__________________
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
egwilly's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: So Calif
Posts: 253
LOL! Put a bag of potato chips in the RV, drive to 5000 feet elevation, then look at the bag......looks like a poofy pillow! Yes, the bed will pop if you don't deflate it, or stress the seams to the point they leak. Not worth it in the long run.
__________________
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26RLS
2014 Ford F350 Superduty 6.7 Diesel.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
TheMatrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
Hi All,

Wife and I are having kinda disagreement. I want to replace the original mattress with a air mattress. She thinks that there will not be enough room for me to get by if I had to, (have to have feet on the floor) without getting hurt. Me? I'm not worried about it, I'd crawl out of bed to hit the door.

The only thing that she is Really worried about is the size of our air mattress, width wise it will fit no problem. Length wise is about 4"-6" too long, but am willing to build a bed extension to make it up. Height is the biggie. Will have to definately blow it up to get a height dimension and compare it to what we have now with a 1-1/2" egg shell memory pad and another 1-1/2" memory pad on top of that.

So, with all that being said, has anybody else done this? Does it work? Is it too tall for "extra curriculiar" activity so we don't bump head on the curved inside?

Hey, Thanks a bunch!
I don't understand why you would want to go to an air mattress. Over time you will develop back aches and body aches with an air mattress. I am unsure if you full time or use the TT a lot. You will regret it in my opinion. You may want to look into a quality sponge matress that yiu cab cut to a specific size and then cover with a memory foam topper.

For the level of comfort, there is nothing better than getting a standard mattress and putting a memory foam topper on it, something like the costco one. I can't believe how comfy it actually is. It rivals our home bed (almost)
__________________
___________________
2016 Lance 1995
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn (Custom)
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Because when you change elevation the air pressure changes and you'll pop it. Plus air mattresses leak no matter what they claim and they're uncomfortable and hot to sleep on. What's wrong with a good old Sealy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
LOL! Put a bag of potato chips in the RV, drive to 5000 feet elevation, then look at the bag......looks like a poofy pillow! Yes, the bed will pop if you don't deflate it, or stress the seams to the point they leak. Not worth it in the long run.
Ah, I'm a flatlander so that never even came to mind. Good tip.
__________________
jwall62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Skyline Owners Group
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Garden city Mi
Posts: 108
Hey we went with a Walmart online spa sensations 8" thick memory foam topper for the whole replacement of the mattress and could not be happier


Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
__________________
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #9
RPr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 157
The DW and I bought a memory foam egg carton type mattress top. We had to trim it to size.

We started with a thick sleeping bag as a pad but it was simply not enough. We added the foam pad and it works fine.
__________________

__________________
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing a foam mattress with an air mattress for a hide a bed wargle 5th Wheel Discussion 4 05-29-2015 12:28 PM
Pull Out Sofa Mattress Needs Replacing cmpstp Class A Motorhome Discussions 8 01-27-2014 05:05 PM
Replacing a 58" sofa bed mattress johnnysfun Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 10-01-2012 05:44 PM
Replacing Queen mattress donschager Class A Motorhome Discussions 25 05-19-2012 07:54 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.