Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #1

Replacing OEM TV Aantenna

Have had our 2015 Forrest River Grey Wolf for about a year now, it appears to have a Wineguard RoadStar antenna on it. Well, it does not work anywhere near as well as the old Sensar antenna that was on our ooooold TT.

I'm going to replace it !!! Should i go with a new Sensar, or is there something better out there ??? I don't want any satellite dish !

Thanks Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #2

The New Winegard Sensars are about as good as it gets for OTA tv.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Should i go with a new Sensar, or is there something better out there ???

Thanks Jim
Yes, No

You have a 35 mile antenna now. The batwing is rated at 55 miles.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hard to beat the Winegard with the Wingman attachment. Here is an example from Camping World. You can probably find it cheaper from other sources.

Winegard Sensar IV DTV/HDTV Antenna - Winegard RVW-395 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #5

Just went through that with my 2016 Forest River Wildwood. I replaced the omni directional antenna with a Wineguard that came with the wingman already on it. Make sure you have plenty of self leveling sealer. I also needed a crank handle extension because the ceiling is over 5 inches from the roof. I had to move it to get clearance from the AC when down. I used the wall switch that was already in the camper and it works fine. I get 13 channels which is what I got with previous campers. I got nothing with the factory antenna. The antenna was $112.00 from Amazon. The roof adapter was $8.00 if bought at the same time.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
The New Winegard Sensars are about as good as it gets for OTA tv.
There have been some forum members do lab type tests (Actual electronics lab was used) and the result was that the above statement is off by one word.. Delete the word "About" to make it dead on.

As for the Roadstar (If memory serves that is the "Flying Saucer" design) it is about the WORST.. Just so you know.

Go with a SENSAR IV (the latest) and I'd go with the SENSAR PRO inside the RV. ... Or to be more precise.. I'm looking at a SENSAR PRO (installed) As I type this.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Have had our 2015 Forrest River Grey Wolf for about a year now, it appears to have a Wineguard RoadStar antenna on it. Well, it does not work anywhere near as well as the old Sensar antenna that was on our ooooold TT.

I'm going to replace it !!! Should i go with a new Sensar, or is there something better out there ??? I don't want any satellite dish !

Thanks Jim
BTW, our campers are close in age and both from Forest River. If you don't see a name on the antenna it probably is a Continu.us brand. I found a tag on the bottom after I got it off. Just FYI.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #8

Does the King Jack compare to the Sensor, WA8Y?
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #9

I replaced my Wineguard with a King Jack and it works awesome. It seems to have a much larger receiving angle so you don't have to move it much to pickup distance stations.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #10

Is the button pushed for your signal booster...right above the TV on the ceiling?

Come to think of it my Gray Wolf only picked up 3-4 stations at my farm where my new hauler with the crank up bat wing picks up 37 stations...and it's not even up.

And thinking a little more I don't think I turned my booster back on when I took it out and set up for hunting season...hell I might be able to get the discovery channel.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna