Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

replacing rotted floor

We have a 2001 Rockwood 26' tt that has a bad floor. Caused by a water leak next to the slide (crack in side wall). Have removed part of the floor and am needing advice as to how best to do the repair.
Thanks
rockwood2001

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood2001 View Post
We have a 2001 Rockwood 26' tt that has a bad floor. Caused by a water leak next to the slide (crack in side wall). Have removed part of the floor and am needing advice as to how best to do the repair.
Thanks
rockwood2001
Well you certainly want to remove all rotted wood. Wood that is still good, but was wet, I would treat with a 50/50 mix of water and bleach to kill any black mold and to prevent any new formation. As far as replacement of wood, you certainly want to use same thickness and quality. You need to be aware of where the floor supports are (which would be the main frame, but could have smaller ones too) for the replacement. In other words, you don't want to cut a section out then have nothing to support it or attach it to. So basically if you have a bad part on 4x8 ft section, you will probably have to replace the whole section. This will be more apparent when you get into it.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

well I think if he need to replace a section that doesn't have support he can do it..just take some half or three qtr ply and screw it to the existing floor with half hanging out and then install the piece you cut out and screw it to the pieces you put in..
Old 06-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

I take it back as far as needed. If under slide, remove slide if needed.
Dig out rotted wood from under floors. Then, if you stopped where there's no stud to put your seam at, go until there is a stud or add a stud connected to other studs.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
can you post a photo of the affected area? if you can't post it here- send me the photo so I can help you with this
ernietex at yahoo
Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #6

I have an Allegro Bay that sat out in the weather for some time before I bought it. I now find heavy water damage of the floor under the kitchen sink and some small damage around the pantry and one wall. I have ripped out the OSB board and the insulation in the heavily damaged areas. I will have to add some floor framing as I cannot go all the way to the existing framing. In the smaller areas where there will be no foot traffic I was wondering if I can remove the bad OSB and then use floor leveling compound to repair the damage and level the floor. Any help appreciated.

Herb
Old 07-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Here is the water damage I found in our Palomino Pop Up.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%214073

and here is the repair.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%214082

Good luck

Dick
Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Dick, you made a great repair where the black mold and rot was.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Dick, you made a great repair where the black mold and rot was.
Thanks! I had the same thing "beenthere" mentioned and did exactly what he suggested. I reinforced the added piece with Tight-Bond II and screwed it to the remaining floor. This left about 2" under lap for the repair piece to rest on and then I glued and screwed that to the added support. The first picture in the second link shows the added support on the right side of the hole.

It made a really strong joint. My repair was pretty small and had a good bit of support on three sides so I could get away with that method.

Dick
Old 07-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #10

Thanks, Dick,

Looks like you are quite handy. I see you could get under the wall sections from underneath. I cannot do that on this Allegro Bay, plus the wall section I need to get under is an interior wall. I would have to remove that section to replace the floor underneath. I will also have to weld floor support on the center sections I removed before replacing that subfloor. I am not that so handy and wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #11

Cut the particle board (I assume ) thAt is in the camper halfway on the floor joists (although in mine the floor joists are 2x2, nothing like you have in your house)

If you can't get it cut half way then "scab" onto the floor joist by screwing another 2x to it.

To be safe a lot of times I just varnish the old floor where I think there might be a chance for odors/moldy smell.

Plop down your new plywood and screen it down to the floor joists.

Fix that leak if you haven't already
Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #12

If you need to put in 2xs cross ways between floor joists you can you joist hangers to attach the new 2x to the old. Toenailing in small stuff is hard to do.

As far as the wall just cut your plywood under the wall if all else fails but make sure you support the splice in above mentioned fashion

I live in northeast missouri and sometimes buy fixer uppers. But wood rot is one of the worst enemies.