Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-09-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
Repo'd travel trailers

Has anyone ever looked into buying or shopping for repo'd trailers?

Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Jayco Owners Club
I bought a repo'd van once... and while I got it about a year old, with 19K miles on it, I soon discovered that folks that don't pay for things don't take care of their maintenance, either. the oil hadn't been checked or changed since it was driven off the lot. It was like a 90W gear oil. I got a great deal on it... or so I thought... When the left head cracked, I was told that I was on my own and the warranty wouldn't cover it, due to lack of maintenance. I had paid $100- to get the warranty transferred... and I never got that back, either.

RVs could be different, I guess, if there is no drive train. However, most would probably be repo'd after the warranty period is over, so that wouldn't likely come into play for 5ers or TTs. I've thought about looking into that. I'm handy enough to fix anything that's wrong, usually...

Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Schrederman... That is very nearly exactly what I was going to say.

Folks who can not pay the loan, can not pay the maintenance either.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:32 PM   #4
Everything needs a prebuy check but there is a dirth of information available on just where to find repo'd TTs. Tgere's got to more than a few out there. Where are they?

BTW a friend of mine built the flyin home airpark just outside Weatherford,
At the time it was called Tailspin Airpark.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, I spent considerable time looking for repo'd RV's, but man is it difficult! Wasn't able to find a websites that specialized in those. Even tried several banks to no avail.
2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L
2014 Outdoors RV Black Rock 26BHS
Beautiful, Bountiful Oregon.
hogwyld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Going on my fifth summer in a repo class A. Not one problem worth writing about. Got a good price and used the repo as a negotiation point from a dealer who specializing in used rigs.

About the biggest repo site I've found is CrankyApe.com - Online RV, Camper and Travel Trailer Auctions.

One word of advise don't buy without inspecting, in person. Kind of hard to do with Cranky Ape since it's an action site.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #7
I purchased a TT from Crankyape about 3 years ago. We just bought a new jayco and sold our other unit. Got a good price, felt they gave a good listing of any issues (even minor ones) and got a good price. I would buy again from them if I wanted a used RV. As with anything you need to go check it out. You can't hook them up but they will tell you if everything worked or not. Also you can judge by the wear of the unit. We were very fortunate and never had an issue, even tho we travel 6 months at a time.

Cranky ape has I think 5 or 6 locations around the country. You can, and they encourage you to, go check the units out before bidding. We did.
Tom and Linda
Tundra Double Cab
Jayco 2015 27RLS
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
I got a good deal on a used Bounded some years ago. Motor and drive train were fine. Had "house" issues but they were related to shoddy construction rather than lack of maintenance.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
Never have purchased a repo, but got to watch a 40ft Class A DP get repoed from a campground in March. Sitting outside after breakfast and this huge tow truck shows up on the next row down. Stops checks the license and vin and he's off to work. Crawls under and disconnects the drive train, gets inside in 30 seconds or so, connects air hoses from his truck to release the MH brakes, goes back in and the jacks come up he hooks up and is ready to go. He gives the 30 or so people watching a wave and a smile--then the owners show up. Man who is less than half the size of the driver starts yelling and his wife pulls out a camera and starts taking pictures. The driver hands the man the repo paper work which he wads up and throws on the ground and finally the driver says that he is making af fool of himself in front of a lot of people and he stops yelling. The driver then gets back in his truck gives us all another wave and off he goes with th MH. I would bet any damage that unit suffered was because of the owners. The Repo man was competent, professional and very careful in all that he did. He handled the owner with patience and respect and sure gave me a new perspective on people who work in his profession.
NashTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #10

Wow... Thanks for sharing. Very interesting! I wonder how they knew where to find them?

Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote

travel, travel trailer