Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #1

Retire on the road

It took forever but we're taking the plunge. If I could, we would like to ask too many ?'s. First, can we get a 24 foot or so tt w/popouts. Is Keystone the best? Should we get a new one in Oct or Nov, or a good used one? That's it for now, our son is checking out diesels. Thanks for any help provided, RandnJo.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah, I think I've seen 24 footers with slides. Just a side note, 28 footers are not much longer, but the space is appreciated...

Keystone might not be at the top of my list.. but Jayco would, and I'd be highly interested to check out what Winnie has to offer. Either the instinct or the winnie.... Instinct | Floorplans | Winnebago RVs

The jayco jayflight 24RBS has a slide, and a nice layout!
2017 Jay Flight Travel Trailer Floorplans & Prices | Jayco, Inc.

I'd probably have a peek at the Lance trailers and Forest River too.

New is great... the well built trailers don't have a lot of out of the box issues, and the warranty is nice. I'm always a little suspect of traded in recent models... why did they trade it back in so soon?

However, if you can find a nice example of a used trailer, then I'm ok with this. You can tell honestly just by looking - but for my latest trailer, I went brand spanking new and haven't regretted it. I'm the first person to do everything in it, and I know all about it.

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #3

Keystone definitely is not the best. JMO but look at Jayco, Grand Design, Outdoor RV and Northwood MFG. They all have models that will fit your criteria. Also you really don't need a diesel truck for a 24' TT. Big waste of $$$$$. A properly equipped 1/2 ton would work. A gas 3/4 ton would be even better.
Jayco has a 2yr warranty. Grand Design has great customer service. Outdoor and Northwood build very solid, albeit not blingy TTs.
Any time is a good time to buy providing you can get 25-30% off MSRP. NEVER pay MSRP. All RVs are grossly marked up. Here's a good link to get some pricing info.
Recreational Vehicles | See Dealer Cost
Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Yeah, I think I've seen 24 footers with slides. Just a side note, 28 footers are not much longer, but the space is appreciated...

Keystone might not be at the top of my list.. but Jayco would, and I'd be highly interested to check out what Winnie has to offer. Either the instinct or the winnie.... Instinct | Floorplans | Winnebago RVs

The jayco jayflight 24RBS has a slide, and a nice layout!
2017 Jay Flight Travel Trailer Floorplans & Prices | Jayco, Inc.

I'd probably have a peek at the Lance trailers and Forest River too.

New is great... the well built trailers don't have a lot of out of the box issues, and the warranty is nice. I'm always a little suspect of traded in recent models... why did they trade it back in so soon?

However, if you can find a nice example of a used trailer, then I'm ok with this. You can tell honestly just by looking - but for my latest trailer, I went brand spanking new and haven't regretted it. I'm the first person to do everything in it, and I know all about it.
Plasma800 x 2 !! 👍

I think TT'S have come a long way. If you get new look for LED lighting which will definitely reduce battery drain.

Jayco/Lance seem to be great quality. They were the final two manufacturers that I was left with. I finally went with a Lance. Both great.

Really do your homework as to WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO YOU. That is the quickest way to narrow down what your going to buy. Good luck.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

Retire on the road

I think you will find both positive and negative reviews of just about every RV. For example, when we were recently shopping for a new TT I read everything I could find about TTs in our price range and was primarily considering Keystone and Jayco. I read one item, written by a certified RV technician, that put Keystone as the top choice to buy and he was pretty negative on Jaycos. We also had a salesman say the thing thing, but we also read and had other salesmen recommend Jaycos over Keystone. We narrowed out top two choices down to a new Jayco and a new Keystone Bullet 269RLS and ended up buying the Bullet because it seemed to fit our criteria better. We have been very happy with it so far after three or four short outings, but will have a better feel for its dependability after our upcoming 30 day, 5,000 mile trip with it. At the end of the day you pick what's best for you and cross your fingers.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #6

3 plus years living 6 months a year in our 2013 Keystone Bullet --has never has been in the shop and (knock on wood) no problems. It's a crap shoot out there! Good luck!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
My wife and I had a Keystone Outback Terrain. Very nice rig. The towing wasn't for me. Took the Outback Terrain in for winterizing and came out with a Class A.

Best of luck to you on your upcoming retirement. May you have many years and trouble free miles.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:37 PM   #8

We've had our Keystone Passport Grand Touring for 6 months now and have about 6 trips under our belt. Not a single issue yet.
The Passport is nearly identical to the Bullet, both have the same floor plans and pretty much the same features and other than a few cosmetic and standard feature differences they are essentially the same thing, just like Chevy and GMC.
My wife and I did significant back and forth between the Passport and a nearly identical layout Jayco Jay Feather. There were pros and cons to each but nothing major. The floor in the Jay feather seemed flimsier (you could feel it give under step) but I liked the idea of the true walkable roof for cleaning and maintenance. The Passport had a full queen bed and the floor was sturdy. When we really got down to deciding we drove between the 2 dealers 4 times in the same day to try and get as best back-to-back comparison as we could.
We honestly could have flipped a coin and probably been just as happy with the outcome.
One thing that was steering me away initially from the Passport was the bad reputation that Keystone has been carrying. I did extensive research and investigating and seemed to find that most of the issues and complaints Keystone had been having were from 5-10 years ago and much of it with brands that they have since shed or dissolved.
I talked with several people in the repair industry who have no skin in either Jayco's or Keystone's business and they all tended to agree that Keystone seemed to have turned themselves around. I'm sure after years of bad rep they realized they needed to do something about it or start to lose significant market share.
When I searched for problems with either brand on newer units I honestly found about equal share of problems between Jayco and Keystone and nothing to draw any trends from.
I've spent some significant time in the last 6 months tinkering and customizing my camper to my liking and I've had very, very few "what were they thinking" thoughts and all have been about minor design issues, not flaws necessarily.
Find something you like, get a good deal, and if needed get an extended warranty to ease your mind, and enjoy life on the road!
Old 06-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #9

After looking around for years and doing a lot of reading and owning a keystone I put keystone and Jayco in the same category in terms of quality/build/features.
I would say anything from northwood mfg which includes arctic fox, desert fox and outdoorsRV. I hear good things about Lance.

Since you are full timing I would definitely go bigger. Something that has another seating area like a couch or chairs. You are living in it. They get cramped fast. I would personally also want a full size shower with glass enclosure. Lots of storage.
If I was full timing i'd have a huge 5th wheel or a Class A.

Our 24' keystone overloaded our previous half ton truck on tongue weight and was getting close on payload and made for some scary moments. We were dry camping so I had the added weight of a full water tank and additional gear in the bed of the truck and it was that that finally put us over. Truck hit a dip in the road which caused the front end to come up and I lost steering briefly.
After that I sold that truck and went with a 3/4 ton. So much better. It doesn't take much at all to overload a half ton truck. And since your full timing I would for sure buy more truck than you need.

Trailers make changes mid model year. So my 2016 has two different versions, the first half and the 2nd half. A mid year 2016 is the same as the early year 2017 models. You'll see the new year changes around next January.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #10

For high quality the Grand Design has good floor plans. The Northwood and Outdoor units are really built well but you pay for it and I am not fond of the floor plans they offer. If you are doing a lot of towing get a gas 3/4 ton truck. I used to pull my 33" Keystone with my 1/2 RAM 1500 fairly well. The trailer weighs about 8200 going down the road. I now have a 2500 Mega cab with the 6.4 Hemi and the difference in towing is huge.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
RPr

The best advice I can give is to rent the TT you think you want. You will learn a lot very quickly.

Depending on your personalities a 25 ft may or may not be big enough. 10 days on the road will make for a good shake down.

If you are not familiar with TT ownership there is lot more upkeep then most folks expect, plus 10 mpg and 60 mph and 300mile days.

As for the original question, we opted for a 3 year old unit with the floor plan we liked.

Floor plan, tow vehicle and cost all have to be right for the correct purchase.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:16 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 24' trailer with a slide. We have used it for trips of 6 weeks or so, but it wouldn't suit us for full-timing. You really need storage space, and the smaller trailers just don't have it. As for a diesel truck with a 24', you don't _have_ to have one, but it sure makes life easier if you travel a lot or drive a lot of mountain roads. We do both, and found the Ram 2500 a huge improvement over the gas half ton we used to have.

As for brands, remember salesmen all say their brand is the best. Most owners will also say the brand they bought is the best. Take it all with a grain of salt. Decide on features you want (cold weather? sleeping capacity? big tanks for boondocking?), then pick a floor plan you like. Make sure you sit on the toilet; climb in the shower; imagine where your food, dishes, and pots will be; where your clothes will be; where will tools be, etc. Don't get rushed.

UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote