Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #1

Retirement TT Help !!

Hello All

Both the wife and i are very close to retirement and looking for a unit too last until we can no longer play, i fiquire 10-15 years ( Hopefully ),we like our current unit ( first purchase ) but i know there is a lot of rot in her and is not worth the continued repair, plus have a neighbor interested in buying it.

Here's the deal, we cannot afford a new unit that fits our need/wants , mainly rear living with recliners and equal access to tv/entertainment center, we found a close to perfect unit, meets our needs and towing capacity so we can use our current truck TV, a 2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT 29N .
Here's the questions,It has all aluminum framing/floor, so no rot, and i i know the roof is probably at the end of it's lifespan. Where would you go to have a new rubber roof installed ??? Dealer, privite shop, or worth the trip to factory ??
Are we correct in being all alum. frame and glass ext. means something that will last our days ????

Many Thanks All Jim & Pat

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Camping world wants around $6500.00 to do the job.

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #3

You would be way better off looking at fifth wheels or MH's of that era if looking for something that will last the next 10-15 years. I like TT"s too but they really don't make TT's with the heavy built quality they used to.

I see a lot of 04-07 keystone Montana, newmar country star, jayco designer, forest river cardinal/ cedar creek type trailers that would be a much better "last trailer" investment. Not trying to be rude as I cannot afford a new trailer either.

The trailers I mentioned above would actually be worth a major repair to keep them on the road years from now as they are built much better and hold value a bit better. Most of the TT I have seen just are not built well enough to try to hold onto when they are two decades old.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Need more info. Are you going to full-time travel, snow-bird in winter, set it up in a residential type park, cold or warm climates, rainy or dry climates? All of this matters a great deal for you selection. Generally heating, cooling and freeze proofing and insulation are poor in TT's. Also, even on aluminium frame rigs, the walls, roof and floor are wood and that's where the rot appears from water leaks.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #5

Not going full timer, at the most,maybe some park hosting for a few months at a time.I'm sure we will be using it much more oftenafter retirement.
Jim & Pat
Old 10-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #6

I'm also sure you are correct about the fiver , but if a new TT is not in the budget a Fiver and a new truck to pull it is way out there !!!!

Jim & Pat
Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #7

Frankly, if I were in your position, I would look for a lightly used, fairly new 27FB Airstream. They are very well-built & made to last. I truly can't think of a conventional RV that would last 10-15 years without some problems.
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
I'm also sure you are correct about the fiver , but if a new TT is not in the budget a Fiver and a new truck to pull it is way out there !!!!

Jim & Pat
As side from the truck aspect there are a lot of used older high quality fifth wheels out there for very reasonable prices sometimes cheaper because the average person doesn't have a truck to pull or doesn't want or understand a fifth wheel hitch in there truck bed.

Again Im not one of those guys trying to convince you a fifth wheel is the only way (I don't even have one at the moment), but I have seen some really good deals on them for someone who is able and willing to pull one. A guy had a 2004 thor citation 36ft fiver for sale around here for $5900 and no it wasn't rotten. Was a bank repo and in good shape I wanted to trade my trailer for it. Same with a gas MH. If you were to replace both trailer and TV a small gas MH would give you a bit more for the money.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

I know there are going to be problems to solve and maintenance to do, are current unit, 2000 Springdale 25rkls, our first TT , is full of rot ( you learn a lot from your first ) but i have it quite road worthy. I just want our next one so we don't have the structure rot away, so i guess an all alum. frame/floor, i know there's still wood in there. I don't mind maintence or upkeep, just something worth working on. Still learning about this alum/glass stuff.

Jim& Pat
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #10

I have a Northwood manufactured TT and their quality is much better than most. I would put them after Airstream mainly because the outer shell of the Airstream is superior to any other trailer. There is no argument on this fact. The Nash trailer that I have is certainly not the lightest you can find for the length but light and ultra light trailers will not hold up as well as better constructed trailers will and these trailers weigh more.
The life of a rubber roof should be at least 20 years with yearly maintenance.
I would stay away from slides if I could. There are two types of slides, those that leak immediately and those that leak later. Slides will malfunction and it usually happens at the worst possible time. They have gotten better but I can live without them. I wonder why Airstream dropped their slides? Too many issues.
I was just down at the Oregon coast and there was a 1972 Silver Streak 30' trailer that was in exceptional condition. I could live in that happily for the rest of my life. Not too many issues with a trailer constructed like an Airstream.
If you went with a 5th wheel you would have the same issues as any trailer, they are no better because they are built the same.
Good luck with your search and I hope you find what you want. The trailer is out there, you will just need to keep searching until you come across it. Find a quality brand that you like, select a model and then look for it. Remember that the major manufacturers sell a lot of product because they cut costs and quality so people can afford them. That's the beauty of buying used, you can find a unit that is better for less money and it will last longer than the new cheap units.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 AM   #11

09harley, we have a Nash too & love it. We went with a slide to give us more room but would love to trade up to an Airstream one of these days. We were just on the Washington coast & were surprised to see 2 Airstreams in the state park. One would be unusual--2 was incredible!
Safe travels!
JimnDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #12

I spent a month traveling the west coast of your fair State. Went up to Blaine and back, stopped at 10 different sites, 3 nights each. Gave my wife and I great exposure to wonderful small communities and and areas where we will go to in the future for longer stays. We didn't have one drop of rain in 30 days. Pretty unusual considering I've lived in the NW for over 60 years.
Gotta love those Nash trailers!
Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #13

Coastal Campers
Our first trailer was a 2005 Jayco JayFeather LTG 29N like the one you are looking at. We bought it second hand when it was like three years old and used it for four years before we traded up to our present unit. We choose the Jayco because, like you, we like the rear living room floorplan and the 29N was about as big as we could haul with the van we had at the time. Overall, I think the 29N is a nice size trailer for its weight. Jayco's ultralight construction has its advantages and disadvantages. The torsion axles and 14" tires set up "into the cabin" and totally enclosed underbelly gives a aerodynamic advantage, and make it easy to climb in and out because there is only one step up. The downside is that the trailer is very low to the ground, so the tail end can drag on steep driveways or other uneven ground, it is difficult to get underneath for inspection, and the sewer outlet is exposed and only like 8" off the ground, making hookup to some sewers difficult. In addition, the 14" tires on that big of a trailer probably should be load range D, and choices of that size and load range are very limited. In order to keep the forward profile short, the ceiling is quite low and I, at 6'2" sort of felt closed in - in the shower, my head was actually up into the skylight. The roof is dead flat with the roofing material only being wrapped slightly over the edges. It tends to pond a slight amount of water, which isn't a problem as long as the roof is in good shape. The roof is not the most sturdy in the world, and at 250 lbs. I was not totally comfortable walking on it. The walls and roof are constructed similarly - square aluminum tubing framing with blocks of foam between the framework, sandwiched with fiberglass/plywood on the outside (plywood and sheet roofing on the roof), and vinyl wallcovering/plywood on the inside. If water was to get in, the plywood would delaminate quickly, and repairs might be difficult. The floor is a plywood/foam/plywood laminate which has some give to it, and formed slight depressions where some stood all the time, like in front of the sink. Other disadvantages of the lightweight construction are sparse storage space (for instance very few drawers) and no rear bumper or accessory hitch.

While the Jayco suited us well for weekends and occasional week or two vacations, it turned out we wanted more as retirement got closer. We first got a better van with a 10,000 towing capacity, then looked for larger rear living rooms. We wanted 15" or 16" tires for better replacement selections and to get the trailer higher off the ground, larger slides for more interior room - especially in the bedroom, a table and chairs in lieu of a dinette. We also wanted a bathroom with a real shower stall and room to actually sit on the throne with the door shut. We also wanted a sturdy rear bumper for storage of the spare tire and a sturdy accessory hitch for a storage rack. A sturdy arched roof with plenty of interior headroom was also desirable. We wanted plenty drawers and other storage space. We found it with the slightly used Keystone Outback 277RL that grosses out around 8600 pounds, and suits us perfectly.

During the upgrade process, we generated a list of late models that sport a rear living room. It is an excel spreadsheet that I would be happy to send you if you private message me your email.

Hope this is of some help.

WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote