Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #1

returning home in cold weather

We will be going to Tucson during the Thanksgiving weekend. My question is how cold is too cold during the return trip home (Northern New Mexico?) Do you winterize before you get home? Open the low point drains/water heater & let them drain on the way home, then plug in the trailer upon returning home as it will be a day or two before I can winterize, what are your thoughts on this subject?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #2

Personally, I would winterize before I left Tucson. Why take a chance when this time of year anything can happen? Last year I drove Tucson to Albuquerque in one day so depending on where your going you won't be doing without for long. Right?

Old 10-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
With a trailer, unless I needed all plumbing enroute I probably would winterize BEFORE leaving Tucson. And then if we would need the black tank facilities while traveling, I would carry jugs of water for flushing and then drain the black tank when I got home. How cold is too cold while driving and un-winterized depends on the rig ...if all the plumbing, dump valves, etc are ENCLOSED in the trailer, and the sun is shining, I probably wouldn't worry about not being winterized if traveling in daylight. On many rigs, running the LP furnace even on a very low temp would keep the tanks from freezing.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #4

Winterize before leaving Tucson and no worries, but that eliminates it for potty stops on the way home. If you wait til home, just turn the furnace on its lowest setting, be sure the batteries are up and the propane full, and it should be fine on the way back. I traveled in N AZ to UT 2 years ago in 7-10d weather and did fine. But run out of propane or battery power and you are in trouble...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #5

We just did the same trip over Thanksgiving, came back from Tucson to Rio Rancho. Was wondering all the same about freezing enroute. Decided to risk it and blew out the lines when we got home.

When we did get home I could not drain the hot water heater, didn't have the right size socket. Anyways was wondering about running the hot water heater to keep it from freezing over night. Would that be ok? I was thinking I might cook all the water out of it since no new water would be coming into it..

Thanks
Greg
Old 12-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnman View Post
When we did get home I could not drain the hot water heater, didn't have the right size socket.
I bought some nylon fittings and installed a hose bib so I can drain the hot water tank by opening the valve. I can take a picture and post it if you are interested.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
I bought some nylon fittings and installed a hose bib so I can drain the hot water tank by opening the valve. I can take a picture and post it if you are interested.

Pictures would be great if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks
Greg
Old 12-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I took the pics today, now to get them off the camera and on iRV2.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here are the best pics I could get.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #10

Excellent mod however some HWH do not have the standard drain plug but have an anrode rod installed which has to be removed to drain tank. (mine for instance) and yes keeping the HWH lighted will keep it from freezing. personally I would drain everything as suggested and carry water for use on the road (toilet/ washing/etc if tanks are heated. just run the furnace on low while on the road
Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine doesn't have the anode rod so I didn't have to worry about that.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #12

Thanks for the pics, but yea mine has the anoide rod as well. So going back to running the water heater when you aren't adding water to the system, like driving or just in the driveway, will the heat of the heater end up drying out the water in the water heater? I know it hold 6 gallons, I got some water out through the PRV but there was still some in the tank. Maybe 1-2 gallons.
Thanks
Greg
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #13
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Someone suggested using 'windshield wiper' fluid for the toilet after winterizing it if you absolutely need to use it.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnman View Post
Thanks for the pics, but yea mine has the anoide rod as well. So going back to running the water heater when you aren't adding water to the system, like driving or just in the driveway, will the heat of the heater end up drying out the water in the water heater? I know it hold 6 gallons, I got some water out through the PRV but there was still some in the tank. Maybe 1-2 gallons.
Thanks
Greg
I would not run the heater to boil out the remaining water. Just pull out the anode and let it air dry. Put back in before you use it.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote