Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Review of Keystone Cougar Travel Trailer

We've owned Airstream and Jayco travel trailers. Now considering Keystone Cougar. Anyone with advice, info please reply. This is a 2008 Keystone Cougar 29BH. We need the Bunkhouse floor plan. We are a recently retired couple. This TT would be towed very little. Mostly on site and used for 1-2 mo at the time and then towed to nearby uncovered storage for 2-3 mo when not in use. Location is Destin FL (North FL Panhandle area). We have no experience with Keystone brands. How does Keystone Cougar compare by quality of construction? It is fiberglass and welded aluminum. Thank you!
nperrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nperrine View Post
We've owned Airstream and Jayco travel trailers. Now considering Keystone Cougar. Anyone with advice, info please reply. This is a 2008 Keystone Cougar 29BH. We need the Bunkhouse floor plan. We are a recently retired couple. This TT would be towed very little. Mostly on site and used for 1-2 mo at the time and then towed to nearby uncovered storage for 2-3 mo when not in use. Location is Destin FL (North FL Panhandle area). We have no experience with Keystone brands. How does Keystone Cougar compare by quality of construction? It is fiberglass and welded aluminum. Thank you!
I have have a 24 ft. Cougar and it isgreat no problems at all.
Stevepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #3

One of my neighbors has a Cougar and as far as I know, they're completely happy with it. It remains onsite all the time (Bradenton, Fl) and they're usually here from late Aug til late April. They're from far up in Canada but both work for the park during the winter season. I did repair one problem for them. There was no backflow check valve where the cold water enters the WH. When the water got real hot, it caused both the toilet valve and kitchen faucet to drip. Putting the check valve in place cured that issue. I'll question them further and report back.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #4

Saw my neighbor while walking the dog. Their unit is an '09 Cougar and they are perfectly happy with it.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #5

Thanks Steve. We're looking at a 2008 bunkhouse 29. We've never worked with slide outs. Anything to be concerned about with this model and year?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #6

Hey that's great info. We're looking at a 2008 Bunkhouse 29 Cougar. Your feedback is reassuring since we have not owned Cougar or any model with slide out. My husband is handy and has worked with check valves before. Thanks for heads up. Nancy
Old 11-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #7

Ray thanks for quick feedback. Word of mouth works! That's just what I was hoping to hear, especially from someone who has a Cougar about that model year. Nancy
Old 11-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #8

Have had a Cougar Fifthwheel for last year and half and put a crap load of miles on it, no major issues and quite pleased with it.

Here is a forum for Keystone owners, maybe do a search there for your model and see what's said about it.

Keystone RV Forums

Cheers Ray
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #9

While my TT is a Springdale not the Cougar they are very similar in design and layouts.

About the slideouts, when we bought our 2011 this past may it came with a set of support stands for the slide out, I asked on forums and even called Keystone customer support to ask about using them.

The answer is do not use the slide out supports, but if you have your TT on a site longterm you need to run the slide in and out every week or two to keep everything in working order.
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #10

I've owned three Keystone trailers and my latest is a 2012 Cougar 321RES. I have not had any major issues with any of my Keystone products.

Tags
travel