Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S

Does anyone have any experience with the Rockwood Mini Lite 2503S? My husband and I have been looking and debating on a travel trailer for almost a year. We thought we had decided on a Keystone Passport 2890RL but think it is a little heavy to pull with a Durango. It is also a little larger than I would like. We went to the camper show in Raleigh and saw the 2503S and liked the layout. I am claustrophobic, which limits me on floor plans but I felt very comfortable when I got into the TT. The extra room when the murphy bed is up was very nice. We had a few concerns, however. There doesn't appear to be an enclosed underbelly...is that a problem? We would hopefully be camping all year. Also the storage areas seem kind of small. The storage areas at the show were locked so we couldn't look into them but we are wondering if there is room for a couple lounge chairs and two exercise pens for our 4 Chihuahuas. I would appreciate any input, comments, recommendations...this has been a tough decision! Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

I can't speak to that trailer, but if you like it to feel roomy and still be towable by your Durango (depending of which Durango), check out the Winnebago 2351DKS. It's about the same size but has dual slides, so it's amazingly "big" inside.

Some of the other Minnie floorplans have fold up beds that turn into couches. Our 2301 has this and is very long inside and feels roomy with no slides.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #3

Thanks. That is indeed a roomy floor plan. When we started looking we looked at Mini Winnies and I really liked the looks and feel of them but if memory serves me right I think the deal breaker was the wide panel in front of the bed. When I stepped into the bedroom it seemed too closed in for me. I know it sounds crazy but I can tell within seconds if a floor plan is open enough for me. The Passports had a narrower panel in front of the bed which seemed to work. I wish there was a Mini Winnie with a different panel because I think they are lovely TTs. BTW our Durango is a 2004 5.8V8 Hemi with a Class IV hitch. I think it is rated to pull 8800 lbs. but from the research we have done, some say to figure 20% less and some say 10%. We would like to pull it in the mountains so we are looking for something no more than around 7000 GVW...does that sound about right? Thanks again for the response...I am always glad for advice because we didn't pull our other TTs except to drop them off at the campground where they were stored.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Can't speak either of the 2503S but we had a 2604SS with no issues. Weight was well within limits of our Dodge Dakota 4x4 with 3.92:1 gearing. This was out 2nd Rockwood product and really enjoyed both of them. I felt they were well build for their price point.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

Thank you. I am not sure what our gear ratio is (will have to check with hubby!) but am glad to know that you have been satisfied with the Rockwood products. I will check out your model and see how it compares with the 2503...thanks again!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsma View Post
When I stepped into the bedroom it seemed too closed in for me.
Doesn't sound crazy at all. Our's has the TV on the wall and is wide open inside. Most of the mid/small Minnies are like this, as is mine. The bed folds in half into a couch, even when "made". This looks messy, but it's the only picture I have:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	digi47410712.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	61698   Click image for larger version

Name:	digi47410688.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	61699  

Old 04-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

I didn't know about that...I will definitely revisit the floor plans and check it out! I like the idea of having a sofa and a dinette just for comfort's sake. Boy, I never realized what a difficult decision this was! I really appreciate the pictures!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

We have a 2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2109S. Pulling it with a F-150 1/2 ton V-6. Rockwoods are manufactured by Forest Rivers. Ours is a very solid TT easy to pull easy to maintain. We love this TT. Rockwoods have very open floorplans.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #9

Thank you. I looked at some pictures and it is a very open floor plan. I think we will put it on our list of ones to look at...the list just seems to keep on growing!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 AM   #10

Same here have Rockwood Minilite 2109s, 2012 yr. we love it. I started out towing it with 2013 Explorer rated to 5k. But ended up trading it in for F150 v6 Ecoboost pulls like a dream.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #11

Well, after much thinking, rethinking and overthinking (I am sure!) we finally decided to go with a Keystone Cougar X-Lite 25RET. We will pick it up in a couple of weeks and are looking forward to packing up the 4 "babies" and setting out on some new adventures! I am hoping that we made a good decision..the layout and size seem to fit our needs right now and I am sure that we will find some issues that we hadn't thought of but all in all, it seems like a good fit. Thanks for all the responses...I love this website! So helpful in all areas!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #12

Wow very nice looking unit. I am sure you will have fun traveling around. Just make sure you do some trips near home just in case you run into any issues. And are you going to still use the dodge to tow with.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #13

Try to look for other Passports or similar units with "super slide" which provides this roomy feeling. 2004 Durango is an old school SUV, Hemi is powerful on the paper, but reportedly peaky, unlike my MB's smooth and linear up to redline Six; transmission is the weakest point, direct gear is 3, so mountain towing will take place in 2. Lock 3 and higher gears manually and drive, you will realize what to expect in terms of rpms, noise and speed. Sway may be a problem, but it can be cured by Hensley or Propride. Towing capacity is for utility trailer with gravel only, not for TT with its aerodynamics
Old 05-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #14

Yes, we are still planning on using the Durango. Our drive home from the dealer will take several hours so that will give us a feel for how things will go. Most of our trips won't be great distances because we will only have weekends with the exception of a couple of weeks when hubby takes vacation (he isn't retired yet). Hopefully all will go well. It has been quite a few years since we owned a TT but we didn't seem to have any problems then and the weight is comparable to the other ones we owned. I will update the post in a couple of weeks. Thanks for responding!