Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Roof noise when it rains - is this a common issue?

I have a smaller rig, considered a light weight. It seems extremely noisy when it rains. so much so that it disturbs sleeping. Do the bigger rigs have this issue? My guess is its another of example cost cutting by the manufactures by not sound proofing the roof on the less expensive rigs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 07:27 PM   #2

It can be common on many models. It depends on how the roof is constructed. Most people seem to like the sound of the rain on the roof.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I have a smaller rig, considered a light weight. It seems extremely noisy when it rains. so much so that it disturbs sleeping. Do the bigger rigs have this issue? My guess is its another of example cost cutting by the manufactures by not sound proofing the roof on the less expensive rigs.
You are a good guesser.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I love the sound of rain on a roof. Unfortunately, my DS is so well insulated that I can't hear it except on the fan covers or skylight. I may hear it if the sky has opened up. That's about it. The sound of rain puts me to sleep.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I have a smaller rig, considered a light weight. It seems extremely noisy when it rains.
The first fact is the likely cause of the second. That light weight has to be designed *out* of the things you might have wanted, like thicker walls, heavier duty construction, better insulation and therefore soundproofing, etc.

When the rain bothers me, I put earplugs in and make sure my alarm clock is gonna be loud enough to wake me up. For someone my age, I still have pretty good hearing, so there are a few things about full time RV living that I can very easily allow to annoy me, or I can find ways to manage them, like ear plugs. As long as I am dry and comfortable inside, I can find a way to manage the other things.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #6

I don't hear anything when I sleep. Earplugs.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #7

Well, they are travel trailers and you chose a lightweight inexpensive model over a larger more expensive one so there's bound to be somewhat of a difference. Personally I like the sound of rain and would rather be listening to it from inside a tent than a trailer but those days are behind me.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #8

I had a more expensive trailer with a thick fiberglass roof and you could still hear the rain. I liked the sound of the rain, it confirmed to me that I was nice and cozy in my trailer rather than out in it.

Not many solutions that I can think of. Slide toppers help if your headboard is in a slide out, not the case for you. You could rig a tent fly over the bed end of the trailer so that the rain impact is muted and farther away, totally impractical in my mind.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

Ask someone about the sound of the rain on a tent, and suddenly you'll enjoy the sound of the rain on your TT roof.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
thinking back...

compared to the old aluminum roofed rv’s, the sound of rain on a rubber roof aint nuttin’
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I have a smaller rig, considered a light weight. It seems extremely noisy when it rains... Do the bigger rigs have this issue?...
It's not the length; it's the price/construction. Our trailer is a whole 5" longer than yours, but the dry weight is 800lbs heavier and the price difference is non-trivial. I've been consistently amazed at how quiet the thing is when it rains. Growing up we had a 1960s vintage aluminum travel trailer and I loved the sound of the rain, even though it was loud. We've had a couple of really good night time rain showers now in our new trailer and I've just slept right through them all. I was expecting less noise, but not almost none. Sure, there's some from the skylight, but even that is double paned and we keep the door to the bathroom closed at night.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:36 AM   #12

Love rain on my Fiver roof...the louder the better...sleep like a baby!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Beautiful White Noise.

Sound proofing is also Insulation so - hoping the insulation is good, otherwise not easy to keep cool.

JMHO

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #14

Has nothing to do with expensive TT’s over cheap ones. But has everything to do with type of insulation, and roofing materials.
Batt insulation will be thicker, and quieter. Rigid foam is thinner, and does not block it as much.
Personally I don’t like batt insulation especially when it does not have a good vapor barrier. Any moisture from inside or outside gets in that batt insulation and it gets moldy, and smelly real quick.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, roof