Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #1

Roof Repair/or replacement??

Ok I have been sporadically been getting some leaks into my kitchen on my 2000 Sunnybrook TT. Only happens when it rains HARD, I have not been there when it leaked as the trailer is 3 1/2 hours away. This weekend I went up to winterize and noticed there was a little more water than usual so I climbed onto the roof and found a little cluster of small holes and 1 gap about 3 inches long and 1/4 inch wide. So I sealed these holes with Phenoseal® Does It All!® Vinyl Adhesive Caulk, did I make a huge mistake?? Would I be OK to just go up and remove the installed Phenoseal and relace it with Eternabond tape or could I just Eternabod over the repairs??? Novice mistake, I know I should have looked here first beut didn`t know about the holes till I saw them. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
The sun will prolly hit that and make it run/sag/leak again...

What type of roof? If metal, dont use Eternabond, go to Lowes and get 6" 'Peel & Seal' in the gutter department. Better and thicker then Eternabond but with an Aluminum top layer. Made for permanent repairs on metal roofs. Great stuff and 1/3 the price.

http://www.solutions.mfmbp.com/MFM-0...20brochure.pdf

Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #3

The roof I believe is some type of THIN THIN THIN rubber coating over thin plywood, through the holes in the skin I can see the texture of the plywood. I am not real sure what material the roof is but my belief is that it is rubber and REAL thin.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ok.. it'll work on rubber (EDPM or TPO), but wont look as good due to the aluminum layer..

As for now, I'd use some Dicor over it.. should hold through the winter. Then start looking at how to fix the underlying problem, ie: new rubber.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
GPW

FM , don’t feel alone ... the roof on my Jayco FS is a very thin TPO (as thin as a cheap vinyl tablecloth from the Dollar Store ) over the cheapest quality 3/32” THIN untreated plywood ... very prone to tears , holes and Leaks and Rot .... Certainly Not a reliable roof as I’ve already had a couple finger sized limbs go completely through the roof ...

The dealer repaired it , just putting more thin plywood over the holes and re roofed it with more of the same TPO, although Jayco discontinued using it .... the bill was $5000.00 ... I am NOT happy !!!! grrrrr!!!! Eventually , the plan is to replace the ultra thin TPO crap with a good Rubber roof ... something the dealer told me originally Came with the trailer ... He lied !!! And that wasn’t the only thing that I was misled on ...
I still wonder how the RV manufacturers can get away with such POOR quality construction ... ??? At the time of the purchase , I was new to RVing , didn’t know , and unknowingly took the word of the Dealer... NEVERMORE !!!!

My new RV tech friend (who enlightened me to what is really going on ) said most of the problems with these units start with a leak on the roof , so pay Special attention to that ...

I tried Eternabond tape ... Like it ... but you do have to Clean the surface Well before application... and really rub it down to best seal ... Also found it doesn’t like to go over lumps , bumps or screws...
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman View Post
Ok I have been sporadically been getting some leaks into my kitchen on my 2000 Sunnybrook TT. Only happens when it rains HARD, I have not been there when it leaked as the trailer is 3 1/2 hours away. This weekend I went up to winterize and noticed there was a little more water than usual so I climbed onto the roof and found a little cluster of small holes and 1 gap about 3 inches long and 1/4 inch wide. So I sealed these holes with Phenoseal® Does It All!® Vinyl Adhesive Caulk, did I make a huge mistake?? Would I be OK to just go up and remove the installed Phenoseal and relace it with Eternabond tape or could I just Eternabod over the repairs??? Novice mistake, I know I should have looked here first beut didn`t know about the holes till I saw them. Thanks
Stop playing around with it and try this. Liquid Roof, Liquid rubber for Roof, EPDM Rubber for Roof Good for many years.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
He's in New Jersey.. Have to wait till at least spring to do that..
Old 10-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
T
If metal, dont use Eternabond,
Eternabond has an aluminum backed for aluminum roofs. Used all the time by the owners of Avions, Airstream and such.

As for price, look for Eternabond online at roofing supply places...much cheaper than RV suppliers.

Personally, I'll stick with the Etrnabond brand name over knock-offs.

Ken
Old 10-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Personally, I'll stick with the Etrnabond brand name over knock-offs.
Eternabond was NOT the first... And WAY over priced..
Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #10

Be careful what you use, some of the liquid products not designed for RV's will cause the glue in the plywood to fail.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Eternabond was NOT the first... And WAY over priced..
And that is why I said to shop the internet roofing suppliers and not the RV dealers. I found a deal on Eternabond.....

ken
Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have the rig reroofed I'd use BriteTek, It's not much more expensive than rubber but far tougher and more resistant to damage. It's a TPO product with a felt like backing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #13

Welcome to the "Sunnybrook leaking roof" club, or in my case the "Sunnybrook anywhere you can imagine a leak" club. I have an '08 Sunnybrook tt purchased new & have been plagued by leaks since day #1. My dealer has solved some of the leaks & I have hopefully - at least for today - taken care of the rest.

My last adventure was a soft roof in the front left side of trailer which necessitated my cutting out and replacing a 3 foot by 3 foot section of the roof. It also involved replacing the fiberglass insulation which was also soaked. Fortunately I caught the problem before any interior damage was done. After re-gluing the rubber membrane in place I sealed the area with Eternabond tape & caulked over the edges of the tape as a further precaution.

I just purchased an additional roll of Eternabond - 4" wide X 50' long & will probably need another roll as I am in the process (might have to wait till spring as I also live in NJ) of using it on EVERY area of the roof where a screw is used to fasten anything - ex., the ac, the TV antenna, the roof vents, bathroom skylight, rain gutters, you get the picture - just to hopefully insure that I can stop what has pretty much ruined the entire RV experience for me.

From the positive testimonials for Eternabond I believe that's the way to go for you to solve your problems. If you possess basic handyman skills & some fairly simple tools the repair should not be too difficult. I've not had the best of luck with some of the workmanship of my local RV dealer, even at their going rate of around $110-$120 per hour.

All the best, jodann
Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #14

I was at work and one of the Boilermakers overheard me taliking bout EDPM membrane. He then went back to the shop and called me over to show me some Firestone Self sealing rolls of rubber he was going to use as a quick patch for some expansion joins at work, BTW these are 12" wide by 50 foot long. The kit comes with a scuff pad, brushes, a hard roller, and a EDPM vulcanizer epoxy. He claims this will seal damn near anything and last for some time. I already bought the eternabond so I will probably use that but this stuff will be getting some use if needed, the price was right and there is lots of it.

Tags
replacement, roof