Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

Roof sealant

Has anyone used the blackjack brand Ultra 1000 roof sealer on their TT rubber roof .
Lowe's has it in stock .
Instruction on the can say for RV,s and customer reviews are good.
2Bargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 10:59 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A 'rubber roof' is actually a EDPM membrane. I looked at a site for the Blackjack brand Ultra 1000 roof sealer and it made reference to being safe for EDPM membranes. I'd use a product made for EDPM roofs. I also wonder if a "Siliconized Elastomeric Coating" will cause the kind of problems folks have trying to remove silicone caulk. It always fails and nothing else will stick to it, causing big headaches for future repairs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #3

Thanks for the info Bob.I ordered Hengs and should have it in a few days.I have seen the name come up a few times here and everyone seemed pleased with it.

Last thing I want is to use something that may create problems where one didnt exist.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #4

2 types of rubber roofs. EPDM & TPO. Is it safe for both types?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Re-reading my post, I left out the word "no" As in "..it made no reference to being safe for EDPM membranes". It didn't mention TPO either. Sorry for the omission.

Neither Lowes Home Improvement or Gardner-Gibson mention EDPM or TPO, although Lowes mentions, "Best for metal, tile or built-up roofing (BUR)" A BUR roof is usually described as layers of asphalt and gravel with layers of fabric.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #6

Out of curiosty I searched around until I found a way to contact blackjack.
In a email reply I received from them,,it is not for use on any type of "rubber" roof used on an RV,
Old 02-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #7

I've been looking at Hengs, but noticed an orange color can and a blue can....anyone know the difference?
silverado07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado07 View Post
I've been looking at Hengs, but noticed an orange color can and a blue can....anyone know the difference?
If you're talking about Blackjack products, the blue label seems to tout the 'siliconized' version. The red label doesn't mention silicone. NEITHER PRODUCT SUGGESTS IT WILL WORK ON A EDPM OR TPO RV ROOF.

I first thought Hengs might be a store you were shopping. After more thought I looked up Hengs and found it to be an Elkhart, IN RV product manufacturer. They list 4 roof coatings on their website, 3 of which aren't suitable for RV rubber roofs. One is listed suitable, but doesn't show a container label. The other 3 are in blue labeled cans.

I've used Dicor products, they work.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #9

If you use anything with silicone you will regret it, as you cannot apply anything over it without completely removing the old stuff. Not fun
Old 02-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you're talking about Blackjack products, the blue label seems to tout the 'siliconized' version. The red label doesn't mention silicone. NEITHER PRODUCT SUGGESTS IT WILL WORK ON A EDPM OR TPO RV ROOF.

I first thought Hengs might be a store you were shopping. After more thought I looked up Hengs and found it to be an Elkhart, IN RV product manufacturer. They list 4 roof coatings on their website, 3 of which aren't suitable for RV rubber roofs. One is listed suitable, but doesn't show a container label. The other 3 are in blue labeled cans.

Thanks for the info on Hengs Rv roof coating
silverado07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't use anything on my RV roof that is not made for that purpose.
Dicor makes some good products for what you are trying to accomplish.

Like other mentioned, you'll regret putting anything silicone on your roof.

Best of luck.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bargos View Post
Has anyone used the blackjack brand Ultra 1000 roof sealer on their TT rubber roof .
Lowe's has it in stock .
Instruction on the can say for RV,s and customer reviews are good.
know nothing about blackjack brand Ultra 1000, always use this comparison list http://profyhome.com/best-roof-sealant/ its conveniently and quickly.
MagnificaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:54 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

Looking up Heng's products I found the rubber roof coating on Amazon and it is indeed the yellow label.

https://www.amazon.com/Hengs-Rubber-...gateway&sr=8-3
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Is it self leveling like Dicor? I prefer to stick with industry standard products that are designed for rv's not just "can be used for". Saves headaches later with sealant compatibilty issues.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal, sealant