Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #1

After being away from RVing for about eight years, we are looking for a new travel trailer. We've had a motorhome and a 5er in the past. Fulltimed in a Jayco fiver for about three years. We have just about settled on a new Keystone Sprinter 272RLS trailer. While looking at it yesterday, I noticed there are NO roof vents (except in the bathroom). Salesman said they have been deleted in the new models because of problems with water leaks. I can't imagine being without a roof vent, preferably with a fantastic fan in it. Does anyone know what's going on with this? Just Keystone, or other manufacturers too? Maybe just a content delete to save money? Any thoughts??
sixwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #2

After being away from RVing for about eight years, we are looking for a new travel trailer. We've had a motorhome and a 5er in the past. Fulltimed in a Jayco fiver for about three years. We have just about settled on a new Keystone Sprinter 272RLS trailer. While looking at it yesterday, I noticed there are NO roof vents (except in the bathroom). Salesman said they have been deleted in the new models because of problems with water leaks. I can't imagine being without a roof vent, preferably with a fantastic fan in it. Does anyone know what's going on with this? Just Keystone, or other manufacturers too? Maybe just a content delete to save money? Any thoughts??
Old 08-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #3

I was under the impression all those extra vents where options. My TT (granted it's older and smaller)only has 1 roof vent in the bathroom. I installed a Fantastic Fan in it, and it works great, I just have to leave the bathroom door open to draw air in the rest of the camper. I've been thinking of cutting a couple large holes in the bathroom door and installing something like a register vent over the holes. That way I could still get ventalation to the rest on the trailer with the bathroom door closed.

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
sixwheel,

First, thanks for posting. Welcome to irv2. You've come to the right place for answers.

I, personally, have not noticed the lack of vents in either TT's or 5-r's. I can't imagine 1 vent being enough, even in the smallest of rv's. I most especially think it's important to have a vent above the stove/oven (not just in the bath) since most TT's & 5-r's I've looked at don't vent the hood exhaust outside (they just blow the air back into the rv - how dumb is that?!?!?!?).

We've never had a leak issue with any of our vents. IMO, if the mfr has an issue with leaks, then they aren't installing them properly & using leaking as a reason not to put them in is ignoring the production issue rather than addressing it.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:02 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Our 5th wheel has the 2 air conditioners ducted in the ceiling and an exhaust fan in the toilet room as well as above the range. It has no crank-up vents in the ceiling.

I suspect the lack of these vents in our RV has more to do with sound deadening and maintaining the R value of the insulation package than with the manufacturer "cheaping out".

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses. Wife is pretty much set on this trailer but I think the vent (lack of) issue could be a deal breaker for me. We've also never had leak issues with vents on previous RV's.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it all works out.

Sixwheel
Old 08-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #7

Just a guess but it might be their excuse as to why they did not install any vents in the roof. My Alfa had 3, one in the living room with a fantastic fan and one in the bathroom and the on in the bedroom that I just installed an A/C unit into.

Paul
Old 08-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the lack of roof vents is purely cost related for the manufacturer. It cost him $$$ to frame out and brace for a vent hole and then more $$$ to add a vent.

Our old 79 SS has 3 roof vents plus the hole for the A/C.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I guess I'm in the distinct minority here, but I've had 'em in all of our previous RVs, and I don't miss them at all in our current one. In fact, I'd rather not have them.

No, I've never had them leak, but I've certainly had them sweat in cold weather, and the lack of insulating and sound deadening qualities of the plastic "lids" meant that our vents in our previous RVs kept the insulating pillow-thingies in them just about all the time.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty, us folks that have real camping trailers sometimes run the fans and open the vents. You have a rolling Hilton and always want the A/C.

We keep our vents covered with the insulated blankets to help out against the heat and cold.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote