Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
Question Rooftop A/C

Sorry for newby questions........
can roof top air conditioners be serviced and or rechared?
Looking at an older trailer and am told the a/c works but isnt blowing very cool air, so would like to know what I would be getting into.

Ed & Cheryl Berry

Hurricane, Utah
nomadutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
They can be recharged, but there isn't a port to do it so they have to add one, by that time you're better off the change the whole unit as everything else is getting too old anyway and the expense is too high.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
Funny this topic came I just took a look at mine this weekend and noticed a thick layer of dust on the intake fins. I am skocked the thing works at all . I didnt thinkrealize the intake fins needed cleaning
2016 3500 6.7L DRW
2010 Starcraft 329BHU TT
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Ok, food for thought. Thanks
Ed & Cheryl Berry

Hurricane, Utah
Old 10-13-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
if it needs a recharge, there is a leak.
2004 307 Keystone Sprinter
BigTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want take the roof cover off and clean the coils, sometimes I get away with compressed air but sometimes it takes the garden hose to get the crud off. Unplug the Camper if you use water, and spray only the coil fins.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 120K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:23 AM   #7
My old Jayco wasn't working too well and found that the condenser fins were all bent over. No air flow. Sat up there and straightened them and all was ok. There had been a hail storm.
scopey58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #8
thank you for the responses.....
the trailer I am considering is a 1979 Komfort and it has been cared for like none other I have looked at so far......I will take all the advise given and eliminate all possibilities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1239558-1412808750-795723.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	76572  
Ed & Cheryl Berry

Hurricane, Utah
Old 10-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can they be serviced?
The most common service needed by a Rooftop (or window) air conditioner is cleaning,,, This needs to be done at least once a year if not more often,,, And that is a user doable job.. I have seen air conditioners ruined by lack of cleaning (thankfully only one was mine and it was cheap.. The replacement was also bigger).

Remove the top cover, then remove the cover on the condenser, and inspect, Odds are the fins are fully clogged.

A soft brush and compressed air work wonders (you can use water too but compressed air works better).

YOu may wish to open the evaporator compartment and clean it as well (if needed it has intake filters so does not need the same degree of cleaning)

If it is low on coolant... See above replies. Seriously though these things can run 10-20 or more years without a recharge Same as a residential fridge (Same system in fact) so if it needs re-charging, Something is wrong.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #10
Nice clean looking unit !!! Be sure to slide underneath with an ice pick and probe for rot, especially around doorways and corners ! I learned the hard way !!!!!

rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote