Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh, I can trust a friend or even a professional, only if I can check his work forst.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #16

Well seems I might have got a little luck on my side for now, everything seems operational except big TV and microwave when changed back properly. Trying to get the drawer out to see if the converter is a plug in, manual says unplug wait a few minutes then plug back in. Question when plugged into (correctly) shore power, (purchasing a surge protector this week-in) does the slides still run off battery? Seems when I slide in and out that my battery gets run down but back almost to pull power later on.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUTTER View Post
Well seems I might have got a little luck on my side for now, everything seems operational except big TV and microwave when changed back properly. Trying to get the drawer out to see if the converter is a plug in, manual says unplug wait a few minutes then plug back in. Question when plugged into (correctly) shore power, (purchasing a surge protector this week-in) does the slides still run off battery? Seems when I slide in and out that my battery gets run down but back almost to pull power later on.
Glad it's looking a bit better.

Yes, I think your slides always are powered by battery. Even when plugged in to shore power. At least on many Winnies, they recommend that the engine be running when operating the slides so that the batteries have the benefit of being fed by the alternator.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Plug the Microwave into a cord ran from the house and see it it still works.

I know that when the Neutral went at the Duplex I own, just about every thing that relied on a power supply like TV's and VCR's took a dump, but the Micro and Fridge/Freezers were still good..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Glad to hear that things weren't quite as bad as originally thought! Good luck and I hope all is back to normal soon.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #20

When I was having the wiring done on my new house I was using a friend who has been an electrician for many years to do all my wiring. I had a hard time getting him to understand what my RV plug I was putting in was all about. He kept thinking and arguing 220. I went with him to the electrical supply for the right parts and looked over his shoulder when it was connected to make sure we got that one right.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Oh, I can trust a friend or even a professional, only if I can check his work forst.
As Reagan told Gorbachev, "Trust, but verify"
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #22

I am glad things are looking up.
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slides run of the 12 volt system, the 12 volt system INCLUDES the batteries, AND the converter. Alas I can say no more from what you have said.

I usually plug in and run my slides off my converter.. but sometimes, (It is a logistic thing) it is easier for me to pull the shore cord BEFORE I move the slide (or put the slide out without shore power) just using the batteries.

And that Txiceman said about even professionals is good advice,, Many profressionals lookign at a TT-30 see a dryer or other 230 volt device outlet and wire it for that.. NOT a 120 volt outlet, EVEN THOUGH IT VERY CLEARLY STATES 120 VOLTS ON THE OUTLET!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #24

On the point of smoke. I am an electrician by trade and I can tell you this. Smoke is needed in electrical wiring. It will not work without it. As an example when the smoke comes out of the wire it stops working. So always please make sure to re fill the smoke in the wiring.
Juat to be sure no one takes this to heart I am JK
mecfd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #25

I think I would take the fellow with you shopping. When he asks why you want to buy all new stuff for your brand new RV... you can explain to him what happened. Maybe he will offer to pay for part of it. If not at least you get to get in a back handed gig for his part in this mess. (He will see how much is mistake cost you.)
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #26

sputter --- sence the tv and microwave are fryed. you might pop them open and see if you got lucky and they have a fuse. friends home stereo has a fuse inside.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #27

Another good idea...hire a licensed electrician.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
Another good idea...hire a licensed electrician.
Again, even they make mistakes like this all the time. Being licensed is no guarantee he knows how to do RV pedestals..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote