Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

Rotten floor help

so I found out the floor is bad under the the slide out and also on the slide out in the corner. How do I get to the floor under the 6inches the slide out covers to replace? Also and suggestions on changing out the slide out floor as well. thanks Its a 2000 gulf stream conquest
BigHoss37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss37 View Post
so I found out the floor is bad under the the slide out and also on the slide out in the corner. How do I get to the floor under the 6inches the slide out covers to replace? Also and suggestions on changing out the slide out floor as well. thanks Its a 2000 gulf stream conquest
Wow good luck with the area under the slide, you might have to remove the slide to get to that area? And from watching videos of campers with slide out being built the slide is really heavy and needs some serious assistance to pull and support it!! Unless someone can tell you something I don't know possiblely going through the slide floor since you have to fix that also as long as it doesn't affect the integratty of the slide being torn apart that far??? I own a 2004 Gulfstream with a pretty big slide and that was one of my fears when I found a bad leak that I would have to remove the slide (I got lucky) I really hope someone has a solution for you but I would be careful messing with removing that slide unless you really know what your doing if it's not supported right and falls for any reason someone could get hurt real bad!! Or Killed the slide will also get damaged beyond repair!!!! I estimate my GS slide is way over 1000lbs possibly 1500lbs with the windows, and furniture built into it.
renhcir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

yeah i'm not looking forward to this project was really hoping someone out there had done this before to offer some advice. thanks
Old 10-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHoss37 View Post
yeah i'm not looking forward to this project was really hoping someone out there had done this before to offer some advice. thanks
I would Google your issue there might be something out there??? I haven't seen anyone mention this type of repair here but keep your hopes up nothing is impossible.
renhcir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have done several and the best way is to remove the slide, not the easiest but the best and you have to have the equipment to do it, a fork lift works best and good level area. Not really a first time do it yourself job, although it can be done with patience and safety in mind.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

another question about the floor will I need to replace it with carpet again or can I use other flooring? that is once I figure it out
Old 10-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #7

The best way to fix that is to raise the black tank vent and pull a new trailer underneath it. I would rather spend time camping than working on a 17 year old trailer.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Depends what type of slide you have, if it has rollers where it comes in yes. I have seen some other types of flooring used also, I'll see if I can find it.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 AM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Personally I would do as another poster suggested... Give it a spit shine and trade it of for a motorhome
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #10

Well we just bought this one and its our first so we aren't going to be trading it in and we didn't know it needed this kind of work when we bought it but it is what it is and we will be fixing it and keeping it for a bit. thanks for the suggestions
Old 10-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Go on YouTube There are plenty of videos relating to repairing RV slide floors. Not sure what you mean "How do I get to the floor under the 6inches the slide out covers to replace?".

Two major types of slides: On top of floor slide (those are usually the smaller slides that only go out 18") more found on cheaper / smaller RV trailers or Frame integrated slides. These are the larger slides that extend out up to 40" and maybe 12-14' long. On these I'll see videos where people support the bottom of the slide and work from inside to tear up the floor plywood and replace.

One couple I follow on Youtube Josh and Kali | The Freedom Theory On their channel they did a slide repair back about 2 years ago. Just about what you are dealing with. Just go back in their list of videos and watch...Or do a youtube search josh and kali the freedom theory slide repair
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #12

thanks super I have the big slide and also the slide has part of it covering the main camper floor, which is also rotten there and I can't get to it without removing the slide it looks like but was hoping there was a way. but I will check out the video's thanks
Old 10-11-2017, 11:15 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would call that a "super slide"...If the whole slide floor is roached / rotted / shot / soft edge to edge, then a whole floor replacement is in order. That might require a slide removal. That is why when buying a used unit, water damage is the #1 thing you have to look for.

If it needs to be removed, then a repair facility with a fork lift is in order. Sometimes you can find a independent little RV repair shop that will be cheaper than the dealer $110 to $140 an hour.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #14

thanks Super I'll be looking into it but I might remove the slide out floor to get to the main floor first and if that works I'll be good.

Tags
floor