Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Angry Rubber roof damage

I had a branch tear a small area of EPDM roof. I had it patched by qualified tech. The roof is 8 years old. I am considering replacing it. However someone told me to looking into a heavy duty RV liquid sealer that acts like a membrane over the roof. Whie I have no leaks I am concerned for the future. I do not like the rubber type roof but think some type liquid sealer would provide me extra protection as it would apply a rubber type layer over the existing roof. Then I could buy a heavy duty RV cover for storage. Does anyone know of a type of heavy duty dealer that would cover the entire roof? Also any suggestions for a heavy duty cover?

2003 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab.
Jersey Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Here is a link to some previous threads on liquid roofs. Hope this helps.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Liqui...earch=irv2.com
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Liquid Roof Coatings | EPDM Rubber Coatings - Residential and Commercial Roofing for roof leaks repair Is touted to be an excellent roof coating. There is one thing to look at, the cost chart on that website states $9,600 if you hire it done. If you are handy with your hands and confident, you can totally replace the membrane for less. A few irv2.com members have replaced their own membrane, hopefully they will see your question and reply. Rated #1 Buy liquid roof | The Only Liquid EPDM Rubber in the World! is another website selling Liquid Roof, and they have how-to pages.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I still don't understand why it costs $5,000 - $8,000 to replace a rubber roof. It is a $100 piece of rubber, some sealant, and some labor. Seems like this is an area the dealers/shops stick it to us. I have replaced the roof on a 3,000 sqft house including new sheathing using top quality products for $8,000 in materials.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

If you don't have any leaks I wouldn't worry about it. I did the same thing to my roof when it was 1 1/2 years old, had a tree branch tear a hole in it. I drove to the closest repair facility in Salinas, CA. and they repaired it. The material they used was made by the same company that makes the rubber membrane roofs and the rv tech said that it did NOT affect my roof warranty which was 10 year ( if I remember correctly)
Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
I still don't understand why it costs $5,000 - $8,000 to replace a rubber roof. It is a $100 piece of rubber, some sealant, and some labor. Seems like this is an area the dealers/shops stick it to us. I have replaced the roof on a 3,000 sqft house including new sheathing using top quality products for $8,000 in materials.
Its more labor intense than meets the eye. Awnings and slide covers must be removed. All drip rail and bands at the end caps must come off. ACs and any vents or skylites must come off.
Removing the old roofing is not just a matter of pulling it off, its glued down. depending on the type of adhesive used it will require a heat gun or must be cut loose. The louan should be sanded to remove any remaining adhesive. The easy part is putting on the new membrane, then everything has to be put back and sealed.
The places I am aware of charge $4,500 for a 30ft motorhome.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Its more labor intense than meets the eye. Awnings and slide covers must be removed. All drip rail and bands at the end caps must come off. ACs and any vents or skylites must come off.
Removing the old roofing is not just a matter of pulling it off, its glued down. depending on the type of adhesive used it will require a heat gun or must be cut loose. The louan should be sanded to remove any remaining adhesive. The easy part is putting on the new membrane, then everything has to be put back and sealed.
The places I am aware of charge $4,500 for a 30ft motorhome.

Sure, I understand that and they should get paid for that effort. I just feel $2,000 - $2500 is more than fair which is probably 20-30 times materials where 2x materials is typical for labor on most types of jobs like this but the labor on this is much more effort than a few hundred in materials so I get the exponential labor costs. Maybe I'm over simplifying it but for a DIY type person I'd think it would be a weekend project if they had a helper.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
"Some labor", at $100 to $120 per hour per man it adds up fast. The cost of materials is minor compared to the labor. One day for two men is $1600 to $1920. Not only do thay have to remove the air cons and vents as well as the old membrane and they will have to repair any soft spots and fill areas of the sheeting that pulled up. Spread the glue, law down the new membrane, install and seal all the vents/air cons etc, plus guarantee the work.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof