Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #29

My owner's manual states "Do not operate your refrigerator on LP gas while traveling because most states regulations prohibit the use of LP gas while in tow". Not knowing all the states regs, I always run my refrigerator on LP(propane) while under tow.
Camping/towing this way since 1969.
Regards,
Catfish

j2catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #30

Will be turning mine on while driving, thanks for the information

Old 09-24-2016, 10:16 AM   #31

I must say I forget to turn off at refuelling.

But really is there not enough air flow going on outside that would keep fumes from just sitting in one spot to cause a issue.

I could be wrong
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
I must find that some of the info here is interesting. My RV service tech say's to turn it off while traveling. But it seems that he is living in yesteryear. My TT is a 2017 Hideout and with all those safety devices in place it seems that it would be safe to operate propane while traveling. As I mentioned before I am new to towing. My previous 2 RVs was a motorhomes that had 3 way. Good info people. I now do feel better with the knowledge.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slar62 View Post
Are there any laws saying you need to turn it off when you are driving?
Only when going through some tunnels and some ferries.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #34

That's what it's designed for, we leave it on auto all of the time (it's great when there is a power failure at home). We only turn it off when the law mandates that it be off (in tunnels), and when fueling.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:44 AM   #35

Agreed with all of the posts. No real concerns traveling with your fridge on LP. Great information shared. We have towed all over the East Coast with ours on for the past 12 years and no issues. If fridge is near fuel pumps, then I would turn off just as an extra precaution when refuelling. However, static electricity is probably more (or as least equally) concerning when refuelling.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVWilley View Post
We are still pretty new to rv'ing (this is our 1st season). My husband doesn't want to drive with the propane on for the fridge due to safety. So we are still taking an ice chest and putting food in the fridge after connecting to hookups at the campsite. Do ya'll drive with fridge running on propane or is that not safe?
WVWilley
I have...(for 121k miles on my current coach), and for 168k miles on my previous coach.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #37

When fueling I think it's more important to turn off the fridge rather than the propane. If the fridge is left on and the propane is turned off, the fridge will attempt to re-light after the propane in the line is used up. The spark could set off fuel vapours around the gas pumps...JMHO
Old 09-24-2016, 06:45 PM   #38

We have for years. I start it 2 days before we go, load it up night before and turn it off when it finally gets cleaned out till the next trip
Old 09-24-2016, 08:00 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVWilley View Post
We are still pretty new to rv'ing (this is our 1st season). My husband doesn't want to drive with the propane on for the fridge due to safety. So we are still taking an ice chest and putting food in the fridge after connecting to hookups at the campsite. Do ya'll drive with fridge running on propane or is that not safe?

One point i didn't see mentioned is the need to have our propane absorption refrigerators level. We all level at camp but while driving on most terrain that will keep things working right but if i were to travel a longer mountain pass i would be turning it off.

Not sure if the newer RV's have a saftey for this but I know my 2009 noricold doesn't

There is an aftermarket device called ARP that will automatically shut the burner off if the burner tube gets to hot from running off level.

There is much to read about absorption refigerators on this forum. below is one of them
Installed ARP control on Norcold
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:16 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Run fridge on propane on the road?

On a return trip home recently we stopped for a bite to eat and it was obvious I wasn't even close to level so I turned it off while we were in eating. It's life with a LP Norcold.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
One point i didn't see mentioned is the need to have our propane absorption refrigerators level.

My now 20 year old Norcold, (in my now 148k mile coach), is always ON when whenever we're using the coach.
I only turn it off when fueling.... never while driving... and put I always park level or use the levelers, (even when stopping in rest areas or to get a bite to eat).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-25-2016, 09:35 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
On a return trip home recently we stopped for a bite to eat and it was obvious I wasn't even close to level so I turned it off while we were in eating. It's life with a LP Norcold.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
As service manager I was sent to factory school on Dometic and Norcold. Both schools were in 1993. The cooling coils were redesigned before 1993. If you have a refrigerator made before the 1990's, It can be damaged by parking unlevel. If Your cooling coil is 1990 or newer, It will have to run off level for days to do damage. (Not from me. According to the manufacturers.)

Tags
fridge, propane