Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #1

Run fridge on propane on the road?

We are still pretty new to rv'ing (this is our 1st season). My husband doesn't want to drive with the propane on for the fridge due to safety. So we are still taking an ice chest and putting food in the fridge after connecting to hookups at the campsite. Do ya'll drive with fridge running on propane or is that not safe?
WVWilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #2

Hi,

I am sure to be the first of many to say they always drive with the refrigerator running on propane when driving. In fact, doing this since 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVWilley View Post
We are still pretty new to rv'ing (this is our 1st season). My husband doesn't want to drive with the propane on for the fridge due to safety. So we are still taking an ice chest and putting food in the fridge after connecting to hookups at the campsite. Do ya'll drive with fridge running on propane or is that not safe?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #3

7 months on the road and I only turn it off for tank fills.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #4

Been four years towing for me.

Always run with propane on.

Only shut it off when defrosting the fridge.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #5

Always on LPG. Except with my first MH and I didn't know any better......thought I had to have the genny on. We learn as we go!!!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The propane system is designed, built, tested and certified to be on while on the road. Been doing it since I started RV'ing in 1958 with my parents.
Right now I'm in the process of replacing the only propane in my RV, the cooktop, with an induction unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #7

Running fridge on propane while traveling

We have always had our refrigerators running on propane while traveling to our destination. We did it first with our Starcraft pop-up in the '80's, then we had a 2012 Forest River toy hauler and now with our Keystone 5th wheel. Never any issues and stayed lit until we plugged into shore power. It has been working great for us so far. I am not aware of any issues that have occurred, but maybe someone will come along with a story to enlighten us to the dangers of filling your unit with propane, which I do not believe is possible even in the worst case scenario.
The bottom line is...put your cooler away and save the ice for the cold beverage of your choice while you enjoy the time saved with your family and friends! I know I am!
WingHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I, too, have always kept the refrigerator/freezer running on propane while driving. I only shut it off when I am refueling.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I always did turn off the propane till my last outing. I was a bit nervous about it, why? because I thought what could happen if I was in an accident? Probably will keep it on in the future but the "what if" will always be in the back of my mind. So you have to weigh the "safe way" with the "convenience way".
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #10

We always drive with our fridge on propane. Our fridge is on the opposite side of the TT and fuel input on my truck and it's always sticking well back from the gas pumps, so I don't turn it off when refueling.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
I always drive with fridge on propane. Nothing wrong with it.
coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrySharon View Post
I always did turn off the propane till my last outing. I was a bit nervous about it, why? because I thought what could happen if I was in an accident? Probably will keep it on in the future but the "what if" will always be in the back of my mind. So you have to weigh the "safe way" with the "convenience way".
The newer propane tanks have a "high flow" shut off built in. If the flow goes too high the shut off is activated. That's why it's sometimes hard to get the propane to flow. Open the shut off valve too quickly and it activates the high flow shut off. Just like what would happen in an accident if a line ruptures.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do what your husband wants, even if he wants it for all the wrong reasons.

You have a 2015 trailer. It has safety systems built in to help prevent propane problems like large rapid releases and fires. I have a 2015 trailer, and I have been full time for a year, with the fridge on propane while driving, and zero problems. Z-e-r-o.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:22 PM   #14

We turn the fridge on a couple days prior to leaving on a trip so it can cool down. The fridge is then on the entire time I'm on the road. It runs on propane when we are moving and runs on AC current when we are parked. This is how the fridge is designed. How are we supposed to keep our ice cubes frozen for our drinks at the end of the day? lol Your husband needs to be educated on modern RV appliances.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, propane